HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
Yes got both of our gpv bikes out and they ran well. We even managed to have a colision.
Wish I had that on video.
Looking at one of those micro camera's to mount on the tanks of our bikes.
This is going to be a great r/c season!!!
derbi75 is offline Find More Posts by derbi75
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:07 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
Oh, yes -- racing superbikes at RCX with 2000redrider, dlaww, stubbyphilips, and akura2. Then playing around with supermoto VMXs with dlaww, akura2, and Chris Nicastro. Great day...
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Last edited by Guidoracer; Mar 20, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Here is part of that day.

SoCalRcBikers@2011 RCX, DLAWW,Guidoracer,2000-redrider,Akura2&Stubbyphilips. (8 min 28 sec)
DLAWW is online now Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:19 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
Our RCGT racing started again, so I took my new SB-5 with me...
I ran three batteries during the TC races and everyone was A-MA-ZED!
Period!
I have the bike setup with 1000cps oil front, 3000cps oil rear, 350cps in the little steering shocks, PMT200 tires on kit wheels, kit black inserts, 40mm/48mm F/R ride height, 6.5T motor, 87/21 gearing, no belt tensioner (yet! I searched through the parts my local Xray dealer had in his van and sourced one so I will add that too! the belt was skipping at abrupt full throttle).
Other than that, with kit setup for the shocks' positions and the front rake, the bike was very good to do the track quickly and easily. It tracked straight as an arrow, never wheelied on its own (!) never tankslapped, but... it was "understeering" in high speed corners... In slower corners, like a tight chicane, it would slap from crashbar to crashbar momentarily, but without "fear" of losing it, in any case.
I was also amazed, since it was my first run at my local track!
I MAY have a couple of videos as well, taken by friends, who were watching!
I also tried a very big 27T pinion for a few laps, but I lost my brakes, really, while not gaining anything in speed or acceleration...
Now that the weather is getting warmer, I will test a bit more!
I can tell, that this is really is feeling addictively fast! I was used to the speeds of the 13.5t and then the 17.5T, in my KP09, and this one takes speeds to another level! Amazing, to say the least!
Random thoughts... I run an ACE DS1015 servo, and have moved the crashbars to the rear slot.
Since I was also driving my Xray at the 13.5T class, a riding (real biker) friend suggested that my lines when running the bike were exactly the ones of a TC, which were actually wrong, costing m precious time in the tighter turns... Well... you can't adjust from one vehicle to the next, in a second... takes some time, I guess!!!
Oh... and everyone asked for wheelies, but I had set the slipper to JUST avoid wheelies! So... sorry folks, not today!!!!
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
435 Posts
Hi Stelios,

Any chance you can send a piccy of your local track?

A friend of mine is running an SB5 also, how have you got your brakes set up?

I actually run a KP09e with a 9t motor in it. I normally run 7.4v batteries but I have a 11.1v battery that came with the bike that I run for a bit of fun.

I have to be on the ball when I use that one though as things can get nasty real quick!

Cheers

Scott
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:58 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
Good day Scott!
Here's the link to my local track: http://www.frt.gr/index.php?option=c...d=10&Itemid=16

I know it's in Greek, but still you can see the pics, clicking on them....

And here's the sat. image:

http://www.frt.gr/index.php?option=c...d=10&Itemid=16

Edit: brakes setup: ESC is at ATL 45%, front brake is with Edi Winter's "mods" and 2.5mm glassfiber brake, set the 3rd channel at atv 100% and the mixing offset at 46% if that makes any sense. I have limited the servo to move half its movement, only when I brake the CH2, and then I have it limited a bit. These are on my (vintage) Futaba stick FF3 (T3UCP), running 2.4Ghz Corona module.
Last edited by steliosh; Mar 28, 2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: brakes...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:04 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
I have a couple of videos of the bike at the FRT track, at my youtube space:

KP09 rc bike at FRT track! (0 min 32 sec)

and:

KP09e rc bike at FRT track (1 min 0 sec)

