SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:23 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
New Product
R/C Vector kites by Premier Designs

I thought I would show some pictures of the new R/C vector kites by Premier Designs. Their web site with videos is here: http://www.premierrc.com/index.shtml
I have always been big into kites and R/C so it's a perfect combination for some fun park flying. I just received the Pyramid Racer model and will be flying tomorrow. The RTF model comes with everything you need to get in the air quickly. A 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver, 3 cell lipo (1050 mah) and charger, Vector power unit with brushless motor, 2 metal gear servos and speed control. They are also available without radio and receiver.
The Vector control unit comes with everything installed and ready to go. Very well constructed of carbon rods and looks very very durable. The brushless motor gimbal is nicely machined and works smoothly. The sail is well done of rip stop nylon all double hemmed and carbon rods typical of Premier kite quality.
Control in the air is by vectored thrust of the motor, up, down, left, right and all combinations.
Will post some flying pictures tomorrow.

STRINGFLY <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Video

A nice video here:

Premier RC Pyramid Racer - Freestyle Flight (1 min 45 sec)

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Jan 01, 2010, 10:33 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
What the max wind speed it will fly in?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
wind

On the Pyramid mfg says up to 12 mph. On the Canard 10 mph.

Well, first flights went ok. You do have to get used to using power to really get good response from it. Mine seems a bit nose heavy even with a good amount of power on. Will play around with the battery and C/G some. Some flight pictures. it was COLD !!!!!

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:02 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Did you buy the complete package?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Yes, I did. But you can just get the one without transmitter and receiver and use yours.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:29 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Any updates on this - have you spent any more time with it? Looks very interesting.

How is the flight time with the 1050 battery? Sounds like it needs the throttle to fly so not like a sailplane as I expected.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
magic bill
SE USA Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
351 Posts
Canard

I have been a long time kite flyer (ie. stunts, foils, quad, etc.) and the Premier Vector product line intrigued me. The combo of kite flying and RC fit my hobby life.

I purchased the "canard" ARF version and it arrived yesterday. I echo stringfly. The quality of the power unit appears very durable. Carbon tubes, machining on the gimbal appears first rate. Typical Premier quality on the sail, rip stop nylon, carbon fiber rods.

I put the sail together last night in about 10 minutes. Should be a 2-3 minute build with experience. I added my Spektrum 6100 and will fly with a 2.4 Specktrum 6xi. Charged the battery. Both included in the ARF. Set controls, and powered 'er up. The brushless motor had plenty of power. The claim 10 minute flight time on the 1100 3c battery.

I will maiden today, if wind is not to brisk. It is rated at less than 10 mph. I'll report on findings.

I am preparing for SEFF and plan to fly it, something different.
Enjoy your flying. cheaha bill
wjkrysak is offline Find More Posts by wjkrysak
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Cannard

The Cannard flys great. Much better I think than the Pyramid Racer. The Racer often just had a mind of its own. Solid control was about 50% of the time. It's glide was poor to say the least. I traded it for the Cannard and it does fly very nice. Have flown it in light wind and it did fine. I would not fly it though in anything over about 8mph. You could, but the fun factor would go way down. Very pleased with the Cannard. Planning to put the vectored power unit on some other kites I have. Like Carsten's airplane kite.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
magic bill
SE USA Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
351 Posts
Maiden flight tonight! This will be a fun flyer. Working on the COB. 2 flights, 10 minutes each. Looks great in the sky. Quick turns with up elevator prior to turn. cheaha bill
wjkrysak is offline Find More Posts by wjkrysak
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
Flying I.F.O.
Denmark, Graested
Joined Feb 2008
31 Posts
I am building a pyramid racer my self. I prefer building rather than purchasing - it is more fun

I call it my "Hot Rod" due to the flames
I was hoping that anyone could help me with the dimensions of the thrust vector unit. I need the length and positions of the carbon fiber rods to finish the project.

The choosen motor setup should have plenty of power to lift it and more...

Lars_Denmark is offline Find More Posts by Lars_Denmark
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Will take some pictures tonight of mine with measurements.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
power unit

Some shots of the power unit. The long upright is 27 inches, the bottom piece is 10 inches wide. (you will have to do the metric conversion).

Stringfly <>++++
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:51 AM
Flying I.F.O.
Denmark, Graested
Joined Feb 2008
31 Posts
Thank you very very much.
I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year
Lars_Denmark is offline Find More Posts by Lars_Denmark
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:58 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
Hi Lars,

I attach a picture showing the keel-rod lining of Your ready-to-fly Pyramid, after Your vector unit is mounted. It is important, that the keel-rod has a slight curving (see yellow line) to reach the necessary angle of incedence.

And, as well important: If You have reached that curve (after the vector unit is mounted), there should'nt be wrinkles, to avoid disturbing fluttering of the sails.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann