HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:01 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Tankx Jerrytodd:

I don't have a problem removeing the masts if need be, to find scale mast rings would be great, do you have a link?
Roger
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:30 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,583 Posts
what about copper pipe, they make some odd sizes for aircondition, metric.
The odd sizes, metric, are used in solar, thermo, instalations, metric stuff.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
Get a dowel a little larger than the mast diameter at the boom - the masts are tapered, ya?

Wet a sheet of 1/32" thick basswood (or veneer) in hot water; roll it around the dowel tightly and wrap it with some tape, sting, rubber bands, whatever, to hold it until it dries. The wood sheet should be able to wrap around the dowel twice - 2 thicknesses. It can be whatever width you like, up to 6" should be easier to work with.

When it dries, paint thinned Tite-bond on the outside of the sheet and re-roll it on the dowel. You might put some wax paper between it and the dowel first. Bind it up again until the glue dries, then cut your hoops off the tube with a razor saw or a good x-acto blade.

You can do this with sheet styrene - you'll need a different glue. You can do this with card stock and paint them with resin. You can make them with plain paper - just make a lot more layers till they wind up about 1/16" thick.

The brown paper wet-n-stick packing tape will do nicely (the plain kind - not the stuff with the string in it). I used that for the bands on Constellation's masts and other "bands" of that sort.

Found this online:
Quote:
HOW TO MAKE MAST HOOPS

Using a hand plane, plane a thin shaving off the edge of a board. Cover a dowel with plastic wrap. Spread glue on the shaving and wrap it tightly around the dowel to produce a laminated tube. When dry, clean up the resulting tube and cut hoops off with a razor saw, or chuck the dowel in a drill or lathe and use a knife, saw, or parting tool to cut rings free.

Fine grained hardwoods work better than softwood - the shavings seem to stay together better and the resulting hoop is stronger. A fine grain structure that still shows in the finished hoop is good to simulate the oak of a full sized hoop. Use a wood with smooth grain that planes easily. Poplar works well. Dampen the shaving and iron it flat to take out any ripples and waves in the grain.

Since it's hard to get a completely tight winding, I use a slightly tapered dowel covered in plastic wrap, and wrap a glue-covered strip as tightly as I can around the dowel at a point slightly smaller than my intended result. Secure this with a couple wraps of masking tape, then force it towards the thicker end of the dowel while twisting it as if trying to "unwind" it. This clamps the layers together, binding them between dowel and masking tape to give nice tight laminations. I use yellow carpenters glue (TiteBond). You may want to dampen the strip or thin the glue slightly before use. Expect to get glue all over your fingers.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Apr 09, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Thanks guys for the info.

I'll try a couple of thing and see how it goes, Yes I know I am looking for strong, light, and scale.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I had the brass out looking for smaller size to make my mast rings out of, and found some 1/4" just long enough to make some ancors, so I did.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Nice metal work.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Thanks Millertime:
I'll get them painted up and no one will be abale to see the pits in the brass.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:31 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted for a wile, BUT I've had a bit of a set back.

It was a nice worm sonny day here in the north west, believe it or not, so I took the Wawona out for some tests, got to the lake set her in the water, was going to start laying lead to see what it would take to get her on the water line,
grabbed 40 lb.s of lead from the van walked over and started removing the covers off the deck to load here up, and to my surprise she was taking on water fast, pulled her out set her in the cradle and the water was pouring out the bottom as fast as it got in,
did a quick check, found a slice between boards 3/4 the Lenght of the boat on both sides, it looks like the microfiber I put on the bottom of the hull split, do to the boards srinking and openning a gap between them. So a long story short I have stirped the rigging off and began to rework the hull, no not happy
Old May 05, 2012, 11:53 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
Bummer. At least you found the problem before she got too far out to sea, e.g. on maiden voyage. Whew! My bread&butter hull Aldebaran developed a crack tween the layers, due to drying/wetting, I imagine (no fiberglass covering hull). I was able to stuff PlasticWood into the gap, but my lifts are much thicker than your planks, giving the PlasticWood something to grip.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old May 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Hi Brooks:

I didn't for the life of me thing that the micro fiber and the epoxy would be able to move that much too open the hull up. So far I have been able to get every think back where it should be by using ammonia and re nailing with epoxy on the nails to help seal the planks.
I'll set another sheet of micro fiber just to make sure she don't move again.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:23 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
HI guts/gals:

Got the Wawona back on her hull, refinnished the decks again, now I'll get the masts and rigging reset, and try getting her wet again.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropanach View Post
HI guts/gals:

Got the Wawona back on her hull, refinnished the decks again, now I'll get the masts and rigging reset, and try getting her wet again.
Oooo, no fun, but I am glad to read that you have repaired her!

P.S. I still don't buy all of the "Bad weather" stories I hear from the Great PNW! Surprised that it is nice and sunny? sure...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:32 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
The weather in the PNW is as how Bill Cosby said in the 60's " there are 365 days in a year and in Seatle it rains 360 and thats no joke"
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Hee hee, sure! It's a plot to keep us Californians out!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
OH NO!!!!! Please come and join us, but bring your wet weather gear, and a boat, unless you are afrade you will get your boat wet.