SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Discussion
Flying in cold weather

Do you fly in cold weather? What problems should we be aware of and what is a reasonable low temperature limit?

I have a t-rex 450 and have flown in freezing temps a little bit before. Batteries need to be kept warm untill flight. The GY-401 has a lower limit of -10C. The HS-65MG servos has a lower temp limit of -20C which is probably about the same as the comfort limit of an average pilot . Same lower temp limit for the Futaba S9257.

What else? Will ice on blades, links and other moving parts be a possible problem? What about ice/humidity on ESC during battery changing? Servos, do the have a lower temp limit?

Will the plastic or rubber parts get brittle?

Will links become loose or inert due to different amount of shrink?

Please share your knowledge/experience! I'd like to fly tomorrow...
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:52 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Hi,

The tail boom might shrink causing your belt to become loose, just tighten it up a lot before flying.

ESC/Servos/Motor etc should be fine. Gyro might not like it but you should be okay.

Plastic will get brittle so be careful with hard landings.

Batteries, yep they hate the cold, keep them as warm as you can (42C max)

Keep your hands warm too when not flying I wouldn't advise to wear any gloves while flying as this can cause your TX to slip out your hands etc.
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Thanks,

Would a carbon tail boom be less prone to shrinkage than an alu one?

I use a pair of these gloves: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8415 . They are warmer than nothing and does not interfere much with operation of the radio. With them I now carry the heli with the ring finger and little finger so that I do not need to touch the cold metal with bare skin.

I have not tried a radio mitt, but I will look into that.

And hard landings won't be a problem as long as there is lots of snow
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:11 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Yes, a carbon tail boom would, although I wouldn't really change it just for the cold weather.

A radio mitt is a good idea, I have never used one myself though.
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jan 02, 2010, 11:35 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,564 Posts
if it's too cold, i don't bother to .. i hate not being able to get some flying in, but i've had bad tail problems when it's cold. when the temps get up to the 40's & 50's i get a few flights in.. good time to play on the sim if it's toooo cold
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:16 AM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
I have a pair of fleece mittens that have a flap that you can flip down to expose your fingers. Under the flap is a fingerless glove that covers your hand and fingers up to the second knuckle. The thumb has a slit in it that you can poke your thumb through. I keep the mittens on until right before I go out to fly and right after the flight I slip the mitten flap back down.
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:01 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,344 Posts
[QUOTE=tb47;13963626
What else? Will ice on blades, links and other moving parts be a possible problem?

[/QUOTE]

You have to fly in/through visible moisture to pick up ice. Fog, mist, clouds, rain, snow are examples, and also bad for electronics.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:37 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
A transmitter mitt like one of these will help keep the hands warm.

RCMitt
RaydioWarm

RCMitt will do custom mitts, but you pay more for it. HeliProz also stocks the RaydioWarm mitt.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12