HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:16 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
a HH gyro or flybarless controller wants a fast response from the axis. Just like a tail gyro wants a fast acting tail servo to work well, so will a gyro on the cyclic. So you'd need alot of cyclic response to go in HH mode or you would need to turn the gain waaaay down. Rate mode would dampen movement but there are other ways to dampen movement in the cyclic that is dirt cheap like flybar wieghts (or heavier flybar weights), lower headspeed, heavier blades, less cyclic throw.

If you want your 450 to be more stable, I suggest this:

1) flybar weights
2) smaller flybar paddles (reduces Hiller input)
3) shorter flybar 200mm or 190mm (EXI 450 flybar is 200mm)
4) 335mm mainblades (Hobbypartz has them cheap)
5) double up on flybar weights.
6) Move your cyclic servo balls in 1 hole and reconfigure your pitch curves. This will make the cyclic servos stronger on the swash and center better. You will get less pitch range but that is not as important for sport flying or hovering around if that's what you want to do.

I had a Gaui 365 flybarless unit once. It was sensitive to tail vibes so I returned it. When I got it, I tested it on my heli with the flybar still attached. I had the flybar weights off and a high headspeed so the head was MORE responsive and I turned the gain on the GU365 down alot. It seemed to work somewhat. I later made that heli flybarless with a skookum 360 and Gaui fbl head.

Even with head stabilization, the wind gusts still make a little 450 heli bob up and down.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:36 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
All I can say is be careful, if your gyros arent set up right you can induce oscillations which almost always result in a crash. Think of it as tail wag when the gain is set too high, now imagine that wag on elevator and aileron. Start with a low gain and work your way up slowly making sure you test all aspects of flight at every gain setting. What works in a hover might be way out of whack in FF or during a stall turn.
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:00 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
714 Posts
Near end of the following vid, from 0:57, you will see hands-off flight of T-Rex450Pro flybarless with Mikado Mini V-Bar.
Some Japanese pilot claims that his T-Rex450 with Mini V-Bar is so stable even in windy conditions.

cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
RCG Plus Member