HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:54 PM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
was going to, but we just got dumped on. prolly 1/2 inch in an hr. so its WET WET WET. and we ALL know how well Castle loves the wet. lol NOT.

SO i took to doing some repairs and another mod to mine.
had to fix on of the crash bar holders so it was stay put, broke the bolt last week. check over the other holders and all is ok.

had to redo the rear shock. lost the bottom retaining clip, so the shock was blown out with no oil, only spring action. lol BUT, last week while i was at Silver Lake with the HPI Bajas, i ran it around the camp site. Went quite good. had alot of the fellow campers as well as most of us baja fruits watching it. was pretty bouncy due to the oil less rear shock. but over all was fun, and seemed to get some interest, not only from the Baja guys, but other SL afficienados as well.

Too Bad i didnt/dont have a sand paddle and front sand wheel for it. i think it would of went over quite well out in the dunes, If only for a paddle. Trying to find one of the old 1/8th scale PL paddles is about as easy as capping a leaking well, that only a mile deep. pretty much impossible.

that was it for repairs, Oh expect i had to put another bolt in to holde the front fender on. lost one at some point.

as far as the mod, i just took the dremmel, and killed off the rest of the knobbys on the stock rear tire as it was about hit. the parking lot running at the hotel in the last couple weeks has taken its toll. heh.
after i got the tire down to a slick. i test fit up the 1/8th PL Badlands tire over the stocker. checked it out for afew mins, determined what i had to do to make it fit, and commenced to getting it done.

heres a pic of it with the new rear re tread. I wasnt safe or keen on being clean with the glue, my purpose was to adhear the new Badlands to the stock tire, to ensure no slipping or ballooning ect...

Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh
Last edited by Timmahh; Jun 27, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:01 PM
cape town
Joined Apr 2006
225 Posts
We had a drag event today and I thought I would try it with the GPV-1 and my little racing mini. Unfortunately the bike did not make it to the top 10, but the mini did. I had allot of traction problems. There was allot of dust so neither the mini or the bike would grip. I did beat a 1/8 truggy with the mini though.

Coming back from a run.

My mini.

Feeling a little lost.

Ahh there it is!
KermitGTT is offline Find More Posts by KermitGTT
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:58 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
got the sb5 out again last night and laid abit of a track down with the track markers,
i had a few glitch issues last time and ive tracked it down to a wire that had worn through on one of the motor wires, a temporary fix with some tape and it was good to go!

i still cant believe how brilliant this bike is!

im putting my old fm-1e's on ebay soon cus i just cant see me ever using them again!
this thing is tough aswell, had a few big crashes and it didnt even crack the bodywork!..oh yeah and tyres are still stuck on

was there till way after dark so i took the fake exhaust out the back so the esc acted like a back light

one thing i love about the sb5 is that its the same handling lap after lap- even after big crashes, no headshaking under power or twisted forks etc,
it really is superb!

had the back end sliding out on the last corner on pretty much every lap if i got the apex right and could just pull it tighter for the next bit, its so smooth that it makes it easy!

i really need a front brake though which hopefully will be back in stock soon so i can get one of those and i reckon it needs abit more ride hight so will prob get the longer forks

ill get some vido next time i go, which will probably be tonight but dont tell the mrs!
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:49 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
I have not used the bike since last Saturday, at Grenoble, but I may be excused for this, right?!!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
I took my bike out for a spin after i got out of work this morning.I had a blast especially after i solved the problem i had with the brakes. Now the bike will get a little wobble under heavy braking.I think this is caused from the motor not dropping back down on the rpm's fast enough.I think i have an air leak in the carb or something. When i give it full throttle and let off the bike still runs at wot for a few seconds.I thought maybe it was a glitch but it wasn't,just need to tune or fix the air leak in the carb.

I really enjoyed running that bike and hopefully i'll get some video of it running this weekend.Gotta hire a camera man or woman.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Hi Edwin,

Might be a bit rich on the LSN causing the throttle to run on.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Waterfall View Post
Hi Edwin,

Might be a bit rich on the LSN causing the throttle to run on.

Allan
Hey Boss..
I think i'm gonna just swap out the carb anyway.I've got a novarossi carb plus a carb that i modded from a .21 size motor that i want to try.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:26 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
was a beautiful sunny day today so got the sb5 out again

well it handled like crap cus i took the shocks out and rebuilt them yesterday and i obviously did something wrong! lol

it was quite unstable going round corners and kept bouncing around and tying itself in knots!

gonna have a look at it in abit and try and find out what i did wrong

managed to do quite a few laps and some wheelie practice though

didnt see the point in doing any video cus of it not handling properly but got some pics instead
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:41 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Nice pics Mark,i really like those wheelie pics....
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks edwin!

was good fun, its quite easy to wheelie it cus the power comes in nice and smooth, i got a couple abit wrong though as you can see from the pics
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
man that thing looks fast...but what happened to that bike you were building...hmmm?
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:25 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
ive still got the nitro bike i built, havent used it for a while though,
im making a underseat exhaust for it thats got 2 exits in the undertray to stop it getting damaged,
im concentrating on my nitro anderson at the moment though then ill probably get back to it and finish it off

still havent got round to running my oto bike or my venom yet either! lol
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:52 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Nice pics guess you got the slipper wound right up tight
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:47 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
cheers steve,
yeah i wound it up for the wheelie pics and then backed it off again for the track
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEEBOY View Post
well it handled like crap cus i took the shocks out and rebuilt them yesterday and i obviously did something wrong! lol

it was quite unstable going round corners and kept bouncing around and tying itself in knots!

gonna have a look at it in abit and try and find out what i did wrong
well it looks like i found the problem!
i had the bottom yoke upside down.. theyve got abit of a upstand on the one side so u dont have to try and get the washers inbetween (good idea torrance!)
so i had movement there which would explain the tank slappers

also i took the shocks off again and found that when you do the bottom bit up tight (the bit that locks up over the lower o-ring) it drags pretty bad on the shaft so ive put a drop of locktite on it and didnt lock it down as much and it seems quite smooth now,

hopefully test it out again tomorrow to see if ive cured it