HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:18 PM
What goes up, must be repaired
Mid-Michigan
Joined May 2009
41 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone started designing a SA-2 Samson from the movie Avatar?

I was curious if anyone has started working on designing a model of the Aerospatiale SA-2 Samson VTOL as seen in the new movie Avatar?
Do you think it would be easy to do? The rotating rotor clusters would need to be controlled by the Elevon mixing function in a computer radio. Any ideas on motors, rotors, etc? Anyone?

topgun21 is offline Find More Posts by topgun21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
here are cool ones I have found on youtube.
VTOL RC model Ultraman Matjyro ラジコン マットジャイロ (2 min 14 sec)
gema is offline Find More Posts by gema
Old Jan 05, 2010, 04:24 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Gema,
I saw that video recently as well. I was unable to find any more info on it though. I had the same thought after watching Avatar, what a neat project that would be huh?
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:15 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
I too have been thinking of doing this. I haven't started any real design work but I've been thinking about the control aspects. So far I think I would go for two sets of mixed controls, pitch and yaw controlled by servo's linked to the rotating ducted rotors and two seperate escs mixed to control collective and roll. The wiki entry states that roll is achieved by increasing power to one rotor. Sounds logical. No need for a gyro as far as I can see. The aircraft in that vid, though a bi wobbly, is very well done. I think that the instability lies in the fact that the ducts are horizontal (like this -_-,) if you look at the SA-2 and the Scorpion you can see that the duts tilt out a little (like this \-/.) That would help stablise the aircraft and at least prevent it wobbling from side to side so much. Wobbling on the pitch axis might be a problem, but that could be solved by moving the CG slightly forward and then compensating with trim. This would also mean that the fus would always be pitched down slightly in a scale way. I think you wouldn't neccesarily need a computer radio, I have two GWS V-tail mixer units that I will try to use.

I really, really want to give this a go and I think we should keep this thread going !!!
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
Old Jan 07, 2010, 04:04 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLJayne View Post
I too have been thinking of doing this. I haven't started any real design work but I've been thinking about the control aspects. So far I think I would go for two sets of mixed controls, pitch and yaw controlled by servo's linked to the rotating ducted rotors and two seperate escs mixed to control collective and roll. The wiki entry states that roll is achieved by increasing power to one rotor. Sounds logical. No need for a gyro as far as I can see. The aircraft in that vid, though a bi wobbly, is very well done. I think that the instability lies in the fact that the ducts are horizontal (like this -_-,) if you look at the SA-2 and the Scorpion you can see that the duts tilt out a little (like this \-/.) That would help stablise the aircraft and at least prevent it wobbling from side to side so much. Wobbling on the pitch axis might be a problem, but that could be solved by moving the CG slightly forward and then compensating with trim. This would also mean that the fus would always be pitched down slightly in a scale way. I think you wouldn't neccesarily need a computer radio, I have two GWS V-tail mixer units that I will try to use.

I really, really want to give this a go and I think we should keep this thread going !!!

your going to need gyros, ESPECIALLY on the roll Axis built (buliding) VTOL, which has almost the same lay out. Testing/flying proved impossible without gyros. You should have a gyro on roll and the pitch axis, yaw and throttle you probibly can handle without gyros.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:54 AM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
www.bananahobby.com
This would be a nice platform to start from:
New World's First RTF Transverse Array 4 CH Art-Tech 2.4GHz K-22 Transverse Array Dual Rotor Radio Remote Control Electric RC Helicopter RTF w/ Patent
On Sale: $69.90
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:07 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLJayne View Post

I wish you success. Subscribed.

Similar thread over at Multirotor Helis.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post14006458
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:31 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,668 Posts
I'm totally subscribed too ^_^

I was pondering this all day before I hit rcgroups to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing!

I'm really surprised we aren't seeing these full-size yet! It seems to me that the mechanics and physics of them are far simpler than conventional helis. No cyclic blade control to worry about, although I'd use collective on each fan unit on the full-size... So... very... cool... And yes, I'd have the CG father forward than on that Ultraman thing

Cheers!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:43 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight View Post
www.bananahobby.com
This would be a nice platform to start from:
New World's First RTF Transverse Array 4 CH Art-Tech 2.4GHz K-22 Transverse Array Dual Rotor Radio Remote Control Electric RC Helicopter RTF w/ Patent
On Sale: $69.90
Thanks for that post. I checked that little aircraft out, and it's pretty cool! I agree it would be a great platform to start with as well. I would take the radio gear and electronic equipment from it to use with a larger platform, and higher power motors. I have just ordered on for the fun of it, how can you go wrong at that price?

Regards,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:18 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty View Post
I'm totally subscribed too ^_^

I was pondering this all day before I hit rcgroups to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing!

I'm really surprised we aren't seeing these full-size yet! It seems to me that the mechanics and physics of them are far simpler than conventional helis. No cyclic blade control to worry about, although I'd use collective on each fan unit on the full-size... So... very... cool... And yes, I'd have the CG father forward than on that Ultraman thing

Cheers!

Kitty
The reason we don't see things like this is because the first capable aircraft like this only recently became reliable. It is the V22.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:42 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,793 Posts
5 hours later, I came up with this. I just saw the movie yesterday (it was awesome) and you guys tempted me with the challenge to make one of these. Got a gyro on roll and pitch, testing is going fairly well, I can let go of it for a few seconds before the roll axis becomes tooo unstable.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
5 hours later, I came up with this. I just saw the movie yesterday (it was awesome) and you guys tempted me with the challenge to make one of these. Got a gyro on roll and pitch, testing is going fairly well, I can let go of it for a few seconds before the roll axis becomes tooo unstable.
Looking good. Playing with the gyro gain doesn't calm down the roll problem?

I've never played with foam before. Where do you get yours from?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
That looks great man! 5 hours huh? takes me that long to clean my workbench off enough to start a project. I'd love to see more info on your project, pics/video whatever. You've inspired me.
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:05 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Thats very cool F&T, can you give us a vid of it flying ?
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:29 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,793 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to get some vid and do some testing at my local indoor today. Might just be a vid of crashes.