SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
Finish and Power for Dumas 1930 Chris Craft

Hello,

I am new to boats but have experience with RC cars and Micro Airplanes. About 5 months ago I started a kit my Dad gave me about 15 years ago. He had purchased it but never had the chance to build it before he passed away.

The kit is 1930 24' Chris-Craft Runabout Kit #1230. I have searched the forums and tried to research what kind of powertrain to put into this boat. I think that I know that the Dumas motors are old tech, and am looking for something with a little more punch. I have been running brushless motors in my RC cars and am looking to add as much performance to this boat as it will take. I am asking for some advice from some of the more experienced member of this forum.

My second question has to do with the finishing of the mahogany on this boat. I am mostly done with attaching the wood and have been researching the proper finish. I read the thread on fiber-glassing and have ordered the epoxy and the cloth. I have purchased a "red mahogany" stain (Minwax) but the test I did on scraps looked very dark and did not show the grain of the wood well. What stain is proper for this kit? Also I have been researching pictures of real Chris Crafts and it looks like they are usually two tone. Usually dark on the bottom and on the center strip on the bow and a lighter tone on the deck. What would be the color to use on these?

Thirdly what type of paint is used on the bottom. I have some Gel Coat I bought when I built a fiberglass car frame. Would this work for the bottom paint?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Mr. Kitty is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,748 Posts
I, too, have this kit and am giving consideration to starting the build later this winter..will be electric powered. You ask good questions and I'll be checking in and following along. As this is all new to me I'll be interested in the answers you receive.

Any build issues you came across while constructing this kit?

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,814 Posts
I have been using the water base acrilic paints for staining my mahogany speed boats here of late with real good results. As for powering up your boat their are a number of options both brushed and brushless. Here is a picture of my 1930 Dumas Chris Craft running the MACK Products model #2500-2515 twin motor gear box setup.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437635
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,748 Posts
Thanks frankg! Pictures were great and the detail in your post #8 is sure appreciated. Hope you are still enjoying that wonderful model...the green with the plaid accents are REALLY nice.

Joe
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
FrankG your model looks great. I looked at the M.A.C.K. gearbox and motors but I don't understand the benefits of having two motors and the gearbox. Wouldn't this be alot of things that could go bad? Why couldn't I run something like this http:////www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-b...&I=LXXWM5&P=SM . This is the Traxxas Velineon Waterproof Brushless System that I run in my cars? It is pretty fast and I would think that it would be more than enough.

PiperJoe the only thing is that it takes alot of time. I go downstairs in the morning, glue one part, wait, one at night when I get home. But I am using Titebond III glue and have not messed around with the quick setting glues. The instructions are good enough just a few things could have been explained a little better. I am sure the next time I build one I could do it without the instructions.
Mr. Kitty is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kitty
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,814 Posts
Mr Kitty- This model was built quite some time ago, back when brushless motors were just starting to come in. back then, the motors and the reversing speed controls for the brushless motor were very, very expensive. This system is very versatile in that you can change the gear set to swing some very big propellers with unreal power. The set up in the Chris Craft is a 1 to 1 1/2 gear reduction swinging a 1 3/4” dia. 3 blade prop with a 2” pitch at just under 10,000 rpm’s. Never had a bit of trouble with it.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,748 Posts
Thanks Mr. Kitty (I have to chuckle every time I read the name...we have a 16 pound furball that answers...well, when SHE wants too anyway...to the name of Miss Kitty) for the construction thoughts.

We have a fellow in this area that does a fine job of craftmanship on these Dumas boats and RC aircraft...goes by the name of x-craft on this forum. Check out some of his work and don't be afraid to PM him to ask questions..he knows what he's doing.

Joe
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:25 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,643 Posts
You can use any of the 550 size brushed motors with a planetary aircraft gear box. Total cost about $ 30.00 if you check the Sterling USS Missouri Build thread he used 2 that took 400 size motors. you can get the same for a 540-600 size motor. A brush-less motor would be more efficient and faster. you could run direct drive then. I would go with at lest a 40-45 mm out runner. There are several good reversing brush less speed controls now. You could also run Lipos and keep the weight down.
LIGHTER IS FASTER
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:22 PM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
H Mr. Kitty,

I built this boat about 15 years ago and it still looks beautiful. I owned a couple of 1/1 Chris Craft boats (wood) and I used the same materials to finish the model as on the full size boats. Mahogany is very open-grained and you really need to use a filler-stain or you will be varnishing forever to get the grain filled. If you get a pint of Pettit filler stain in "standard mahogany" and some "Captains Varnish" from a boat store or online, that is all you need. I used those materials when I did my boat and it has held up beautifully. The biggest problem with the full-size boats is the damage caused by the sun...not an issue for models unless you leave them outside for a few months. I really prefer the traditional varnish on these boats to polyurethane. It's not quite as tough but is much easier to repair if it does get dinged. As far as the bottom, any quality enamel will do. Rustoleum and Dupont (Krylon) both make suitable finishes.

Rick
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon