Fly-In
E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 20-21, 2010 - Cedar Falls, IA

E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Cedar Falls, IA
Indoor Electric Fly-In
February 20 & 21, 2010
Adult Flyers – $25 per day or $40 for both days
AMA Youth Flyers – $10 per day
Spectators – $5 / children 12 and under are free
Flying from 9AM until 6PM (Saturday) / 5PM (Sunday)

On the web at: http://www.expodome.org

AMA sanctioned event. All pilots must have a current AMA membership card. AMA Park Pilot and Youth members are welcome to fly at this event.

There's no other event like this one, so don't miss it! All types of Indoor R/C Electric & Free Flight Aircraft can fly here. Preregister and skip the line at check-in.

Others claim to be the largest indoor electric fly-in, but there's no doubt about the fact that this event has the largest Indoor Flying area. The ceiling is 162 feet high! The flying area is HUGE with almost 2 acres of floor space (78,000 sq ft). That's more space than 16 basketball courts.

New event this year - Blue Ray Pylon Racing! Contact Stan Sweet (sweet@cfu.net) for plans or precut kits.

"This event is about flying, not watching other people fly!" That's what one of our flyers said after he had attended another major indoor event and spent most of his time watching other people fly. In two days he only got in seven flights. At "e/xpo in the UNI Dome", he said he got so much flying time that his fingers were tired. That's the way we do indoor flying in Iowa! If you want to fly everything you've got and fly till you drop, this is the event for you. Most of the time will be open flying, but there will also be fun fly events. Bring lots of charged up Li-Po's, because you will need them. There's no line waiting to fly.

The UNI Dome has a hard roof with no fans or blowers inside, so it's perfect for everything from micro and slow park flyers to 3D and helicopters. Not only is the football field available for R/C flying, there's additional airspace over the seats on the East side of the stadium. (There's virtually no wall to hit on the far side of the field!) One end of the field is for 3D aircraft & helicopters, the middle is for "racetrack" or circular pattern flying and the other end is for micro flyers and free flight. All fixed wing aircraft must have a flying weight of less than 25 ounces. Helicopters must have 450 mm or smaller main rotor blades.

Sponsored by the Black Hawk R/C Pilots, AMA Club #792
rnleeper is offline Find More Posts by rnleeper
Last edited by rnleeper; Jan 03, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
In addition to the E/xpo in the UNI Dome flying time there is dedicated free flight time Saturday night (6pm to 8pm) and Sunday morning (7am to 9am) to allow the rubber guys to get a "full wind" on their motors and have the entire Dome for flying. We have received an AMA sanction for a variety of indoor free flight categories and will support AMA record attempts during 'full Wind'. Check the current issue of Model Aviation for a list of the sanctioned categories.

I am interested in what categories you will be attempting, please let me know. I would also like to know if any RC pilots are interested in volunteering to be timers during the full wind time (no RC during full wind).

Stan Sweet
Contest Director
Black Hawk RC Pilots
E/xpo in the Dome and Full Wind in the Dome
justplanesweet is offline Find More Posts by justplanesweet
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:16 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
this is a great place to fly i have been there, and there is alot of room its huge. wont be able to go this year though as i have moved from wisconsin and its a bit far for where i live now..wish all o good time though/..
bobo46 is offline Find More Posts by bobo46
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:27 AM
Never say DIE...
Urbana IL
Joined Feb 2006
239 Posts
how many pilots were there last year.. sounds like fun

Grimracer
Grimracer is offline Find More Posts by Grimracer
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:33 PM
United States, IA, Lone Tree
Joined Aug 2009
19 Posts
I am planning on being there. missed it last year. I will bring my heli's
catch96 is offline Find More Posts by catch96
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Grimracer,

Over the course of the two days we had 87 registered pilots. I did not see anyone waiting to fly as we had around eighteen pilot stations.

Be sure to bring several types of aircraft if you attend. There is 3D, helicopter, circuit and free-flight available. We try to do streamer combat and full-on combat during our public air show. The Blue Ray pylon racers are very easy to build, check out the Blue Ray Instructions.

Stan
Old Jan 06, 2010, 07:10 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Yep, I have my hotel reservations and entry fee paid and looking forward to it this year. I was set to go last year and got the flu a day before the trip I am building the Pylon kits and will attempt my first time flying in this mode It will be interesting for everyone I am sure!

Steve
Lakeville MN
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:11 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Looking forward to another chance to fly in the dome! Great place to fly, great people, great atmosphere.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:47 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Is there a current build thread for the BlueRay? I am nearly done but if there are some hints, etc, it would be nice to hear them.

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Steve,

I don't think there is a current build thread. Neal did a real good job of documenting the build in the instructions posted at www.expodome.org.

It might be too far to drive but I am going to have a Blue Ray build session on Friday January 30th from 9am-12am in Room 157 of the First United Methodist Church, 723 Washington Street, Cedar Falls, IA.

Could be an opportunity to compare notes with other builders.

Stan
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
If I had the day off, I'd travel the 3 to 4 hour trip, build one and most likely stay the night and head back on Saturday But, I am tied to employment yet and it won't be possible. If anyone could take some pics with methods different then the present instructions, that would be cool. As is though, I am nearly done with the first one, mistakes and all

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
Complete assembly instructions for the Blue Ray are on the E/xpo web site at: http://www.expodome.org/race_rules_f...structions.pdf

The Black Hawk R/C Pilots are also planning an outdoor Blue Ray Pylon Race event on June 19th at our club flying field near Cedar Falls, IA. We'll have more info on our web site http://www.bhrcp.org as we get closer to the event.
rnleeper is offline Find More Posts by rnleeper
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:29 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I finished the first one up last night and I think it should fly I hope to have number two done before I head down. I can always finish it on Friday night when I arrive in Cedar Falls.

Steve
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:22 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
In your build session note for today you mention Shelby-Kote Cellophane tape. What is it used for and where can it be purchased? I tried a google search and the only thing it comes up with is from U-Line with a 3M product.

Have fun today and post some pics

Steve
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
go to this event the place is huge!!!
bobo46 is offline Find More Posts by bobo46