HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2010, 10:59 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Careful!
Firmware 3.0 screwed the data logger on my ICE 50

When version 3.0 of the Phoenix firmware was released as final, I decided to give it a try. I had two flights with my 450 indoors at 23C (73F) ambient temperature using identical 3S 2200mAh batteries. The flights involved only 1m high hovering as I didn't want to put my heli to too much risk. These are the results:

Session1: Outrunner mode, low timing, fixed end points. The ESC temperature was 48C (118F) with 2.16 and 68 Celsius (154F) with 3.0. The recorded motor RPM was about 200 less on 3.0 and both the ESC and motor were hotter to the touch than on 2.16. The heli felt underpowered. The data recorded seems consistent to my findings.

Session2: As Clint Akins of Castle Creations and others suggested, I tried 8KHz instead of Outrunner. The results were even worse: the ESC got so hot I couldn't touch it. The motor felt way more powerful than on 2.16 outrunner and 3.0 outrunner. But as you can see on the graph, the data recorded doesn't make any sense: negative ESC temperatures, voltages over 20V on a 3S battery??? and so on. This graph was the last one I have been able to download since then

Now the data logger on my ICE 50 wouldn't work anymore with any of the firmware versions I tried (2.16, 3.0, 3.11). When I try to download the data I'm getting this error in Castle Link ''error trying to parse the Logged Data''. Needless to say, the data logger was the main reason I chose the ICE over other ESC's so it's time for me to call Castle.

The motor and ESC temperatures are back to normal after I switched back to 2.16 and everything seems to work as before the update to 3.0. But no data logger any more. Version 3.0 also almost burnt my ESC
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Last edited by 3Dmuse; Jan 01, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:09 PM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
I had castle link V3.22 and upgraded to V3.23 when it came out. I then proceeded to view my graph data from a flight earlier that day. The data was totally off, like you said. The voltages were way too low, and head speed, current draw were way to high to be realistic. I then re-installed 3.22 and went back to view the data. This fixed the issue and data came out fine.

Part of the last ICE firmware update added data compression to the logging, so maybe there is a glitch where it is not reading the old data right. Tomorrow I'll test out the new FW logging and hopefully it comes out ok.
wolfdown is offline Find More Posts by wolfdown
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdown View Post
I had castle link V3.22 and upgraded to V3.23 when it came out. I then proceeded to view my graph data from a flight earlier that day. The data was totally off, like you said. The voltages were way too low, and head speed, current draw were way to high to be realistic. I then re-installed 3.22 and went back to view the data. This fixed the issue and data came out fine.
Downgrading Castle Link to 3.22 and the firmware to 2.16 fixed the data logging problems.

Quote:
Part of the last ICE firmware update added data compression to the logging, so maybe there is a glitch where it is not reading the old data right. Tomorrow I'll test out the new FW logging and hopefully it comes out ok.
The problem is I couldn't even download the data logged with FW 3.0 or 3.11 when using Castle Link 3.23. Well, this is not entirely accurate as I could download the logged data twice, but the second time it did not make any sense - see above graph, then I couldn't download any data anymore.

On top of this incompatibility between Castle Link 3.23 and FW 3.XX, there is a bigger problem: FW 3.XX made my ICE to run really hot. So I just went back to FW 2.16, which is has been working fine for me.

I'm saying this again, FW 3.0 was released as final version, not beta, and still caused problems to many people already. I really would prefer that Castle takes their time to test the software properly before releasing it as final. The ICE's are good controllers, but their software is most of the times problematic.
Last edited by 3Dmuse; Jan 02, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:04 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdown View Post

When you update the firmware you must clear the data logger to be able to get usable data. I always clear my data and default my ESCs when doing a firmware update just to make sure there is nothing buggy. Thanks
Clintstone is online now Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:48 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
When you update the firmware you must clear the data logger to be able to get usable data. I always clear my data and default my ESCs when doing a firmware update just to make sure there is nothing buggy. Thanks
If this was known to cause problems, why was it not documented on Castle's website? Anyway, clearing the logger did not help with firmware 3.0 or 3.11 in my case.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:09 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
If this was known to cause problems, why was it not documented on Castle's website? Anyway, clearing the logger did not help with firmware 3.0 or 3.11 in my case.
Barzaun, not sure what your specific problem is...the only problem that we found over the Holidays was the files were not saving correctly. If you are having issues with 3.0 viewing files you have another issue...Have you contacted tech support through email or by phone?
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
Barzaun, not sure what your specific problem is...the only problem that we found over the Holidays was the files were not saving correctly. If you are having issues with 3.0 viewing files you have another issue...Have you contacted tech support through email or by phone?
The data logged with firmware 3.0 was gibberish. I could download it twice and then I kept getting this error in Castle Link: ''error when trying to parse the Logged Data''. Only going back to Castle Link 3.22 and firmware 2.16 solved this problem. As for the temperature issues on 2.16, I replied to you in another thread.

Thanks for looking into this. I will also contact the tech support.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:39 PM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Updating my previous post. I had problems getting the data out w/ 3.11 on my first flight. After that, I cleared the data log. I flew 4 more flights. The log was completely full after this (@5hz rate). I went back and everything looked OK for all flights (only had enough space for 2.5 of them). That was Saturday ... I did two more flights this morning at 2hz log rate. If I notice any more issues, I'll post them back here.
wolfdown is offline Find More Posts by wolfdown
Last edited by wolfdown; Jan 04, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: improved clarity
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:16 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
When version 3.0 of the Phoenix firmware was released as final, I decided to give it a try. I had two flights with my 450 indoors at 23C (73F) ambient temperature using identical 3S 2200mAh batteries. The flights involved only 1m high hovering as I didn't want to put my heli to too much risk. These are the results:

Session1: Outrunner mode, low timing, fixed end points. The ESC temperature was 48C (118F) with 2.16 and 68 Celsius (154F) with 3.0. The recorded motor RPM was about 200 less on 3.0 and both the ESC and motor were hotter to the touch than on 2.16. The heli felt underpowered. The data recorded seems consistent to my findings.

Session2: As Clint Akins of Castle Creations and others suggested, I tried 8KHz instead of Outrunner. The results were even worse: the ESC got so hot I couldn't touch it. The motor felt way more powerful than on 2.16 outrunner and 3.0 outrunner. But as you can see on the graph, the data recorded doesn't make any sense: negative ESC temperatures, voltages over 20V on a 3S battery??? and so on. This graph was the last one I have been able to download since then

Now the data logger on my ICE 50 wouldn't work anymore with any of the firmware versions I tried (2.16, 3.0, 3.11). When I try to download the data I'm getting this error in Castle Link ''error trying to parse the Logged Data''. Needless to say, the data logger was the main reason I chose the ICE over other ESC's so it's time for me to call Castle.

The motor and ESC temperatures are back to normal after I switched back to 2.16 and everything seems to work as before the update to 3.0. But no data logger any more. Version 3.0 also almost burnt my ESC
There will be an update for 3.11 soon that will fix the logging.