Closed Thread
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataub View Post
I'm interested in putting a video camera in my EZ*. Is the FlyCamOne a good place to start? It looks small-ish comapred to strapping a digital camera to the airframe but...hey... what do I know? What do you old hands think?

All comments gratefully received and digested.

Steve.
fco is kinda expensive... i'd stat with something like this: keychain camcorder
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
I'm interested in putting a video camera in my EZ*. Is the FlyCamOne a good place to start? It looks small-ish comapred to strapping a digital camera to the airframe but...hey... what do I know? What do you old hands think?

Steve.
Yep. Those keychain/fob cams are the flavor of the week. Cheap, light, and give good quality video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post14593002
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
Camera Pods

I now have 3 camera pods:

- CX-161 Color (Everyday Camera)
- CX-161 B&W (Night Camera)
- Sony Webbie HD (AP Camera)

All three feed video to a Video Transmitter for FPV flight.

I also recently installed a FMA Co-Pilot. It should help when doing teaching newbie FPV pilots, ease night flying & provide a stable platform for AP.

I'm constructing a mechanism that'll trigger the HD camera to take a picture or record video in lieu of the Pan function.

The color cam is on a standard EZ* canopy. The other two pods are made of EPP.

I'm hoping this will be my summer flyer. We're going all over the continent and the US. Hopefully I'll get some decent HD footage/pics.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
Putting FPV to Business
Joined Jul 2009
573 Posts
Quote:

Steve.
I strongly recommend the AIPtek A+ HD, it is cheap, about $60 to $100 on ebay and has great HD possibilities. Then go FPV man, you don't know what you are loosing.

For FPV the items are a bit more, but with the AIPTEK cam you have one item to do not care about later.

Cheers,

Ernani
FPVExtremer is offline Find More Posts by FPVExtremer
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
If I yell "look out" I mean it
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Very nice mount. Some secondary restraint might be a good idea. Here is a mount I did for my Aiptek. I used bamboo skewers as the posts and run rubber bands under the fuse. The pointed ends of the skewers poke into the elapor side rails about 3/4". I put some clear pack tape under the fuse to keep the bands from digging in.

I have magnets on my canopy that I can also pick the plane up with, but a hard landing and the canopy will pop off.
Why is your elevator servo installed like that?
gpierson is offline Find More Posts by gpierson
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
536 Posts
Impaled my Easystar at the top of a tall Oak at the Park today, in trying to retrieve my brother flying it behind some trees. Darn, it was a good flyer.

Have been doing a lot of gliding with it recently and really understand why it needs the Rudder mod for that, so the next one will get that Mod...any links to the Rudder Mod?

Thanks
Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:

Steve.
Steve,

The "keychain Cam" that Flypopa referred to is a good one. Cheap, light, and takes nice pics. Also, the Aiptek SD 1.3 pencam is ok (the one in post #3477). I have both. I started with the Aiptek. It's bigger and bulkier, but for about $15, it's a cheap way to start getting aerial video. If either camera is crashed, it's no big deal. With FlyCamOne, you crash a $100 camera. With these 2 that I mentioned, you lose $15 or $20. (I'm not criticizing the Flycam, just recommending that you start with an inexpensive cam)

Just beware, this is the path to the FPV addiction!!

You have been warned!!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:46 PM
Don't fly over your head!!!
United States, AZ, Fountain Hills
Joined Apr 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierson View Post
Why is your elevator servo installed like that?
Yeah, that did look a little funny. The servo sticks out a little far and it's not the straightest shot to the control rod, but I guess the servo control arm can be removed without poking a hole in the foam.

Mike
LostPlanetAirman is offline Find More Posts by LostPlanetAirman
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:15 AM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
...I've also seen a ROGIPCWTTTO, which is "Rolling On Ground Into Parked Car While Trying To Take Off." But I won't say where I saw it or who did it.

Bob
I can assure you that my EasyStar was a couple of inches off the ground at that point, and was not still ROG-ing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
If you've flown with Kevin (and I know you have) you could never think of your cockpit as being messy again!!!
I've been away too long!

Ha ha ha!

Good one.

It's like Alfred E. Newman used to say... "What, me worry about messy cockpit wiring?"

Stay Well,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Mar 15, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:16 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
fco is kinda expensive... i'd stat with something like this: keychain camcorder
I just ordered one to go with my collection. It seems I have a camera addiction also.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:15 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,303 Posts
this is going to be a bit off topic, but I'm testing servos for some home made spoilers. thase are going to be dedicated spoilers mounted just behined the high part of the wing, not spoilerons. I needed some cheap, very thin servos to operate the spoilers and chose the e-flte s60 servos. these are rated at .10 sec at 60 degrees. After testing fitting the servos, I feel I may need a little more throw on the servo arms. If I increase the EPA in my radio to achieve more throw beyond 60 degrees, Will I risk burning out a servo?
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:51 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
You shouldn't burn out the servo just by increasing end point as long as the servo doesn't stall trying to get there.

Maximizing epa across all functions and then setting the throws mechanically actually brings the best resolution from whatever servos you're using. The editor of Aviation Modeller International (Steve Dorling) commonly advocates just such behaviour.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:39 AM
UK south
Joined Dec 2007
183 Posts
Video...

Thank you Bob, Ernani, Flypopa and Sonicj for your helpful suggestions. I will have a look at all these.

I have so many addictions already that one more can't hurt...?

Steve.
mataub is offline Find More Posts by mataub
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:48 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Bob, Ernani, Flypopa and Sonicj for your helpful suggestions. I will have a look at all these.

I have so many addictions already that one more can't hurt...?

Steve.
After a while, you just don't notice another one!! rehab, shmee-hab!!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Off-Topic, but ... for those of you who know BoomerAce from the SlowStick thread

Boomer is dying of cancer. Here is a link to some info for those of us who have gotten to know Boomer from the SS thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10464

RCGroups is about RC, and "sometimes MUCH more." It's also about making, keeping, and sometimes losing good friends.

Bob
Closed Thread