HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:12 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
For Constellation I filled a 4 foot length of PVC pipe with lead bird shot. It weights in at 42 pounds. It has two 1/2 i.d. tubes through it with SS connector nuts friction fit inside. A SS socket-head bolt threads into the nuts from below. SS threaded rods drop through aluminum tubes in the hull and thread into the connector nuts from the above. I'm going to have a socket head welded to the top of the rod, but there's a nut there for the time being.

You'll find this arrangement very similar to the SC&H models and to the mods DanL made to his Syren

The point is you can easily remove 40+ pounds from your model when you transport and move it. That's a lot of weight and inertia and it can make a difference in how much damage is done if you bump into something holding a 30 pound model compared to a 70 pound model. It also gets most of your weight deeper than is possible by putting it IN the hull, while adding only about 3" to her draft. No molten lead casting, not expensive, and made from easily obtained materials. I'll be painting mine black, BTW.

As for Wawona's finish: I vote to make her look like what she is - a lumber schooner - paint her.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Aug 17, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:13 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
Aerominded:
My wife and son say DON"T paint it, I said but it needs paint to look scale, So They told me to leve it as is for at lease one year so every one can see the work I put into It, so I agreed.

jerrytodd:

That is the same thng I had see done some where on the boards, it may have been your thread, it's removeabal I like that, I'm sure after all the rigging,fittings ETC. It will take less weight to bring her to the water line.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:17 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,370 Posts
Re: paint, sounds like a fair solution, Roger! I would be torn myself... scale vs. being able to see the nice planking.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:31 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,571 Posts
Uff, man, she is just beautifull. I would be torn between painting and the so beautifull wood. If it were my boot, she wood stay naked. Your wood work is so beautifull.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:54 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
Thanks guys

It wouldbe hard for me to pain it. there are 6 thin coats of epoxy on the hull, yes sanded smooth between each coat. Maybe thats why there were no leaks at the float test.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:32 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,370 Posts
If it is just straight epoxy, you might consider a clear coat with UV protection... Varnish or exterior Polyurethane.

Epoxy will haze and loose clairity after a while.

(Clear coat would have to be sanded before paint... which would be a good reason to keep it clear finish)
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:56 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
I would normaly shoot with clear coat, but it will be painted in a year, I try to build to scale, she won't look to bad painted green, will she? Well thats the color that was put on her in Seatle at the port Museum, I beleve that she just had tar over her hull to help seal her, and didn't have a proper paint job, they built this type of ship to work not to be pretty.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,370 Posts
Green won't look bad. that is a surprize that it was green... would have thought black.

Thayer, down here in the SF bay area is black with a little bit of trim. If you ever make it down here, that is an absolute must see... the recent restoration on it is amazing.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
Aerominded:

Black would be the right color for that era. I watched the rebuild on the web site for the Maritime Museum. there are lots of pictures of the rebuild. It was in pretty bad shape when they started.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:33 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
I'e been laying down the decks , and thought " I wonder if other wood boat builders use these" that is a HOOK SCRAPER, I use them to take down the high spots on my hulls and decks before I start to sand, it save me a lot of work this way, and a lot of sand papper?

Some pic's
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
Slow dry dock worker
Tacoma, Washington
Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts
Looking Great Dad

Looking great cant wait to see it one of these days. Connor says it looks good and its grandpas boat. Sitting on my lap and looking at the pictures with me. Have fun talk to you later.
Dragooneye is offline Find More Posts by Dragooneye
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:12 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
Dragooneye:
It would be nice to see you guy's, I'll try to get up there in a coupple of weeks.
Last edited by ropanach; Aug 22, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:50 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
I've been working on the decks, but I need to stop untill I get some better pic's of the stearn decks, the C.A.thayer, shows the deck, fore deck and aft deck to be higher than the ones on the Wawona. need to find some photos that show more detail.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:46 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
got more of the decking done, got one hatch cover with canvas done, got the stearing gear house done. Haven't been working on her much this summer, lot of shows to do for the public and of corse, lot of regattas to attend.

Some pic's.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,370 Posts
Looking nice, Ropanach! any updates?