HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:07 PM
G=667x10^-8 cm^-3 gm^-1 sec^-2
Joined Nov 2009
83 Posts
Discussion
"Worlds Lightest LiPo Batteries"

This site I found not geared towards r/c, but to batteries and related accessories claims quite a few interesting items, worlds smallest, and lightest lipos, and I thought that it was a worthy enough resource to share.
http://www.powerstream.com/
They seem to want to cater to wholesale buyers of larger quantities, but they sell most things individually. Start with "batteries and packs", and look around at what they have. Its very interesting.
dissymmetry is offline Find More Posts by dissymmetry
Last edited by dissymmetry; Dec 31, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:11 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,177 Posts
All the batteries I looked at (3) have a max discharge rate of .2C. Not much use as primary power for electric planes.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:57 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,639 Posts
0.2C ???

dissymmetry's post was specifically about the "World's lightest" category

The ultra light weight 0.33-1.6g specs say:

These are great cells. They are designed for low current discharge, but the above curve shows what they do at high current discharge rates, up to 8C.

Note the following features:
  • At 80 mA (about 8C) you still get 78% of the rated capacity, terminating at 3 volts
I think the tiny-plane guys might well be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
All the batteries I looked at (3) have a max discharge rate of .2C. Not much use as primary power for electric planes.

Glen
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 01, 2010, 09:24 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
The 10mah cell has some potential for sure. It looks like they left the foil outer support casing off to get the reduced weight of 0.33 grams.
Plantraco sells the 10mah cells with the foil backing support at 0.56 grams. A 20c discharge rating too.
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Bare-Cells
But when you go ultra light or ultra small then every gram or fraction of a gram becomes significant.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jan 01, 2010, 10:37 AM
Boston,MA
Joined Oct 2007
5 Posts
With any luck size will become the elec. RCers only problem, not the weight. 20 min. flight times wouldn't be to hard to swallow
murph111 is offline Find More Posts by murph111
Old Jan 01, 2010, 04:04 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,639 Posts
In Engineering terms that's a 41% reduction in weight for no change in performance.

Pretty spectacular if it had happened to a "normal" flight battery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
The 10mah cell has some potential for sure. It looks like they left the foil outer support casing off to get the reduced weight of 0.33 grams.
Plantraco sells the 10mah cells with the foil backing support at 0.56 grams. A 20c discharge rating too.
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Bare-Cells
But when you go ultra light or ultra small then every gram or fraction of a gram becomes significant.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:25 AM
G=667x10^-8 cm^-3 gm^-1 sec^-2
Joined Nov 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
0.2C ???

dissymmetry's post was specifically about the "World's lightest" category

The ultra light weight 0.33-1.6g specs say:

These are great cells. They are designed for low current discharge, but the above curve shows what they do at high current discharge rates, up to 8C.

Note the following features:
  • At 80 mA (about 8C) you still get 78% of the rated capacity, terminating at 3 volts
I think the tiny-plane guys might well be interested.
Thats what I was thinking, or possibly higher performance in micro heli's, allbeit with much shorter flights. But that claim I thought deserved scrutiny, and that whole site was educational for me.
But you know what I liked most, and am going to buy a couple of, is the lipo 9v "transistor" batteries they have. They say that they have 10 times the life, and last a long time. Good for the smoke detector.
Id sure like to build a super micro planataco 4 channel heli, something smaller than a picco-z, I love what they have, they are a little pricey, is all, but now that I have the idea, I'll have to consider that concept.
dissymmetry is offline Find More Posts by dissymmetry
Last edited by dissymmetry; Jan 06, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:27 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,639 Posts
Interesting find. At smoke detector currents these guys will probably outlive me!

Note however the licence with specs. On the Transistor battery page it's "9V nominal" on the Lithium Thional page the same product is "10.8V nominal". They are actually 3x 3.6 Lithium cells as you would expect. From the discharge curves they seem to be a bit above 9V at low currents.Still 1.2Ah capacity from one of these at 9V is pretty impressive when you think our original SubC NiCds were only that capacity at 1.2V and twice the size and weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissymmetry View Post
But you know what I liked most, and am going to buy a couple of, is the lipo 9v "transistor" batteries they have. They say that they have 10 times the life, and last a long time. Good for the smoke detector.
Id sure like to build a super micro planataco 4 channel heli, something smaller than a picco-z, I love what they have, they are a little pricey, is all, but now that I have the idea, I'll have to consider that concept.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:27 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
I have been most impressed with the Plantraco planes I have, they can usually go 10 to 15 minutes off a 20mah single cell.
throttle and rudder, nothing fancy. But I have had them flying in a slow circle hands off for quite a few laps too. This is the little F4U or the Zero and even the tiny 1/72 scale Spitfire flies amazingly well for being so tiny.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2009
499 Posts
from what I saw by far, the light cells (or say high energy density cells) are all low C rated ones.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya