HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:27 PM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Discussion
Newbie to TT nitro Ducati,any help welcome!

Hi all, i am a newbie to RC bikes but not to RC, i have been flying heli's and planes for some time now, and recently came across a TT nitro which instantly gave me the bug, i have already purchased some mods (rear swingarm/damper/ally revo shock/fr disk brake).
What i am looking for and forgive me if i have not looked hard enough, i've searched all the motorcycle threads but fail to find anything like modding instruction/video. Would anyone have any links to some good threads/webpages for this....i think i like to strip and tinker more sometimes, my bike was secondhand so i like to make sure that the previous owner hasn't messed about with it too much, one thing i could point out is the back wheel seems to slightly out of balance and i would like any info/tips to correct this.
Thanks in advance, Lee.
elkay31 is offline Find More Posts by elkay31
Last edited by elkay31; Jan 05, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:49 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
Here is a thread on TTn mods that I always point people back to, since there is so much good information in there. It's a few years old now, but it's still good stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480648
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Thanks for that guidoracer i'll have good look thru........just another quick question, i will be fitting a new TT fr brake to the bike this week and heard that if tweaked properly can be quite a good brake,also ordered hitec metal gear servo, with a lot of torque in readiness as i presume more pulling power on the caliper would be better.....am i right on this or do you know any better tweaks??
Thanks again, Lee.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:36 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
Yes, it can be a great brake, if modded to give more leverage to the brake arm. In that thread I posted above, you'll see pics of my old TTn and others of the brake mod.

Now, the best thing you can do to the TT front brake is add Alleven RC's fiberglass rotor set, but it requires a Nuova Faor-style hex-hub front wheel. The NF hex brake hub is more reliable than Thunder Tiger's flower-type hub (I still can't come up with a good description for a hub that uses 5 semi-circular depressions as keys).

A good strong servo to handle front and rear brake duties, along with the throttle, is a good start. Because both brakes are engaged by one servo, it can be a bit of a pain to get them balanced. Try to set it so that the front brake grabs before the rear; the rear brake needs to just slow down the wheel, not lock it up, as most of the braking should be with the front.

Good luck, and keep us updated with your progress...

Lito
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
I will do, really looking forward to this, its not just the racing/driving.....its also the engineering!
Thanks Lito
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
I've been looking thru the threads on mods for the TT and one is suggesting that the springs in the front fork be clipped slightly to reduce the height of the forks......would anyone reccomend this?? as i only saw one thread on this so far.
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:03 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Basically the front wheel needs to drop about 3-4mm when you pick the bike up,it's called sag.It's effect is to keep the front wheel in contact with the road.
You also need to adjust the rear shock preload to get some sag,probably around 6-8mm.

If you're going to clip the springs do it a coil at a time until you get the sag you want.

You can adjust the preload in hydraulic forks to get the same effect.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Waterfall View Post
Basically the front wheel needs to drop about 3-4mm when you pick the bike up,it's called sag.It's effect is to keep the front wheel in contact with the road.

If you're going to clip the springs do it a coil at a time until you get the sag you want.

You can adjust the preload in hydraulic forks to get the same effect.

Allan
Thanks Allan, also whilst your here i have just fitted the TT fr brake and wondered what is the best method for running the inner cable and outer cable...should the outer cable be cut slightly to fit where the rear outer cable goes to, then thread inner cable to servo...any help appreciated.
Thanks again..
Last edited by elkay31; Jan 06, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: make clearer
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Thanks Allan, also whilst your here i have just fitted the TT fr brake and wondered what is the best method for running the cable and outer cable...should the outer cable be cut slightly to fit where the rear one gone goe then thread inner cable to servo...any help appreciated.
Thanks again..
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:38 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
From memory,the front outer cable is barely long enough to get a decent run so I wouldn't cut anything off it.

I use the TT brakes on all my bikes,but I run nylon outers with steel cable inners..
The cable I use is what the control line flyers use for lead outs and the nylon outer is I believe what the electric fliers use for control runs,it's less than 2mm OD and comes in metre lengths.

Pic of one of my bikes showing brake cables,click on the image to enlarge it and you can see the extensions on the front brake arm to give more leverage.
Ignore the Torque Works swing arm,I now only use the TT milled one.

The other pic is how I connect at the servo end,The eye is just another collet with a short bolt or piece of 3mm thread in it and the lock nuts are just tight enough that the collet can rotate as the servo arm moves.

Allan
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
thanks again Allan, just been thinking about the spring reduction on the forks....if i start to cut them one coil at a time is this not just reducing the height of the forks?? there stock TT nitro forks, sprung loaded??
I'm not sure about this one.
Thanks again, Lee.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Nice bike Allan, did you make you own fuel tank??
Wish i had you skills!!
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:17 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Yes you will lose a bit of height,but it's preferable to the forks being topped out all the time.

I hand make all my bikes and just use commercial parts,like,forks,wheels,swingarms etc.The tank is soldered up from tinplate.
There are three bikes like that in circulation with minor differences.
My latest bike has a different frame with an upright rear exhaust engine in it and an NF fuel tank.

All skills are acquired by doing things and making mistakes.

Pic of latest bike in the building stage,frame was subsequently remade before finishing and testing.

On it's first race meeting.

http://www.northern-radio-moto-club....ault/allan.jpg

Allan
Last edited by Allan Waterfall; Jan 06, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
i think i would consider making my own tank, didn't think solder would be ok for it, but if it works for you them i'm having a go, i could use the pipe inserts from an existing tt tank(which seems to leak a lot).
Thanks Allan, if you have a couple more pics of your bike to hand i would very much appreciate to see them.
Cheers, Lee.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:31 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Use a liquid flux like Bakers Soldering fluid,not the past type or you'll clog the fuel filter...ask me how I know this.
A lead tin solder works best,not like that lead free crap that eats copper soldering bits.

Pic of another one I made for John Veal,latest bike has less swing arm angle from the previous three.

Allan
Last edited by Allan Waterfall; Jan 06, 2010 at 05:43 PM.