Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Finally. I have video!!

I did a ground check last night of my video and everything checks out and I cant wait to fly FPV. I am still working out the motor mount, but expect to have that taken care of by next weekend.

Set-up:
Windrider Queen Bee
GoProHD
Lawmate 1.2gHZ 1W
Fatshark Dominators
DragonLink
Futaba 9c

All that is left to do is solder up the Dragon, hook up the motor, program the 9c and fly.

I have also got my eyes out for an OSD (preferably RVOSD once in stock).
Let me know if you need a test pilot
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,350 Posts
my new esc for my bixler showed up today and i got a nice 4000mah 3s pack during christmas. Switched my turnigy 9x over to FRsky since i purchased another radio. Should get me out to the 1km distance i am looking to fly. Only issue i have now is finding a connector for my cloverleaf antennae. I need a 90* SMA connector which isnt hard to find...the problem is that for some reason my FPV equipment has the male and female backwards.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:54 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,184 Posts
FPV Newbie

Hey Folks!
I live in Decatur, GA just inside the perimeter at Covington Hwy. I'm a member of the Stone Mountain RC Flyers Club, and we have one guy there that does FPV but I hardly see him there.
I'd love to hang out with someone who flys FPV near my area and learn the ropes: what systems are good, prices, set ups, etc.

I know absolutely nothing about how the set ups work, and reading the first 2 pages of FPV on RCGroups was like trying to read Chinese. I think I would benefit better from having an actual person showing me how it all works. If anyone is near my area and flys FPV feel free to PM me please.
FPV is the direction I want to go with this hobby.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
Hey MB, I saw noone has responded yet so I wanted to reach out to ya

I still have not flown my own system, but have slowly been buying components and getting advice on what to buy for nearly a year. I would be happy to chat with you to let you know why I got what I did... but I will still likely defer you to WebDr, Ludo, Shadow, Sentry, IBCrazay, or anyone at FPVLab for any real questions as I have no real world experience yet
and definitely go read up on FPVlab, it has been my most valued resource throughout all this

I live in buckhead if you want to come check it out or meet for a drink and discuss.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Hey Folks!
I live in Decatur, GA just inside the perimeter at Covington Hwy. I'm a member of the Stone Mountain RC Flyers Club, and we have one guy there that does FPV but I hardly see him there.
I'd love to hang out with someone who flys FPV near my area and learn the ropes: what systems are good, prices, set ups, etc.

I know absolutely nothing about how the set ups work, and reading the first 2 pages of FPV on RCGroups was like trying to read Chinese. I think I would benefit better from having an actual person showing me how it all works. If anyone is near my area and flys FPV feel free to PM me please.
Depends on how much your willing to spend, what your distance goal is, and what you want to do with the FPV.

If money is no object...Dragonlink LRS, Futaba9c, Lawmate 1.2ghz 1W, Fatsharks, ect are all things to look at but expect to be putting well over $1000 into a setup right off the bat.

I went cheap on my first FPV plane and have been adding stuff or changing out things as i go. Even at my current personal distance record of half a kilometer its been a blast and thus far my total investment is in the $300-400 range.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
I would very much recommend the route chosen by Shadow over going for all the top end stuff. I have invested far more than I wanted to, and have been building on this setup for at least 6 months because I did not want to shell out all the funds at once.

His route will have you flying immediately, plus there seems to be a growing market for FPV gear. This means that you will likely have an easier time selling your older equipment if you do decide to upgrade to a high end setup down the road.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
For some of you more experienced FPV'ers, I was curious what alternatives are there to RVOSD?

Do any of the alternatives (Dragon, EZOSD, etc) have all the features of the RVOSD5?

I like the layout of the RVOSD, but also the ability to turn on and off the Fly-by-wire controls, RTH (return-to-home), 140-amp sensor, artificial horizon, CALL SIGN, g-force meter, autopilot modes, warnings, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Hey Folks!

I'll be happy to take you on an FPV discovery flight. I just texted you on your mobile.

I do not recommend more than 500mw, there is no point in punishing the rest of the gear on the plane - adding gain on the ground is the ticket if you feel that you are flying further than 500mw can get you (good luck w/ that - most records we se are on half a watt - ha ha).

I can get you going 2 miles reliably and you won't need a lot of the bells/whistles that people flock to. We'll sit down and chat about about it and go from there. If you do not see a text from me, then you've changed your number since you gave it to me over a year ago - just message me here in that case.

Happy skies...
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
For some of you more experienced FPV'ers, I was curious what alternatives are there to RVOSD?

Do any of the alternatives (Dragon, EZOSD, etc) have all the features of the RVOSD5?

I like the layout of the RVOSD, but also the ability to turn on and off the Fly-by-wire controls, RTH (return-to-home), 140-amp sensor, artificial horizon, CALL SIGN, g-force meter, autopilot modes, warnings, etc.
The dosdv2 is the one I use and like so far. It has everything the rv does except ahi. You can add ahi to dosd using a fy30a though.
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I'll be happy to take you on an FPV discovery flight. I just texted you on your mobile.

I do not recommend more than 500mw, there is no point in punishing the rest of the gear on the plane - adding gain on the ground is the ticket if you feel that you are flying further than 500mw can get you (good luck w/ that - most records we se are on half a watt - ha ha).

I can get you going 2 miles reliably and you won't need a lot of the bells/whistles that people flock to. We'll sit down and chat about about it and go from there. If you do not see a text from me, then you've changed your number since you gave it to me over a year ago - just message me here in that case.

Happy skies...
^^^^
Listen to this guy.....he taught me everything I didnt know.....Im just not a good listener
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,531 Posts
New plane takes to the air

My son Josh got in 2 flights on his new wing we built. He loves it!

I think that tri-pod is over 50 years old
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
My son Josh got in 2 flights on his new wing we built. He loves it!

I think that tri-pod is over 50 years old
Congrats Josh!
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,767 Posts
One day I've got to come to the patch and learn the basics of FPV and particularly base station design. Don't you guys hold some sort of FPV special event at some point there? I seem to remember Kevin Hines telling me he went there for some FPV event at some point.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
My latest few...

Final Flight of 2011 - BASH TIME! :) (5 min 19 sec)

1.2gHz Test 3- She's Dialed In!!!! (3 min 18 sec)

Hotlanta FPV Teaser (2 min 4 sec)
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
One day I've got to come to the patch and learn the basics of FPV and particularly base station design. Don't you guys hold some sort of FPV special event at some point there? I seem to remember Kevin Hines telling me he went there for some FPV event at some point.
X2 that's really the info I am missing right now is how to setup a base station andantennae selection.