HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:58 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,513 Posts
Build Log
Cockpits the cheapo way

My thanks to cybernaught for this method for his cockpit molding tecnique.
It might not be his idea but he posted it on the KF threads a while back.

I have tried the shrinking pop bottle over a couple of wooden formers.
Just using one of the cheap card craft hot air guns the pop bottles will shrink down till youve got a good finish..the big pull in at the front of a cockpit takes more heat to get a full shrink but the little craft blower will get there..

All you need are fizz bottles and wooden formers and a flame or hot air gun,
when placing the formers fill the bottle as much as possible. to get the formers tight as possible to the sides in the bottle
Remember the plastic pulls tight so fancy shapes dont work, fine details will not hold so are a waste of time.the pictures show two formers with a cola bottle shrunk arround them.

Only one down side is the fizz bottles plastic is a bit thin, so you might want to add some stiffening around the edges or inside..The upside is they are light weight, and come in a variety of transparent colors
Easy to do , make some nice cockpits and covers for your gear
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 13, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:01 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,513 Posts
Heres steve as cybernaught, his youtube video. the bottle shrunk in a flame..the craft blower does the job without the risks
PlasicParts2.mp4 (1 min 49 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap