HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Discussion
What will be on my board for 2010???

Hi Guys;
Well finally able to get back to building...or at least thinkin about it!!!
What I have in mind is either a half scale "XP-3" or an "RC-1". They are very similar airplanes that my dad designed back in the 1930's - 40's. They are both twin boom pushers and had a Brown Jr. for power. I plan to scale the "XP-3" or "RC-1" down from 120" span to roughly 60" wing span. I'll probably use a shaft drive with support bearings from the front of the pod (fuselage) and locate the batteries just ahead of the motor, and building the booms, tail & rudder(s) with light weight balsa just to try to get CG in the ball park....All comments welcome!
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:45 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
156 Posts
Greetings and Happy New Year.
Is strange today as i was up in my model loft I was looking at some designs from the 1930s and 40s and right on the top rack in a tube was the XP3 I have been thinking for a long time now it is time to build this Classic .

Your father was one great designer.

The ideas you have suggested fo make it 1/2 size sounds quite interesting and a lot of people could do this in electric.

This is just one old mans opinion but sure sounds good.
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:32 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Hi Jon,

Yea! Please do a build thread!

Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:30 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Will Post XP-3 Photo's

Hi Guys:
I have some photographs of the XP-3 - taken on the ice at Packanack lake, NJ. During in the winter of 1941-42.
I will post it as soon as I locate it.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw,
PS. I have no photos of the RC-1, I have only ever seen a sketched magazine advertisement from "Radio Control Specialties"
Last edited by JonB; Jan 01, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:24 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
XP-3 Photograph Scans from 1941-42

Hi Guys:
I Finally found the photos of my dads designed XP-3, taken on the ice at Packanack lake, NJ during winter of 1941-42. The gents on the ice are (on left)- Fred Geng, on the right is Ed Miller - Still an active modeller here in NJ. USA.
The last but blurred photo of the XP-3 on takeoff - location un-known. Note: Upon speaking with Leon Schulman, he cautioned me regarding the hand launching of the XP-3. He let me know that he had the unfortunate experience of hand launching this 10 foot free-flight airplane - "the pusher propeller left neatly sliced gashes up his fore - arm!" - no permanent damage though - other than to not do it again!
All comments welcome
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:55 AM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
What will be on my board for 2010???

Hi Guys;
Well finally able to get back to building...or at least thinkin about it!!!
What I have in mind is either a half scale "XP-3" or an "RC-1". They are very similar airplanes that my dad designed back in the 1930's - 40's. They are both twin boom pushers and had a Brown Jr. for power. I plan to scale the "XP-3" or "RC-1" down from 120" span to roughly 60" wing span. I'll probably use a shaft drive with support bearings from the front of the pod (fuselage) and locate the batteries just ahead of the motor, and building the booms, tail & rudder(s) with light weight balsa just to try to get CG in the ball park....All comments welcome!
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ
Last edited by JonB; Jan 03, 2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: FUBARED THE MOVE OF MESSAGE
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:57 AM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Whats on my board for 2010??

Greetings and Happy New Year.
Is strange today as i was up in my model loft I was looking at some designs from the 1930s and 40s and right on the top rack in a tube was the XP3 I have been thinking for a long time now it is time to build this Classic .

Your father was one great designer.

The ideas you have suggested fo make it 1/2 size sounds quite interesting and a lot of people could do this in electric.

This is just one old mans opinion but sure sounds good.
northernlightsfl is offline Send a private message to northernlightsfl Find More Posts by northernlightsfl Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:04 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Oops..
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:15 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Sorry guys...

