Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 21, 2001, 09:42 AM
New Market, VA USA
Joined Feb 2001
25 Posts
GWS IPS S2 motor?

I have been interested in the discussion about the new IPS S1. However, Balsa Products is sold out of this model. They show an IPS S2, but don't give any data on it. It looks like the other IPS motors.

Does anyone have any info on this S2 motor? Any comparisons with the M100 sold by Parkfliers.com?

Alsoc, if you need a 7.2v, 1200mah lithium battery and charger, sciplus.com is selling them for $9.99. They weigh about the same as a 7 cell 720mah NiMH pack. You will need to open up the battery case and remove the internal electronics attached to the batteries, then connect your wires to the tabs. I haven't tried them out yet, but should be OK for the right application. The price is certainly good.

God bless America,
Jim
aucklajc is offline Find More Posts by aucklajc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2001, 10:28 AM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
You can also get 7.2V Li-Ion packs stand alone from Electronics Goldmine for $4.00 (last I checked). And they're actually 1400mAh (some are 1500mAh). You can find more detailed info, including datasheets, here, in a recent thread about these batteries . I've been getting at least 20 minutes in the air (at full throttle) with two of these cells on my PicoStick. I'm sure I could go longer, but I usually get tired of the mosquitos by then (the field I use is next to a somewhat "swampy" area). I'm not sure how long they'll actually go, but they seem to have plenty of voltage left after 20min. If you are running them completely out, you just have to be careful not to overdischarge them, since their minimum cell voltage is above the auto-cutoff level for most ESC's.

I just wanted to add a quip about the Li-Ion batteries. Sorry - I don't know anything about the S2. Or the S1, for that matter.

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Sep 21, 2001, 10:31 AM
The Alleged Pilot
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2001
244 Posts
The S1 and S2 are basically, exactly the same as the DX motors as far as anyone can tell. The only difference is that they use higher gear ratios. I've used both the S1 and the S2 and the S1 with the 8X6 prop seems to be the best - especially at 7.2V.

If Balsa Products is sold out try <A href="http://www.toddsmodels.com/brushedmotors.htm"> Todd's Models</A>. He has the S1 in stock for only $16. He also has a good price on the M100/Tr389 for $25.

I've just gotten the M100 and it appears to be a really good motor. It's larger and heavier than the GWS IPS motors and, although it would definitely fly a Lite Stick it's really too much motor for this application. I plan on using it in some scratch-built things I'm working on...

Interesting battery pack. I'm not sure what kind of cells these are but I'd definitely like to find out. I've been using 1400 MAH packs that I bought from <A href="http://www.goldmine-elec.com">Electronic Goldmine</A> for $3.80 each. They're good cells but a little on the heavy site at 3oz/pack. I'd love to find some cheap Li Ion cells that would weigh less than 1oz/cell... The fact that it comes with a charger is also very interesting. You could probably modify the charger to interface with the stripped down pack.. I'm gonna have to order one of these and try it out.

Thanks for the interesting web page, Jim. I just love surplus.

Jason.
eloquinn is offline Find More Posts by eloquinn
Old Sep 21, 2001, 11:11 AM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Slight correction.

The S1 and S2 drives use lower gear ratios. They are 4.14:1(S1) and 3.5:1(S2). They also use the DXC (carbon brushed) motor. They seem to be designed for fast flyers, more specifically, indoor pylon racers.

Can we say S1/S2 powered micro-kolibri and/or micro-IFO?

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Sep 21, 2001, 12:48 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Actually the S1 and S2 are not well sutied to the Mini IFO or Kolibri. Those aircraft would work better with the higher geared motors like the DC-A, B or C. These airplanes don't need speed at the prop but they to need thrust. You trade thrust for speed as the gear ratios get closer and closer to 1:1.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Sep 21, 2001, 02:03 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Actually, I was referring to building small, fast, and easy to build (possibly indoor) pylon racers patterned after the Kolibri and IFO. Why? Simply because they are so easy and quick to build. All one needs is a few CF rods, a sheet of ripstop nylon, dental floss, and CA.

Obviously, the only qualities they would end up sharing with the originals would be the general shape and name.

I recall someone with a GWS-powered 16" micro-IFO. Has that gentleman tried to use an S1 or S2 instead? If so, how was it?

Jun Nolasco

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingjamez
Actually the S1 and S2 are not well sutied to the Mini IFO or Kolibri. Those aircraft would work better with the higher geared motors like the DC-A, B or C. These airplanes don't need speed at the prop but they to need thrust. You trade thrust for speed as the gear ratios get closer and closer to 1:1.
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Sep 21, 2001, 02:05 PM
New Market, VA USA
Joined Feb 2001
25 Posts
Thanks for your quick feedback on my questions!

I may just go with the DXB, and perhaps try the M100 (is it the same as the Tr389?).

The lithium batteries from Sciplus.com are Sony. There are two 1200mah batteries in the 7.2v pack. By leaving the bottom half of the pack in place, after connecting your wire leads, the supplied charger can be used for recharging. I don't have a scale to weigh them, but as I said above, the pack weighs the same as a 7X720 NiMH. It would seem to me that this might be too heavy for a Pico Stick, but worth a try.

God bless America!
Old Sep 22, 2001, 12:18 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
They say will give forty percent more power , but a few posts say no way not sure what to think forty percent would be nice??
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Sep 22, 2001, 12:53 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Yes Jim the M100 is the same as the Tr389.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 23, 2001, 02:40 AM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ6421
They say will give forty percent more power , but a few posts say no way not sure what to think forty percent would be nice??
40% more power is another way of saying 40% more current draw. I think they are really referring to the difference between the carbon motor and the DX with metal brushes. The carbon can handle more current if it is kept cool.
The S2 draws more watts than a DX-D, but produces less static thrust. However, the S2 has a much higher pitch speed so it can go way faster on a small, high pitch prop.
If it was 40% more efficient and that is where the power came from -- great. But that won't happen with these small motors.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Sep 24, 2001, 11:21 AM
New Market, VA USA
Joined Feb 2001
25 Posts
Thanks again for all of your help guys.

I have one more motor to ask about that you may be able to help with - the Multiplex 150BB. This appears to be the same as the GWS motors and comes in two different gear ratios: 7:1 and 9:1. It costs $18.95. The Multiplex website gives no performance data on this motor.

Does anyone have any more info on this motor, and how it compares to the GWS motors?
Old Sep 24, 2001, 12:03 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
The Multiplex 150BB is a GWS DX motor with a different label. They are the same.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53