HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:34 AM
MI
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
Discussion
RCTimer 30A Programmable ESC

I recently purchased an RCTimer 30A Programmable ESC, and am a little confused. Does it only have one speed? It seems that when the throttle reaches the highest point, the motor turns on to one speed but won't go higher or lower. I need an ESC with completely variable speed. Did I waste my money?
hunter7193 is offline Find More Posts by hunter7193
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 12:02 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,393 Posts
Just looked it up on ebay. It should be a normal brushless speed controller with a, quote - "Smooth, linear and precise throttle response."

Have you set it up ?, (programed it). It recommends connecting the negative to the battery first and then the positive, for correct arming.

But then it is rather cheap, sometimes that's Ok, sometimes ............
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 02, 2010, 12:29 PM
MI
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
I set it up, just like it said in the manual. Which, by the way is the HobbyWing manual for their esc's since this is a HobbyWing rip off. I'm using a T connector so I can't just connect the negative first. As for programming, I've got the throttle set up correctly, I tried changing the startup mode and the Timing but neither of them changed anything either. At least it's supposed to work...
Old Jan 02, 2010, 12:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,393 Posts
Have you set it up for the throttle stick range ?

I don't know that ESC, but usually it involves throttle trim all the way down, throttle stick high, (max), then plug the battery in. (WARNING: Be very very careful if trying this, ensure the plane cannot move, just in case).
Once the ESC arms, then it's throttle stick to low.
This is so the ESC knows the full throttle range.

That's about the only thing I can think of to try.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 02, 2010, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7193 View Post
I recently purchased an RCTimer 30A Programmable ESC, and am a little confused. Does it only have one speed? It seems that when the throttle reaches the highest point, the motor turns on to one speed but won't go higher or lower. I need an ESC with completely variable speed. Did I waste my money?

Maybe it is in governor mode. Do you have a programming card?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:01 PM
MI
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
I don't have a programming card, but I didn't read anything about a governor mode in the manual. I'm assuming governor mode would be for gas helis, and the esc doesn't give me that option when I am in program mode.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Electric has a governor mode too. check it, that is what it sounds like to me.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Or the ESC is defective but if that was so, it would not function at all in my opinion.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:27 PM
MI
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
Nope I got it fixed. There was a problem with my receiver after all. I was a little quick to blame the new guy. It looks to me like a fantastic ESC, and it was cheap so time will tell. Sorry about the false alarm, thanks for your help.