HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:08 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
new tbs chapter: vegas
Las Vegas [TBS@USA 11/13] (3 min 29 sec)
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:20 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
While Trappy and TBS annoy me their use of a small quad like this does not. Slow, lightweight, low altitude, not a big deal.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:20 AM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Great video editing skills, newbie quad flyer.
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
While Trappy and TBS annoy me their use of a small quad like this does not. Slow, lightweight, low altitude, not a big deal.
It's interesting to see what annoys people and what doesn't. A quad can slice you up pretty good and they are in a densely populated area right over people in the video. But it doesn't bother me bc I have flown w/ Trappy in Viriginia and I see what goes into his pre-flight. If there was ANYBODY I'd trust w/ a quadcopter over people it'd be TBS, myself, or JUZ. Anyone outside of that - and I'm worrying.

I think if we flew to make everyone happy, we would hardly get to fly - even LOS. That's why I am not ashamed of anything that I fly. I do understand that when I fly I am representing the countless others that fly as well - so my pre-flight, testing, gear, and thumbs are always ready. I don't ever go "welll, it looks rough but I'll give it a shot". The issue is that not everyone is like that - and people want instant gratification - it will likely be one of those guys that makes the news - LOL.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
It's interesting to see what annoys people and what doesn't. A quad can slice you up pretty good and they are in a densely populated area right over people in the video. But it doesn't bother me bc I have flown w/ Trappy in Viriginia and I see what goes into his pre-flight. If there was ANYBODY I'd trust w/ a quadcopter over people it'd be TBS, myself, or JUZ. Anyone outside of that - and I'm worrying.

I think if we flew to make everyone happy, we would hardly get to fly - even LOS. That's why I am not ashamed of anything that I fly. I do understand that when I fly I am representing the countless others that fly as well - so my pre-flight, testing, gear, and thumbs are always ready. I don't ever go "welll, it looks rough but I'll give it a shot". The issue is that not everyone is like that - and people want instant gratification - it will likely be one of those guys that makes the news - LOL.
You keep talking about your pre flight checks and such, what would you consider to be a thorough pre-flight check for a safe FPV flight?
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
You keep talking about your pre flight checks and such, what would you consider to be a thorough pre-flight check for a safe FPV flight?
It is going to be a thorough response, give him some time to answer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
It is going to be a thorough response, give him some time to answer
Well, the quad I was not freaking out about as its small and slow and flown sedately and low in altitude. If any of those don't apply then you would need to reconsider. Regardless, around crowds it should not be done to be truthful as stuff happens no matter how much prep you do. You can't guarantee against failure.

As to Trappy, I think he's a dork as his responses to the New York City uproar indicated he does not care how his actions may affect others. Don't be the same way Sentry. I'm sure you are a nice guy and Bradley clearly thinks you are ok but no amount of prep work can account for unforeseen failures. You can't add redundancy upon redundancy so failure is always possible.

Regardless, situational awareness is always an issue with FPV (ie: forward looking view is a better term than "first person view"). You don't get the same peripheral vision as you would if you were sitting in the cockpit due to the limitation of optics. That's why I think despite any prep work and despite possible failures it's a big issue as to how/when to fly a UAV when manned aircraft are present. My guess is the FAA will be exceptionally restrictive on the commercial UAV guys and will at the same time have to crack down on the rogue/bad behaving manned flyers out there.
Last edited by rpstar; Apr 05, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,819 Posts
nm...
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 05, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
nm...
Caught that before the edit. VERY well said. As much as I like my homegrown ATL guys ... I think my time is better spent elsewhere. The local guys know they can call/text anytime.

Happy skies to all. Unsubscribed.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,132 Posts
Dayemn, Just been sitting back watching this unfold. I knew it was coming. It was inevitable.

If you guys do happen to check back, Dont forget the 2nd Annual Invitational FPV fly-in at my home field June 9-10.
It's not for the weak of mind.

I have a grand concept for a new FPV experience, but just have not got it to the front burner. See yall at SEFF.

No Guts / No Glory
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
It is too easy to play devils advocate for either side... no more preaching

On a lighter note, I just pulled the trigger on an RVOSDv5

I am so excited! Here is Matt's review :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=rvosd5+review
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Bradley have you flown you queen bee yet?
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Not as prop; not as fpv.

Hoping to get it, and the P-47 flying in the next few days.
On the 47- all I have left is hardware/linkages and radio programming
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Not as prop; not as fpv.

Hoping to get it, and the P-47 flying in the next few days.
On the 47- all I have left is hardware/linkages and radio programming
I have the mini-bee. Nice little flyer as is. I guess it could be FPV but it would need small gear.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Dayemn, Just been sitting back watching this unfold. I knew it was coming. It was inevitable.

Yep
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft