HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
could the flybars still be attached to the rotors? if so, then you possibly won't need the gyros. Maybe exept just one for roll?
I planned on doing that at the beginning but then decided it wouldn't look scale... I hope I wasn't wrong lol
Not sure I can still attach them since the shafts are really short (the blades could hit the aluminium arms)
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:19 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
I planned on doing that at the beginning but then decided it wouldn't look scale... I hope I wasn't wrong lol
Not sure I can still attach them since the shafts are really short (the blades could hit the aluminium arms)
yup it would detract from the looks though

Looks awesome, alot better than mine
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:36 AM
Joined Jan 2010
15 Posts
hi Teckos,

good design for the fuselage, you did not think of introducing the fma copilot into your dual-rotor? if yes a small diagram of installation is wished, thank you
fethi is offline Find More Posts by fethi
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Teckos, you are going to make your templates available as a PDF, right?

That looks totally awesome!

I've got a lot of Depron and a Tracy Chacon action figure standing by...

Also, from what I read about the SA-2 online: http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.c...le_SA-2_Samson

I believe the idea behind the co-ax rotors in the ducts was to give more lift while keeping rotor diameters down. I suppose you could always increase the pitch of the lower rotors to improve effectiveness...

Just thinking out loud

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:29 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty View Post
I believe the idea behind the co-ax rotors in the ducts was to give more lift while keeping rotor diameters down. I suppose you could always increase the pitch of the lower rotors to improve effectiveness...

Just thinking out loud

Kitty
I agree with you 100% Kitty. In addition to a reduced rotor footprint, the coaxial setup would cancel motor torque on each side thus removing another unwanted input when torque varies between left and right sides. I believe an increase or decrease in torque(with single rotors) would otherwise require a more complex mixing system similar to a CH-47.

Didn't the SA-2 have a variable dihedral in the film? It does on the Video game.

I'm Loving this project keep up the great work!
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Very quick update: these are temporarily glued just for the pics
Need to work on the air intakes, exhausts and skids when I have time.
I should have time to tweak the mixes and test fly it this week end

Sorry LedKitty but I have no plan except a couple of miscut sheets of depron that can give an idea of the shapes. Anyway, most of the parts have been trimmed a lot so nothing will be accurate I'll shoot the only drawing I made tho.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Fethi, the idea behind that build was to create the Samson with materials I already have. Plus the FMA Copilot thingy sounds rather heavy... and expensive
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I'm going to throw something out here cause I think this is a cool project. No, I don't really have any qualifications...

I believe the coaxial rotors are required to eliminate gyroscopic procession effects when tilting the ducts. I could be wrong, haven't thought about it to much yet.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:02 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Which would certainly decrease the torque forces on the swivel mount wouldn't it? I believe that was an issue with the V-22, the torque involved in rotating those massive rotors... wasn't it?

K.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:51 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Ya but this is RC. The amount of torque on the mounts are not (or at least shouldn't be) anything to worry about. There isn't the same weight behind the torque as there is on the V22. It is like mounting a big 20 cylinder engine into a massive boat. That is way harder and has more forces than a scale boat of a smaller size.

BIM
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:37 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Teckos,
Looks incredible! When are you expecting to do the maiden flight? Keep up the posts, very impressive.
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:32 PM
1.21 gigawatts
Fort.lauderdale Florida
Joined Jul 2006
724 Posts
Looking awesome Teckos
may bee put smaller flybars so they don't stick out so much
they would add so much stability to your model
just like those little foam hellis
Eddie
EDDIEGIGOWATTS is offline Find More Posts by EDDIEGIGOWATTS
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Ya but this is RC. The amount of torque on the mounts are not (or at least shouldn't be) anything to worry about. There isn't the same weight behind the torque as there is on the V22. It is like mounting a big 20 cylinder engine into a massive boat. That is way harder and has more forces than a scale boat of a smaller size.

BIM
Yeah, but on a model that is so lite I'm wondering if it will induce unwanted control inputs. P-factor in airplanes is caused by the same phenomenon after all.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped View Post

Didn't the SA-2 have a variable dihedral in the film? It does on the Video game.

I'm Loving this project keep up the great work!
Regards,
-Mike
Mike, if James Cameron did his homework (and it sure looks like he did!) I believe the fans do indeed tilt as well as swivel.

If you watch the YouTube clip of the GressAero eVader that ran of the Discovery Channel, you'll see the the fans on their model do the same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLkKjuA5K4

Alas the sound is horrible on that clip, but them moving picture thingies show what I'm talking about It's all about increasing stability of course.

K.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Just to prove there's 'nothing new under the sun' - the Nord 500

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing the first flying SA2,

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread