HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:51 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I got more nails so I could keep going, NOT real happy about the price of the little buggers, with shipping it cost me over $20.00 bucks for about 400 nails .028 X 1/2".

Doe's anyone out there know of a place I can buy in bulk, I am sure it would be alot cheeper that way.

Some pic's
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:16 AM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
What material are the nails made of that you are using Roger? I noticed that McMaster Carr has some 1/2" nails but the smallest diameter that I could find with a quick search were only .035" in diameter for steel and .048" diameter brass. They do sell in very large quantities though. You may want to try Graingers too.

Randy
dinosaursoupma is offline Find More Posts by dinosaursoupma
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Check out model railroad spikes. But make sure to punch the heads in, you'll have a heck of a time sanding the hull!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...03#post8569203
and
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94#post8592394
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:54 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
I am useing brass wire nails, .028 X 1/2" they have a small shank with a head 3 times the size of the shank, this pulls the plank in tight to the stantions/ ribs, I tried the .o48 they just split the wood and look way over scale. even with the heads sanded off,
the .028 head will sand off to the shank after the glue has dried and look more scale.

patmat2350:
I checked the rail road nails early on in other projects they are steel, and if you do find brass they are too short to hold the planks in place.

I can get the nails I need from hobby out lets, I was hopeing I could get them from the guy they buy from, years back I use to get my nails through Coast To Coast hard wear stores by the box they sold them by the pound, there where about 1000 to a box witch was plenty for the boats I was building in the 60's/70's, but they are no more. there must be some one out there that sells them in bulk?
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:41 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,549 Posts
plain brass rod - chop off your pins, the "heads" will form as you peen/drive them in.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:43 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Steel? No prob... my hull is 'glassed!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:44 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
jerrytodd:
That is alot of work, but I would get the same result in the end.

Patmat2350:
I will be glassing over but I have had the steel nails turn black over time and it doe's looks good for a rough look but I don't wont this one that way. I am going to try and keep the mohageny clean like a ChrisCraft barrel back. then again if it is going to be scale I need to think about paint.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:31 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,549 Posts
If it's glassed and painted, why's it need to be nailed? Sounds like a lot of work and cost for something unnecessary?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:18 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Jerrytodd:
I don't wont to paint, I would like to bring out the mohageny, the only paint will be the thin whit line around the hull at the deck line. see pic

I would like to start working on the sails, I would like to make them look like real canvus but I thing it would be to heavy, Ripstop looks like it would be to flimzy, any suggestions?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,789 Posts
Re Sails, There was a discussion about this in an old thread on RCSailing... Earl Boebert had some interesting thoughts on natural "high end" cotton >200 thread count for making scale boat sails... much more elegant than rip stop nylon...

Perhaps he can comment?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:50 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Brass nails and sails

Brass nails, 250 for about $4:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

My vote for sail material is Supplex (a DuPont outdoor, very supple cotton-like, wind/waterproof nylon fabric). It stays dry and really holds the wind. Also, after furling, it sheds wrinkles and smooths itself out.
It cuts with a hot blade and the edges seal, so no unravelling.
Dye it light tan (it comes in only a few colors, white is one) or whatever and it really looks good on a larger model.
A couple of Supplex sail pics attached.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:27 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,549 Posts
There's a couple of yard of cream colored Supplex on ebay.

Found one supplier that had white: Beacon Fabrics & Notions - $8.99 yard 60" wide.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Feb 04, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:48 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
My vote for sail material is Supplex (a DuPont outdoor, very supple cotton-like, wind/waterproof nylon fabric).
Great call! I thought the sails on your ship were natural fiber!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 04, 2010, 02:20 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Rocky Woods Fabrics

36 colors of 6oz/yd at $5.79/yd for 1 to 9 yards.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:38 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Thanks to you all, great info. on nails and sail stock, I thought insted ofwatching the glue dry I would work on the sails and get them ready for the fit.

Now were to get a hot wire to cut the fabric, I think there was a thread here some were that showed how to make one.

Thanks once again for the help.