HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:05 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
The stern is approximately 45 degrees but at the very top of the stern is a small area that is 90 degrees to the keel.

I'm always on the look out for wood. The pine I'm using for the laminations came from some interior siding from an upscale but out-dated house's decor. Scored around 100 square feet of it. A contractor I did a job for gave me some of the last true Honduran Mahogany I've seen in 10 years. On another jobsite the flooring contactors were installing $75,000 worth of Black Walnut and only wanted straight grain without any knots or figure. I was allowed to grab any of the pieces that didn't meet the homeowners approval. Then there is always the discarded piece of old furniture made of beautiful hardwood. Needless to say I do have the equipment to process it for my needs, storage seems to be the biggest problem currently, I'm running out of space in my shed.

Randy
dinosaursoupma is offline Find More Posts by dinosaursoupma
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:03 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
You could allways make your shed two story.
I moved most of the real good wood up into the rafters, gives me more room to work in. I allso built a leanto on the back side of the shop to store lot more wood, I will be retirring( spelling) in 18 mounths so I need to get all I can now be for that time.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:54 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Actually, the shed is 2 stories, although the upper part is my daughters playhouse. I'm hoping she outgrows it soon and I can requisition it for storage purposes. That is it on the right in the picture below. I do store a lot of the wood in the spaces between the ceiling beams and I am currently working on making the spaces between the studs areas for storing varying lengths of wood. Anyhow, I don't want to hijack your thread, I want to see more of your Wawona.

Randy
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:40 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
add to the thread if you like it makes the thread more interesting for others.
and there is allways some thing I'm not doing the way others do sometimes I can use all the help i can get.

Stared checking some of the parts I need to get ready for the building board,
Still need too make two more stantions, then I can move on.

Found that the plans drawn up for the Wawona were drawn exactly how she set in dry dock witch means you do not want to use these plans to build from there is a 1" offset in the center of the hull so when you are mesuring every thing and scaleing it out the of set will come out about 1/32", what this means is the boat with the wheel set at center, it will alway want to turn to the starboard side, becaues the ship is bent like a banana, I am now useing the plans for the C.A.Thayer, and all seems to be good.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:45 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
That's the nice thing about the Thayer plans; Although they are drawn to reflect how the ship was originally built and should look like, they also include the 13" (as measured in 1989) and 15" (as measured in 2001) of hog that the ship took on over her career. I'm sure those figures helped convince the NPS that she did indeed need her hull rebuilt before it was too late.

What material are you using for your bulkheads?

Randy
Last edited by dinosaursoupma; Jan 09, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:35 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:

I am useing Mohageny for all.
I am thinking that the weight of the wood well bring her to the water line with out useing a drop keel, will need to add some lead but I'll be able to remove it for transport, yes it will be heavy but I have found that at all the boat shows, regattas, and other events, there is allways someone asking if they can help. even if I don't need the help I have them any way, because they all ask how did you do this, how did you do that, and I love to teach what I know, may not be right in some pepoles minds but it is in mine, for I now when I sail off into the sun set all that I now will be gone.

By the way? did you know that the masts on the Thayer are shorter than the first set the ship had, I was wondering by how much, This is acording to the newer set of prints?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:33 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
This is what i mean about the hight of the masts on the Thayer compaired to the masts sets on the Wawona.
The Thayer is running under full sail but they are much smaller the the full sail arraingment of the Wawona.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:26 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
I wasn't aware of the differences in the mast heighth. Unfortunatley there isn't a good plan of the Thayers masts. By measuring what drawings there are of the masts, I've come upwith 106' from the step in the keel to the top of the mast. I have no idea whether this was the original size of the mast or if it is from a more modern mast. I'm going to check the Wawona plans and see how they compare.

Randy
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaursoupma View Post
Actually, the shed is 2 stories...
Me? Jealous? Naa, not the least bit!

Looks like a nice setup you have there!

Nice job so far on the Thayer!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:39 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
I tried to up load the bow section of the plans for the C. A. Thayer but it's to big, and if I resize it you can't read it, it said in paregraft 8 that the spars & masts had been rebuilt several times and looked to be under sized for the jib boom lenight, and that this would be corrected at retoration, and the plans do not show this correction. That's what I am going by. good luck on finding any drawings of the mast set for the Wawona, thats why I am useing the plan sheets for the Thayer.
Last edited by ropanach; Jan 10, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
In my never ending search for ships and plans I ran across this link regarding the Wawona; http://http://www.museum.nps.gov/safr/vfpcgi.exe?IDCFile=/safr/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=20921,NEXTRECORDS=51,PREVRECO RDS=0,DATABASE=47648719,LISTIDC=/SAFR/PAGE.IDC,RECORDMAX=50,RECNO=45,WORDS=D='bird+class +sloop+30'+OR+D=plans' Of particular note is item 8, "Fore, main and mizzen mast plans; also part of Wawona lines-lifting project, undated, sheet 1 of 1, 61 x 92 cm. {24 x 36 inches}." A copy of that plan may be useful for our builds. There are a few other plans there that aren't available through the HAER site.

Randy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
The sheet plans for the Wawona would help, hopefully they are the origenal set to get the right hight, If I could remember the formula, jib boom verses masts I could figure it out and would not need the plans to get the right hight, I belive it was 3 to 1or maybe 2.5 to 1. wish I had a pill that would help me remember the things I use to know, I'm in deep s--t, can't teach an old dog new tricks, and he can remember the ones he knew.

but for that site you posted, if I can figure out how to navigate it to find the plans or a place to buy them they would be nice to have.

Roger
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
I believe it will require a visit to the museum in order to see them. Or, it might be possible to get an employee of the museum to research it. That could cost some money though. I'll see what I can do that won't cost a lot of money (being that that is in short supply right now) or a trip north.

Randy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:48 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
Thanks for the offer but I don't need them that bad, besides I don't wan't to take you away from your build, you've got a good start there.
Have you got a build thread going here on R/C group?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:28 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Randy:
I just recived an E-Mail from Wayne Palsson from the NW Seaport, where the Wawona was being restored, he said he didn't have the deck or sail plan for the Wawona, but he would send the info. to Nathanial Howe, who was conducting much of the last documentation of the Wawona, and that he may have it in hand or at least has the data.
and wished me luck in my search.

So we may be able to get what we need after all, if he gets back to me that is.

Roger