HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Yeah, but on a model that is so lite I'm wondering if it will induce unwanted control inputs. P-factor in airplanes is caused by the same phenomenon after all.
Hurry up and fly the thing. We will have an answer after that.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Exhausts completed!!

Will make the skids tomorrow and hopefully do some flights with the test fuselage.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Does anyone recognize what gyros and ESC's these are?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Hey RCVertt, maybe this site helps, it has some quite detailed pictures of the same model

http://www.oldcake.net/redirect.php?...&goto=lastpost

It also shows his preliminary test model.

There is another video of the same model on Youtube which shows his controll movements.
Ultraman Matjyro VTOL RC model ラジコン マットジャイロ (1 min 19 sec)

BTW, the gyro's look like some kind off GY401 remakes..i guess.

Marijn
hoverman is offline Find More Posts by hoverman
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Done with the fuselage.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
Hey RCVertt, maybe this site helps, it has some quite detailed pictures of the same model...
Cool. Thanks for the info! I agree with the 401 clone idea. It looks a little jittery when it lands and at some places in flight like v22chap showed in his gyro tests.

@Teckos- Nice job. Looks like it's ready for flight testing.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:50 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,354 Posts
Teckos your fuselage is fantastic !

If someonme is iterested there is a nice card model (could easily built in foam too) of the skorpion from Avatar that can be downloaded here: http://myhobbycraft.blogspot.com/
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:14 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Does anyone recognize what gyros and ESC's these are?
No idea about the ESCs but the front gyro seems to be a GY401 as it only has one input wire and one output one, due to its placement it must control roll axis. The lateral one has a red label and two output wires. It looks like a GY352 (discontinued FUTABA two axis gyro in a single box made in two versions: for heli control and for fixed wing control) it should control the other two axis. GY352 is basically aTWO GY401 in a single box plus the possibility of inner V mixer between both channels, remote gain, AVCS...
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
You guy's read my mind. Probably the coolest vehicle in the movie.The counter rotating blades took me by surprise as someone knew what they were doing when they created the concept for the movie.

I think I may design one after the actual drive they used.Should not be to difficult using bevel gears.
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Great work Tecos! When do you expect to do the maiden? Please get some video of your project for us.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
If you get that running, you'll have to make a version of the hornet from halo 3.
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:49 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Has anyone run any calculations for a larger scale version?

I did some (really) rough numbers for a 1/8 scale, and came up with a 2 meter model, which would put the 'rotor' span at ~ 600mm. This is about the same as a TRex 450, which runs 315-335mm blades. A while back, I built a scale TRex 450 that weighed a bit under 1.5kg, and it was marginal. A 2m model is going to weigh something like 7-9kg, and I don't think scale sized rotors of this design would have a prayer of getting it off the ground. Even with doubled rotors (contra-rotating) on each side (which would be a mechanical nightmare), I don't think it would be efficient enough to have any reasonable flight performance...

Any thoughts?
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:55 AM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
You could try more blades...
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:19 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
That only works to a certain point... lift generated is not going to increase in direct proportion to the number of blades. If we bump the rpm up that may work, but at this size, it would take the equivalent of a 50cc gas engine to turn them 6000-7000rpm (each side).

A good design example is the V-22 Osprey... look at the size of the props necessary (in relation to the size of the a/c) to generate sufficient lift. The SA-2 as depicted in the movie has nowhere near the prop area in proportion to the size of the a/c.
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan