HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:19 AM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Discussion
Sig Wonder from FOAM

Just thought I'd jump in with a new thread on the tried and true Sig Wonder.
I built and flew a Wonder some years ago with a .15 gas and it was a real hot rod! More recently I built another Wonder from their kit ( see the attached picture of the yellow-starred plane) and powered it with a Grayson Hobby 2212-06 brushless with a 6 X 4 prop but with an AUW of 27 ounces, it was way too heavy but still flew OK, sort of.
Enter the new project as shown in the pic.... Constructed using the same overall dimensions but from 9MM EPP with a little FFF thrown in for for the fins and part of the fuselage. Went together fast and weighs 290 grams with motor,battery rec, etc. Power will be supplied from a Hobby City 2822 (45g) with an 8060 prop which delivers static thrust of 490 g. I've had great experiences with this motor on conventional FFF planes which weigh in excess of 10 ounces.
This is my first experience using EPP which seems a little "floppy" but a couple of carbon rods fixed that. I really like the fact that you can use almost any kind of glue (except that carpenter stuff), paint, etc to build with. An added bonus is that the EPP is verrrrrry crash resistant and in my case, thats verrry important.

The plane has not flew yet....blizzard in Oklahoma, but it should be ready after a quick paint job and completion of the installation of the flight gear. Will post again as soon as it is completed before flight.....I must photograph BEFORE flight, otherwise,,,,,,,,,
Delta Hot Rod is offline Find More Posts by Delta Hot Rod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:47 PM
Nuke em and lets fly...
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
Nice build, I loved mine too - I almost forgot how much fun I had with mine. I will put this on my (to build) list
BladeMan is offline Find More Posts by BladeMan
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:38 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,944 Posts
Nice Delta,

Can you post the dimensions for those of us without a kit?

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:53 AM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
I am currently in the hospital logging in from my bed but will post the dimensions as soon as I am able to get back into the shop. Praie the Lord for netbook computers.

happppppy flyi8ng
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Hot Rod View Post
I am currently in the hospital logging in from my bed but will post the dimensions as soon as I am able to get back into the shop. Praie the Lord for netbook computers.

happppppy flyi8ng
Thanks,

Hope you're doing OK.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Finally got my hospital time done and can get back to the business at hand....
Here is a sketch I did quickly in Autocad for the foamy wonder. Didn't do any tiling but just give the overall dims....If'n ya'll got questions, just jump right in. I still have not flown mine yet however I expect it'll be a hot rod at about 10 ounces with the 2822 Hobby King motor.. Ya'll enjoy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Great job on the plan. Thanks a bunch. I've always wanted to build the Wonder out of foam. Now thanks to you, it will happen. Thanks again.
swav is offline Find More Posts by swav
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Blue Funder

It's tried and true in combat. Quite a little following as you can see and it's been modded ad nauseum.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:45 AM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Foamy Wonder MAIDEN flight

Completed the Wonder today and with the help of fellow RC’er Joe Gross, the Wonder took to the air. Flight was almost flawless even given my limited flight skills. All controls set for neutral, the throttle at about 3/4 and a gentle hand-launch into the breeze and the Wonder flew straight and true. The Wonder is gentle and a pure joy to fly HOWEVER, I discovered the 9mm EPP flexes at high speed so as to neutralize the controls. A high-speed turn stays a high speed turn until the throttle is reduced. At half to ¾ throttle this plane is WONDER-ful to fly. At slow speeds, it is extremely responsive and stable with no bad tendencies.

Set-up for maiden flight as follows:
Basic construction: 9MM EPP with FFF vert fins
Weight: 12.5 ounces RTF with 750mah Rhino 3s lipo
Hobby King 28-22 / 1200KV motor…with 8040 prop
(takes the Wonder straight up)
9G Turnigy elevator servo
2 Each 5G aileron servos
BP 10 amp esc
Spektrum 6100 receiver

What a joy this bird is. Though I originally had in mind a fast combat bird, this version turns out to be a Wonder-ful slow flyer even suited for indoor flying. I already have in mind to build another using FFF fold for the airfoil for a more rigid wing to fly combat with.

Happy flyin’ and may
God bless you in all ways.
Earl Holding, Altus, Oklahoma
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:34 PM
ISRAEL
Joined Nov 2009
73 Posts
Here is my build of fomie zig, powerd by H.K 2408, 8x4 prop kf2-wing
flies great !
Thx Hot-Rod !!!!!
MagicJim is offline Find More Posts by MagicJim
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:30 AM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Waaaay Cool! I'm sure it flies as great as mine does. Since my last post, I've designed and built several more at 75% (27 inch WSs) and another at 83% (30 inch WS) and all fly great. I've also built one full size only cut the wingspan back to 27 inches and IT ROCKS! Also built some with tapered wings. With this design the RC'r can bash at will and the plane will just fly better and better. Happy flying.

earl
altus, OK
USA
Old May 02, 2010, 11:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,702 Posts
Thanks Delta Hot Rod!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:10 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
The Wonder is one of my favorites, too. I built one from Dollar Tree foam board in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051645 . It's a fun plane to fly and quite fast. One thing I'm wondering is do you have problems landing? I can't seem to pull the nose up with the motor off. If I move the CG back it becomes unstable at high speeds.

If you get a chance, could you post some pics of your electronics layout and motor mount?

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jun 06, 2010, 03:33 AM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
The Wonder is one of my favorites, too. I built one from Dollar Tree foam board in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051645 . It's a fun plane to fly and quite fast. One thing I'm wondering is do you have problems landing? I can't seem to pull the nose up with the motor off. If I move the CG back it becomes unstable at high speeds.

If you get a chance, could you post some pics of your electronics layout and motor mount?

Chris
kudos on your interests in the wonder-bashing world! Life is good. I'll post some pics of the electronic layout on one of my "semi-wonders". Regarding getting the nose up to flare the landing......My solution is to program in flaps (Spektrum dx6i with dual aileron servos) with approx 30% setting with 10-15% up elevator. This doesn't get the nose up but it does allow you to "float" on the landing approach. Otherwise, install a length of strapping tape on the bottom of the fuselage to protect during hard, fast landings.

happy trails and fair winds to you

delta hot rod,,,,,,altus, ok
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:05 PM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
More Wonders from Delta Hot Rod

Here are some pics of a "few" of my Wonders. So far, I've built 8 different sizes from EPP, Depron, Fan Fold, Dollar Tree and some strange foam I got from BP Hobbies. ALL FLY GREAT! The full size is 36" w.s. and the smallest is cut back to 27". I took one of my first full size Wonders and cut the wing span back to 27" and tapered it back a couple of inches and IT ROCKS. Extremely responsive and QUICK but very smooth and stable, even in these gusty southwest Oklahoma winds. CG is not critical and I generally put it about 2 to 2.5 inches back from LE.

Other mods from the original design:

1. ADD bamboo wing struts....adds a looooot of stiffness to the wing.
2. RAISE the motor to line up with the wing. (original design had the thrust line about an inch below the wing line.
3. DON'T NEED the big, thick fuselage...just make it out of 1/2" foam or even 1/4" ff. Not critical. Just thicken the area where the motor mounts.

The yellow wonder in the attached pic is made from Dollar Tree foam board with the paper backing soaked off.......good stuff. WS is 34" but installed on a 75% fuselage. I built it for low, slow flight and it flies great.

The rusty-red wonder is made from 5mm depron. WS here is 30 inches and with a 2805/2840kv turning a 5 x 3 prop ($6 from Hobby King) , it flies super good......

Both ROCK.[/I][/I][/I][/B][/B]