SORRY:
I tried to move this subject thread into "Whats on your Board for 2010" - to get more traffic...but I was unsuccessful - thus the "OOPs" Post and a couple repeated post blocks...Sorry - Jon B. If anyone can help me out with this "Moderator"? I would really appreciate it.
Jon B
Old Jan 07, 2010, 01:22 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
Hi Guys:
I Finally found the photos of my dads designed XP-3, taken on the ice at Packanack lake, NJ during winter of 1941-42. The gents on the ice are (on left)- Fred Geng, on the right is Ed Miller - Still an active modeller here in NJ. USA.
The last but blurred photo of the XP-3 on takeoff - location un-known. Note: Upon speaking with Leon Schulman, he cautioned me regarding the hand launching of the XP-3. He let me know that he had the unfortunate experience of hand launching this 10 foot free-flight airplane - "the pusher propeller left neatly sliced gashes up his fore - arm!" - no permanent damage though - other than to not do it again!
All comments welcome

Very nice. I can't keep all of the versions straight but I think this one is an antique
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:30 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,516 Posts
Shereshaw designs

This has piqued my curiosity. I really like the way my Shereshaw Nimbus flies.

But I'm really not sure what model this is.

In the Zaic 37 Yearbook, this is the XP-3. Note the gull wing and longer nose. I remember hearing Dave Baker say he built a long nose after telling someone it was incorrect only to be corrected by Ben himself who affirmed that there was such a version. This model is listed with a 1413 square inch wing and a span of 114 and 120.

The XP-2 shown has twin fins but the same fuselage. @#%&*$!

The RC-1 is listed as a 1940 design. Now, how many fins and what shape are the wing tips????
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:16 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Confusion....XP-2 / XP-3 goes on ...72 years later!

Dear Ryan NX211:
Well, you raise some valid questions! All I can say is that the aircraft shown on the ice has always been called the "XP-3" by my dad - now sadly deceased. As for the attachements the "XP-2" etc. look as though they are from an earlier era. Additionally, the only person still with us - who might shed some clarity on this - is Ed Miller, here in New Jersey. I don't have his contact info handy - but I will gladly - do some digging for it.
Someone, or yourself has refered to this aiplane as the "Woman - Chaser" I believe this was the XP-3. That unusual moniker for this airplane was coined by the "Detroit News" who took a great photograph of the "XP-3" just after liftoff but apparently wind getting under one wing and disturbing an otherwise nice takeoff. - The photo depicts the XP-3 heading for a heavyset lady wearing a "polka dot dress" and "pith helmut" (Normal regailia of the day for moms who accompanied their sons to the 1938 Detroit Nationals). She was running to avoid an inevitable poke in the hind quarters by the "Bulbous" nose of the "XP-3". I have lost possession of all copies of this photo, but I would be grateful for a good copy. This is the information as I recall it being told to me by my father.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,516 Posts
Jon:

I just noticed something else in your photo. The nosewheel is off the ice and the rear appears to be resting on two sub rudders. Perhaps, this plane with the bulbous cockpit is actually a modified XP-2 with a single vertical fin.

Would be interesting if the design is pre-39 because it could be flown in Texaco
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:07 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Something else......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Jon:

I just noticed something else in your photo. The nosewheel is off the ice and the rear appears to be resting on two sub rudders. Perhaps, this plane with the bulbous cockpit is actually a modified XP-2 with a single vertical fin.

Would be interesting if the design is pre-39 because it could be flown in Texaco
Ryan NX211:
As far as I know, the nose wheel - not in contact with the ground, was intentional. The airplane had a tendency to be "Tail heavy" the addition of the nose wheel and associated structure was an attempt to get the C.G. a little more forward, as well as protecting the fuselage from nose over landings..
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
NJ. USA
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
RC-1 Plans

Hi Guys,

I would like to make the RC-1 my next vintage build. Looks like it is very similar to the XP-3 except for the double fin and slightly different cabin. The RC-1 looks like a better choice for RC conversion with that double fin. I'm guessing the stab and wing are the same.

Dan Walton has offered to make a laser cutting if we can find the plans. He has a set for the XP-3, but we can't find the RC-1 anywhere other than AMA. Does anyone have a line on the plans?

Any ideas?

Thanks! Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B