SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:33 PM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Discussion
Binding Spektrum Dx6i

New to hobby and trying to bind to the rx. Transmitter programmed for plane. Battery checks out -new - fully charged - proper output. When I follow the binding procedure everything appears to go according to the book - then I shut of Tx and it "saves settings":But when I try to see if servos react - NOTHING happens. Obviously the binding has not worked. Tried putting power through a spare opening and bind plug into "power" same thing. Appears to bind but doesn't. Anything obvious I am missing? I told the "trainer" until binding complete then release and pull bind plug, then shut off tx. I have tried to get servos to react before shutting off Tx and after off/on Tx but nothing moves.
ANY suggestions will help.
Thanks
pepper12 is offline Find More Posts by pepper12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 01:12 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
I have a dx7 so binding is similar. I always just follow the instructions and never have a problem. So I don't know what your problem might be.

It appears that you covered this, but, FWIW, you have to bind thru either a 3-wire switch or by bypassing the switch and putting the bind plug in the bind/batt slot on the rx (you can plug the batt in another channel for binding directly to the rx). Other than that just make sure you follow the steps. Maybe take it to a hobby shop or club where someone can actually see what your doing - hard to visualize on the net...
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:13 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Insert Bind plug into the Batt/Bind slot.

Apply power to the Rx through any other slot. Rx LED should flash.

Turn on Tx while holding bind switch/button (push switch or button BEFORE turning on). Tx should be at least 3 feet away from Rx (it can work closer, but best to be a bit away if you are having trouble) and not near large expanses of metal.

Hold switch or button, Rx LED should change the flash rate, then go out, then come on solid.

Release bind switch/button.

Remove bind plug, remove power from Rx.

Turn off Tx.

Turn on Tx (do NOT touch Bind switch/button). If you touch the bind switch/button while turning on the Rx, the Tx will no longer talk to the Rx. More if you want.

Power on Rx. The LED should be off, then after 1 - 5 seconds, should come on solid. Again, do not hold the Tx too close or do not do this near large expanses of metal (including under a metal roof).

If the LED does not come on, the Rx is NOT bound to the Tx.

It is possible to have a bad Rx or Tx, so try binding a known good Rx.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
I insert bind plug (tried two different ones)When I apply power through another slot Rx light just comes on steady (no flashing)
Tried balance of instructions with no result. Does the steady light indicate anything - like a faulty Rx?
Thanks for your input
Dave
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:01 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Are you SURE you are putting the bind plug into the proper slot? It MUST go into the Batt slot.

If so, it is probably a bad Rx. It could be a bad bind plug, but unlikely two in a row bad.

You can also test by shorting the two outer pins of the Batt slot (be CAREFUL to not short the center pin to either outer pin).
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:14 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
There are several things to watch for:

1. Transmitter should be turned OFF when powering the receiver in bind mode.

2. Insert the bind plug in the BATT/BIND slot of the receiver with the receiver turned off. Won't work in any other slot!

3. Use a freshly charged pack when binding. Make sure you plug in the battery properly - a battery plugged in reverse will get the LED on but will not power the receiver properly.

4. When powered up with the bind plug in the bind slot, the receiver LED must flash rapidly. If not - do not continue as the receiver has not entered bind mode. Check 1 through 3 above. If everything checks OK but the receiver won't enter bind mode - send it back to Horizon.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Thanks for all the input> I will try again and follow each step diligently. If it doesn't work, the LHS said he would show me how to bind it properly - or tell me what's wrong LOL
Thanks again,
Dave
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not certain exactly what I did wrong BUT I followed all of the advise given to the letter and finally SUCCESS! Proper binding and all servos react as they should!
I am printing off this page and will keep it with the instruction manual.
THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!
Dave
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:26 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The two most common mistakes are putting the bind plug in the wrong slot, or putting the power plug in upside down.