HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:05 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Hey Roger,

In answer to your question about a build log, no I haven't started one yet. I was so curious and eager about trying the technique for building the hull that I forgot to take any pictures of the process. I'll do a demo hull later just to show how it was done and post then. Also, I've seen so many builds started that seem to fade into the woodwork and we never get to see the end results. Therefore I'd like to get close to completion before I start posting a build, which may be a while yet.

I would like to know what you find out about the masts so if you get that info, please pass it on.

Randy
dinosaursoupma is offline Find More Posts by dinosaursoupma
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
Once I hear back from Nathanial Howe, I'll post the results.

Roger
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Well it seems that the mohageny had some moisture in it when it was setting in my shop at about 40-45 dec., I had cut out all the stantions and moved it all up to my work shop where it is about 70 dec. the moisture was drying out of the wood so fast that the wood started splitting, so I made new stantions from plywood, so round two, and we'll do this again,
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,688 Posts
Haste makes waste

Ahem...I draw your attention to post #9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Using good wood (as opposed to plywood, MDF, etc), you might consider built up frames. You get more strength, a lot less waste, and generally make better use of the wood.

What I attached is only a rough sketch, it could be made up of more futtocks which would run the grain even better and use even shorter pieces (even less waste) - both reason why real boats are built in that manner.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Jerrytodd:
Thanks, but what this means is that I will need to add more ballast, But delusions of granger, ( witch I have alot) I would have liked to have the entire boat made of mohageny, to give it the gurth and weight, I realy don't won't a drop keel. but it looks like I'll need one and I've just started.

PS: But in the need of rebuild of stantions I turned to the plans from the C.A.Thayer to get the stantion and found that there are 22 of them compaired to the Wawona plans witch only have 12
Acording to an E-Mail I got from the seaport by Wayne Palsson, these ships are exactly the same, built by the same company, but the line drawings where made by two different pepole, so I wonder if when Wawona was restored the first time if they removed stantions before it was redrawn?
Last edited by ropanach; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,688 Posts
12 stations looks like more than enough for a model your size - you could probably manage on 6 - depending on how you intend to plank it.

I only had 12 stations in Constellation at 62" on deck - all 1/4" plywood:
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
jerrytodd:

I plan on planking single not doubbles this time, so the more the better, too get the lines of the ship.

I got the stantions cut out today and did a dry fit just to make sure all was well, so far so good, If I don't have too many more problems I might have these things on a build board soon.
Last edited by ropanach; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:24 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Got the first build board set up, glued in some stantions & dry fit samson post and Bowsprit, every thing is good so far
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
What a neat hull shape. Lots of width for your servo arms, too.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:45 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Brooks:
There is lots of room for every thing, when I first started setting up the build board I was looking at the stantions dry fit to the keel and thought this could be a Viking long boat with out a problem It has the same profile, other than it's not pointy on both ends.

I got the stantions in place yesterday, so to day I will remove the hull from the build borad and mount it to the next one for laying planks.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Very nice, Ro!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:36 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Aerominded:

Thanks

Got 4 planks layd and nailed, it takes 45 nails per. plank and figers out to be 42 planks for the hull, need to order more nails. I for got how much I enjoyed planking a hull.

Here are some pic's so far. If you can't see them, the splice joits that is, then I did it right.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:36 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
moveing right along have planked up 7 runs now, but I ran out of nails, ordered some, they are .027 X 1/2" planks a 3/16" so I get plenty of nail in the stantions to hold the planks in place.

Some more pic's

Roger
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:42 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
That is a lotta nails!!!

This ship has a nice hull shape- Great job so far on the planking!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:47 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Aerominded:
Thanks,
The nail count calc's, out to be 1890 just for the hull, I haven't figured out the deck planking yet. I only put 1144 in the hull for my Constitution a coupple of years ago,