HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2010, 02:54 AM
Victoria, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
158 Posts
Discussion
eLogger V3 + GPS v3 + OSD Pro problem

Hello Bill,

Here's an interesting one for you. I have the eLogger V3, the GPS Expander v3, and the OSD Pro hooked together. When this system is powered by the computer via USB, everything works fine. When the system is powered by battery (through the eLogger's input), however, the video image from the OSD Pro becomes unstable (it flickers as if power cycling over and over) and all OSD graphics disappear.

Unplugging the GPS from the system "solves" the power problem. I carefully inspected the GPS and it looks like the little pen-cell battery has failed: there's corrosion (a.k.a. "the fuzz") all over the terminals. The GPS receiver itself does work -- because I can get a fix with it -- but it takes a very long time... which leads me to suspect that the battery backup unit is dead and the receiver is doing a cold start every time.

I'm pretty sure the GPS has to "come home" for an RMA...

Cheers,

Victor
ragamofyn is offline Find More Posts by ragamofyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 04:19 PM
Russian Federation, Kirovskaya oblast, Kirov
Joined Oct 2007
20 Posts
I think this is Power issue described in documentation. What battery Your use?
SGordon is offline Find More Posts by SGordon
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:21 PM
Victoria, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
158 Posts
I've tried a 3s1p 500mAh battery and a 3s1p 2200mAh battery. Same results. Both battery packs are fully charged. Which documentation are you referring to? (i.e. OSD Pro, GPS, or eLogger V3 manual?)

Thanks!

Victor
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Victor,

Sorry to hear about the issues. Yes, this is definitely the issue described in the manuals (all of them) but we need to do a better job of calling it out. The on-board eLogger regulator can't power all 3 devices. If you connect your OSD Pro to your Rx, the problem will be eliminated. Alternatively, you can use our battery backup harness (or your own equivalent):
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Supp...teryBackup.pdf

Re the fuzz on the battery, that sounds like the battery may have failed, but it may also be a byproduct of the assembly (assuming it was always there). A quick check would be to leave the GPS disconnected for an hour or so after having it plugged in for a few minutes, and using a voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery. Or, we can certainly do that here via RMA.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:21 PM
Victoria, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
158 Posts
Afternoon Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts re: the GPS battery issue. I did something along the lines of what you suggested, but in a less "invasive" manner (as I didn't want to remove the shrinkwrap from the device -- does that void the warranty?).

I connected the GPS (with a suitable power source), got a fix, and left the unit running for over an hour to charge the backup battery. I then removed the power source, left the unit unpowered for about thirty seconds, and then reconnected the power. I then measured the amount of time it took for the GPS to regain its fix. It took over 2 minutes -- which suggests to me that it performed a cold start.

My conclusion here is that the battery is inoperative as otherwise it would have performed a hot or warm start and regained its fix much sooner. I was careful to perform this test with a clear view of the sky to ensure that the GPS could obtain a fix as quickly as possible.

Anyway, long story short, I'll submit an RMA ticket via the support tracker.

And thanks, Bill, for the clarification re: the power supply issue. I'll connect up 5V+ via an RX/BEC to the USB port to power all my "joy".

Cheers,

Victor
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
53 Posts
Need Help!

Because I think my OSD have the similar problem, it is better I post my posting here.

My Eagletree system flickers on and off (both video and text) but it doesn't "reboot" by showing the start up screen. It look like something is interrupting the system. I'm using elogger V3, Altimeter and OSD (standard)

When I connect the camera directly to my video Tx, it become stable and very clear. Do you think it is the power problem too?

Shawn
sf51177 is offline Find More Posts by sf51177
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Shawn,

That sounds like a power problem to me. Do you have any of the OSD Pro's servo connectors connected to your receiver?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:02 AM
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
Hi billpa, when i connect the GPS expander to V3 elogger the OSD information vanishes. the video pic stays there but the parameters no longer get dispalyed. I am using OSD pro and V3 elogger and GPS expander of eagletree. please suggest what should i do?
ravinewdelhi is offline Find More Posts by ravinewdelhi
Old May 06, 2010, 02:43 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, this sounds like you may not be using the battery backup harness, or connecting one of the OSD Pro's servo leads to your receiver? One or both of these is necessary since you are using the GPS, because the eLogger's regulator can't power all the devices.
Site Sponsor