If you check it, I also have some HPI Baja and other touring cars racing there...
Last edited by steliosh; Mar 28, 2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:04 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,108 Posts
Looking at that Track you can drive it in a very similar configuration like Lostallo.
And it has nearly the same length. I think I have to go visit you once....
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
That's what I actually did today... Loaded my BMW sidecases with everything I thought I'd need (I forgot that Tamiya-style cross wrench and my scissors!) along with two bikes, the KP10 in 1900gram. 17.5T config, and the SB-5 as above.
I started running the KP and... forgot about the SB-5! Ran 8 batteries through the KP, doing one minor change each time, until I managed to have a bike that behaved almost exactly the way I wanted it. And in the process -no lap counting handy- it seemed to me I could do quicker laps. I only use my Tx's 10-minute timer, which beeps every minute, so I knew I was in a good mood if I could do two complete laps between 2 beeps!
I also "designed" a route that uses practically the whole track, also at the same direction like the one in Edi's video, used at Lostallo...
Tomorrow will be a fun day at that track, with the above bikes in hand, plus: Venom GPV1, HOR, Anderson and Ricky! It's going to be a feature for a Greek RC site. Hopefully we can shoot some video too...
I used ONLY a PMT100 rear tire on the KP and traction was great, considering there was still no pine tree pollen and the temp was I think around 22-23C!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:47 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
Ran a few bikes today, in order to help make an "RC Bikes" feature for a Greek rc-news site. Link to follow, in a few days, when article will be ready!
So, I took ALL my bikes with me, even though the runners are a few.
We started from the... slowest:

The Honda NSR Kyosho HOR. With a Tamtech motor running on 2S lipo it was quite zippy but was definitely let down by its 15-year old tires, even though they were the "soft" ones by Kyosho.

Next was the GPV1, with kit front and Med rear. Now with an Ezrun 5200kv motor it spins a lot, making it almost undrivable at certain parts of the track.

The FM1e with a 17.5T motor, short gearing and non-turbo ESC was the most drivable of the bikes today, at least for my newbie friend, who was doing the photoshooting and keeping notes. He tried to drive all the bikes... This one suited him most: It was slow enough and VERY forgiving, not to mention it had pistol radio, while the other two "good" bikes, the KP10 and SB-5 were handled with my stick Futaba.

The KP10 was at its best form, also with 17.5T motor, 1900 gram. and well-setup suspension, thanks to advice from my good friends at Moto-5!

The SB-5, with its 6.5T motor had the most impressive straight line speed, of course, as well as in my hands was also the most forgiving, under pressure at high speeds. The more I drive this bike the more I appreciate it!

Then we moved to the nearby dirt track and tried the Ricky first. Mind you, this one is completely stock in everything: even the radio! OK, it has a Revo shock in the rear, but that's it. It ran decently with an oval shaped 3200/20C lipo and after a while we let it rest and started ripping the triples with the Anderson!

Now, that was "demonic" as my friend said and actually this was the bike he liked most! It cleared the triples easily, ran almost the entire track and was so much fun! Then we moved back to the asphalt track and continued ripping around, asphalt, grass, sideways on the kerbs, you name it!

Oh we also ran the TT Kart, but with the kit tires it was spinning around itself a lot! But it was quick and fun!

In all... Great fun!!!

I will post link of the site as soon as the articles are getting ready and published. I may have some video footage, soon!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
KID905
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Looks like a fun day !
kid905 is offline Find More Posts by kid905
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:01 AM
Nancy, in France
Joined Sep 2008
249 Posts
Very nice, Steliosh. I'm always happy to read your posts
I want to run the same day with all my bikes too. For the moment I have 3 SB5 for races, 2 KP07 include one modified with a Nikko HOR pilot:

1 NF501 (I can change nitro or elec), one 1/6 Harley Kyosho:

one 1/4 direct drive supermotard:

one 1/5 roadster (I now have started the rear spoken wheel, not ended):

and some little bikes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Lalain54...70218990818482

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lalain54...70225246804722
but little bikes are not fun on a big track
I just drive 2 SB5 (STB and SBK) to prepare the first race of the new Challenge in France next week, and I'm very happy with the reliability: Thanks to Torrance and to Thunder Tiger
lalain is offline Find More Posts by lalain
Last edited by lalain; Mar 30, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:10 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
Further to my fun day, two days ago, I managed to make two small videos!
Enjoy my newbie rc-news site writer friend driving both the TT FM1e and the KT8 kart!

TT FM1e and KT8 Kart! (2 min 45 sec)

Anderson M5 Cross on road and off road coming right after this!

Anderson M5 Cross at FRT Track! (5 min 18 sec)

Enjoy!
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:09 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,839 Posts
steliosh mate you using my alloy spcers in that nice vid !
steve bisco is online now Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:13 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,311 Posts
yes, of course! And thanks, again!
Thanks!