SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2010, 02:53 PM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
80 Posts
Discussion
4 axis screen for MACH 3

Here are a couple of screen shots of a screenset that I just finished for a 4 axis hot wire cutter.

Here is the link to the screenset.
http://odysseywood.us/profili/CNC%20Foam.zip

Sam
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:59 PM
1.21 gigawatts
Fort.lauderdale Florida
Joined Jul 2006
724 Posts
you only have one YX airfoil view you need two windows for both YX,s
so you can see both airfoils
?? is this Cnc program for a none taper wing

Eddie
EDDIEGIGOWATTS is offline Find More Posts by EDDIEGIGOWATTS
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:01 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
921 Posts
mach foam cuting

thanks for the screen set for match you are a lot further in to mach than me is there any tutorials that show how to write files for this
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:32 AM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
80 Posts
Eddie, MACH software will only allow you to see the XY axis and not the AB. That being said since MACH is only a control interface for the cutter only seeing the XY is not a big draw back. By the time you send your g-code to MACH you should have already run it through a simulation program to be sure your design will cut as you expect.

dpot, There are several programs available to write 4 axis g-code. The program I have been using is Profili Another program that looks very promising is CNCWorkbench which I have just started to work with. There is also LazyCAM which I have not tried yet but does have 2D and 3D foam capabilities.

Here is a link to a program that will convert GMFC cut files to g-code.
http://www.sokoll.net/doku.php/pasti...rsion_software

Sam
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Last edited by Sam Harbold; Jan 03, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added an additional link
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2005
921 Posts
thanks again SAM i am looking at up dating my profili to professional ver
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Sam that looks fantastic! Nice work
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:18 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Sam, thanks for sharing your screen set. I was looking for a way to visualize the 4 axis hotwire cutting and found your screen set. Worked great. I was answering someone's questions today and got interested if you could manually edit g-code to use in a hotwire cutter. Here a quick video I made featuring your screen set. If you want to check it out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=8

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Sam that is really great 10/10
Garth
GRACEWING is offline Find More Posts by GRACEWING
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
Newport Beach
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
The right tower ( up/down ) does not move for me

any ideas why ? (numbers also do not change in gui for that stepper motor)
Doron is offline Find More Posts by Doron
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Newport Beach
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doron View Post
any ideas why ? (numbers also do not change in gui for that stepper motor)
Never mind. I figured it out.... I need to use X,Y and A,B and not X,Y, Z,A as I did ...
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
Newport Beach
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
zero axis

Sending the towers 'home' and zeroing the x,y,a,b does not always work...
At time I was able re-load g-code and sometimes the axis zeros out ok.
Any ideas ?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:34 AM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
705 Posts
Mach3 troubleshooting needed

I have downloaded Sam's screen and brought it up in Mach 3, which I am a complete newbie at. My previous experience was with Foamworks, which I was able to set up for my Foamlinx hot wire machine.

So, like I said, I downloaded the 4 wire screen from Sam and got it integrated so Mach 3 starts with it. I then followed the tutorial on youtube about setting up Mach 3 for hot wire cutting. I did take into account that we use XYAB axes with this screen.

I get response on all 4 axes, it's just not quite right. And trolling thru the Mach 3 documentation is tedious to find what I think should be pretty simple answers. So hopefully Sam or someone can help. The problems:

I am using the on screen up/down/left/right arrows to troubleshoot, but also get the same results using hot keys

Both horizontal axes X and A are responding and they move one way with left arrow and one way with right arrow. But the A axis is moving backwards. How do I simply reverse the direction of this axis?

The vertical axes are more puzzling Each have the same problem. Up arrow makes them go up, but down arrow also makes them go up. I must conclude that either I have the wrong direction pin set, or I am not getting the correct direction signal. Obviously, what so I know tho. Does this problem look familiar? What do I need to fix for this to work?

Thanks
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
921 Posts
try dir lowative just tick
if not are your hot keys setup right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I have downloaded Sam's screen and brought it up in Mach 3, which I am a complete newbie at. My previous experience was with Foamworks, which I was able to set up for my Foamlinx hot wire machine.

So, like I said, I downloaded the 4 wire screen from Sam and got it integrated so Mach 3 starts with it. I then followed the tutorial on youtube about setting up Mach 3 for hot wire cutting. I did take into account that we use XYAB axes with this screen.

I get response on all 4 axes, it's just not quite right. And trolling thru the Mach 3 documentation is tedious to find what I think should be pretty simple answers. So hopefully Sam or someone can help. The problems:

I am using the on screen up/down/left/right arrows to troubleshoot, but also get the same results using hot keys

Both horizontal axes X and A are responding and they move one way with left arrow and one way with right arrow. But the A axis is moving backwards. How do I simply reverse the direction of this axis?

The vertical axes are more puzzling Each have the same problem. Up arrow makes them go up, but down arrow also makes them go up. I must conclude that either I have the wrong direction pin set, or I am not getting the correct direction signal. Obviously, what so I know tho. Does this problem look familiar? What do I need to fix for this to work?

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot View Post
try dir lowative just tick
if not are your hot keys setup right
I'm sorry. I do not understand your first sentence.

For the hot keys, they should not affect the on-screen buttons, right? I am getting the problem using the on-screen arrow buttons.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2005
921 Posts
sorry hope this is better

On the "Motor Outputs" screen you can enable and disable the axes. Place a checkmark in the X, Y, & Z "Enable" boxes, and apply the following pins:
X-Step: 3
Y-Step: 5
Z-Step: 7
X-Direction: 2
Y-Direction: 4
Z-Direction: 6
Set the "Step" and "Dir" port as 1. If you want to reverse the directions of any of the axes, place a checkbox in the "Dir Low Active".