SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4addict View Post
One six, you sure made it sound pretty tempting....... i'll be glued to this thread all day long.....

Apex, that nose looks awesome. a job well done... looks like an arc in there right?
Try to catch one of the sales at Hobby People and pick one up!!

smokescreen38,
Extra credit?..Sure brownie points for TV and even Gear if you like.
But it the bottom line is top end speed.

Apex,
I really like what ya did with the canopy...mines all glassed now. wish I saw that earlier.
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Last edited by One Six Right; Jan 27, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:41 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Little progress today.
After making room for the motor wires. The foam was pretty thin at the top, So in goes another CF strip. Just in case. When I ran my F-16 at ~1,9-2Kw
it broke in half mid flight, just at the fan. So a few extra grams is worth the piece of mind.

I considering whipping out the hack saw and doing something about my canopy. That's gonna set me back some time.

I've ditched the intake liner idea, and going back to glassing the area, and making a front and rear fairing for the ESC. I need to have the FAN/ESC easily removable.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:21 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Oh Gawd!!!
Did the phrase "pringlin the wings" ACTUALLY catch on?

LOL
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:37 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,438 Posts
Quote:
it broke in half mid flight
After reading that in one of your posts before, a 2' length of carbon rod got stuck along the rails from the afterburner ring up to the nose area then jb welded the ply to the carbon. How would you suggest fixing the fan hatch, I glassed in and out on this one and was gonna do some Morgan' style screw mortises out of shreds,bubs and epoxy 4 screws for the hatch. I'm thinking of glassing the total inside of the duct also for stress strength
Quote:
"pringlin the wings"
I used it for the Squall modification lingo! lol
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:56 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_VTOL_mech View Post
Oh Gawd!!!
Did the phrase "pringlin the wings" ACTUALLY catch on?

LOL
Sssssssh. They'll never know we made it up Cory.
Yeah! pringle those wings!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:59 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
After reading that in one of your posts before, a 2' length of carbon rod got stuck along the rails from the afterburner ring up to the nose area then jb welded the ply to the carbon. How would you suggest fixing the fan hatch, I glassed in and out on this one and was gonna do some Morgan' style screw mortises out of shreds,bubs and epoxy 4 screws for the hatch. I'm thinking of glassing the total inside of the duct also for stress strength

I used it for the Squall modification lingo! lol
My duct is glassed in and out.

I've used different combinations of.
...A wood or carbon tounge in front
...magnets
...Tape..
..."Best Latch" latches.

GLM's plastic formed ones with screws adds too much drag (at the screw slots) for High speeds.( you should use them on yours)

Haven't decided on this one yet.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:17 AM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
i did pick one up, and trying to follow the reinforcement process. but i am not good at glassing nor expert building., but here goes,,, carbon fiber 3 rods in nose cone, 2 rods x'ed out. and now starting the glassing.,

knife, i saw in earlier posts you used a primer to cover airframe, if you would pass on the info, does it have to be a specific kind?
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,438 Posts
Don't rush into it too fast! Finish your tronics install first! Then I'd block sand the bottom carefully, vacuum off and fill the trenches with some balsa rite and sand again. Now one trick I picked up recently is after I get it fine sanded I'll brush on polycrylic, let dry and fine sand again(better the sub surface the better the final finish will be) then its ready to glass. The poly helps seal the pours so the poxy resin doesn't get so heavy on application. Various ways work for glassing but I like to use a piece of 1/64 ply or thin flexi plastic for a squeegee. I smooth the glass first by hand and dab here and there to secure it then working from the center out start adding resin and squeegeeing it along. Keep a paper tower with alcohol on hand for your fingers and you'll be fine. Keep your squeegee clean and be neat as possible it will go fast. The final squeeg leaves the weave showing with a dull surface! Thats what you want! Blot with a dry paper towel in constrained areas and check for bubbles after it starts to harden in 20min or so just push em down with a wet finger tip. I use Z-Poxie finishing resin and 1oz Rx cups with the increments on the sides for mixing. I have access to a multitude of polymers(S'glass,E'glass,carbon mat,mixed weaves etc) here in the area as there is a ton of boat and yacht business around for you guys that are in dire need.
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 29, 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: This is for epoxy glassing not polycrylic glassing
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:02 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
How's your build coming along guys?

Not much goin' on here so I though I'd post what's gotta be the best bargan in EDFs. The Mylar thrust Tube. "Never leave home with out it"
every jet that comes along gets one whether or not the kit came with one.
They're cheap, easy, light, and customizable. It's easy to make very acuuarte ones with the free app, Cone Layout. http://www.pulserate.com/
The pic of the flat pattern is pretty boring, but for a speedy jet, it's all about the efflux.
I usually paint mine up with an afterburner effect, without the lights. Tamyia for Polycarbonate rattle can paint is great for this, as it's flexible, and won't flake off if you bend it. The one in the pic is from an old F-16 (RIP)
I'll do a better job on the tailcone feathers this time.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:49 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,438 Posts
You mentioned latches for the duct. I was thinking a glassed fillet on the tunnel and counter sunk screws. Or how about a saw tooth style. Be nice to get someone to laser some g10
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:42 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
You mentioned latches for the duct. I was thinking a glassed fillet on the tunnel and counter sunk screws. Or how about a saw tooth style. Be nice to get someone to laser some g10
Yeah, theres a new idea. I think I'm gonna take the lazy route again, and just go with magnets.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:29 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Here is the white painted Thrust Tube temporarily installed, along with the still clear, Tail Cone.
I forgot to paint the "afterburner" colors on the outside first, so it has a high gloss for reflection on the inside. Oh well, to late. I'm not making another. I'll paint the inside instead. It's a race, not a beauty contest.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:12 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Thrust Tube painted, and ready to install on the EDF assy. Rattle can paint fogging comes out grainy, but it's fine for me, here.
None of the exterior will be seen when it's installed in the jet. I coated the interior of the black fogging with flat clear so it doesn't wipe off.
Added the now painted Tail Cone. I think I'll leave of the adjustable "Feathers".
Last edited by One Six Right; Jan 31, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Here's the ESC/EDF/Thrust Tube assy. It goes in and out of the jet like this. The ESC can be unplugged from the EDF. (some folks solder the wires, but I prefer the ease maintenance this way.
The EDF and tailcone are shown temporarily installed.
I decided against the intake liner. Just gonna glass the intake area and make some removable ESC fairings, for ease of removal.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 12:00 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,998 Posts
looks killer gary!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut