SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2010, 12:29 AM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Electrifly Flylite

Is any one flying on of these? I have one I built pretty much by the manual except I used even lighter servos but I use a heavier battery 2s 610 7.4 so I probably break even on weight. It's a pretty cool putt putt slow flyer but when you crank it up it will do continuous loops, my only issue is the constant porpoising i suspect is cg related but I have moved stuff around and seem to still have the problem, but she will certainly fly in a small area IE my street and side yard which is pretty much dodging trees all the time but a blast.This is definitely a candidate for aileron conversion.
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Last edited by zaksdad; Jan 04, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:02 AM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Thanks for the post here is the link http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1107.html

It's about time someone other than parkzone does indoor stuff and being brushless with real servos is a giant plus.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Jan 04, 2010, 04:44 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
Maybe a couple degrees down thrust in the motor may help with the porpoising.
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:52 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
well thats what you would thank but it already has a ton of downthrust built into the motor mount so i don't think it needs more but I guess i could try adding more or take some out?
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:22 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Uhh, how about making sure your CG is correct, then making sure your elevator is centered?

Also, make sure you're not punching WOT the entire flight
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:52 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Well I don't mean to be a smart alec here but didn't you read my first post where I said it seems to be cg related and that I had moved things around and I'm obviously not flying around at wot all the time if I'm flying up and down a tree lined street, and yes the elevator is centered.I'm sorry if I sound testy but when a post starts with "Uhh" thats probably the reply you should expect.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:09 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
If the CG is correct, motor has tons of downthrust, elevator is fully centered and in lign with the wing, then there is no way it should be porpoising

And this is just a forum, take it easy Just trying to help
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:07 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksdad View Post
Is any one flying on of these? I have one I built pretty much by the manual except I used even lighter servos but I use a heavier battery 2s 610 7.4 so I probably break even on weight. It's a pretty cool putt putt slow flyer but when you crank it up it will do continuous loops, my only issue is the constant porpoising i suspect is cg related but I have moved stuff around and seem to still have the problem, but she will certainly fly in a small area IE my street and side yard which is pretty much dodging trees all the time but a blast.This is definitely a candidate for aileron conversion.
I flew one of the Great Planes demo versions at the JR Indoor fest and felt the same way. It had a tendency to porpoise also. The impression I had was that it was tail heavy, but it wasn't my plane and I only got a short flight on it so I didn't have a chance to experiment with it any.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:37 AM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Xpress read what you write it's the way you word things, sorry if I came across as rash but now that I read what azarr wrote I think maybe GP has the CG wrong I think I'll add a little more nose weight as I have all the components as far forward as possible and I'm useing a heavier battery than called for so maybe that will help.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksdad View Post
Xpress read what you write it's the way you word things, sorry if I came across as rash but now that I read what azarr wrote I think maybe GP has the CG wrong I think I'll add a little more nose weight as I have all the components as far forward as possible and I'm useing a heavier battery than called for so maybe that will help.
The way I read it makes it sound like an innocent question. But I can see the two ways to read it there...

Also, it could possibly be the design as well. Does the elevator look like the LE is angled downward slightly?
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:44 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I don't know I'll have to look at that.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:27 AM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I flew one of the Great Planes demo versions at the JR Indoor fest and felt the same way. It had a tendency to porpoise also. The impression I had was that it was tail heavy, but it wasn't my plane and I only got a short flight on it so I didn't have a chance to experiment with it any.

Azarr
you don't have the cg right then
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:51 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo View Post
you don't have the cg right then
What was your first clue That's exactly what I said. However, it could also be a decalage problem. If you read what I posted you'll see I made it plain it wasn't my plane and I only had a short flight on it.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:54 AM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
What is it with people, I'm not trying to start a fight but people please read the posts completely before making a reply.I'm thinking its a combination of the factory cg is off a bit and maybe decalage.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:27 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
138 Posts
I have about 10 minutes total time flying indoors inside an 8000 sq ft gym and really like her slow flying characteristics. She is unigue and different when flying near the Vapors, Embers, Sukoi's, and Pizza Box scratchbuilds. I flew her outside once yesterday in little to no wind and found she gets tossed around more than my GWS tigermoth. I found that she has very good "hang time" with power off despite the windmilling drag of the prop. Activating the ESC brake would dramatically improve the glide ratio and penetration. An 8x4 folder with integrated spinner would be nice for looks and performance. For now I'm using a prop saver.

I'm using the lightest Balsa Products outrunner screwed to a laminated balsa block that is epoxied to the firewall. This moves the motor forward for easier access, better cooling, and a further forward CG. See this link for motor specs: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2171399
Battery is a Rhino 2s 360 velcro'd right up aft of the firewall but a heavier 500 mah pack could be used to move CG forward as the tail does look a little low especially flying around slow. Stock prop pulls 8-9 amps WOT but I fly at 1/3 throttle indoors which gives me about the speed of my Ember so I'm switching to either an 8x3 or 7 inch prop to reduce thrust and increase duration. Rudder and elevator throws are the manual's recommended high and low rate (prefered) and weight is between the recommended high and low numbers in the manual. I don't have the wing cover/reinforcement on as I wanted the lightest indoor flyer. CG is towards the aft end of the recommended manual setttings and I plan on replacing the stearable tail wheel with a small lighter .020" OD wire to move the CG further forward for more pitch stability. A heavier 500 2s pack is my next experiment to get CG forward. Servos are Dymond 44's and could be repositioned further forward but I'm too lazy.
I've found she tends to ground loop if too much rudder is used. I tried swapping the gear around in the slot so that the gear sweeps aft rather than the recommended forward position and this reduces but does not eliminate ground looping so I'll bend the gear back another 1/4 inch and try that.
Sorry no pics.
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT