Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:34 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
lookin good just needs a dummy engine.
To go along with the dummy pilot!!! One of these days I'll be able to fly a plane without crashing it!!! I thought about making one!!!
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:46 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Looks good Alex! You did a good job on the plane! I've got a big compressor in the garage, so I don't have to use the cans of propellant. I'm using acrylic paint on the T-6. Unfortunatly I am allergic to it, so I use a respirator. I'm OK with it after it dries.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:27 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radialarm View Post
To go along with the dummy pilot!!! One of these days I'll be able to fly a plane without crashing it!!! I thought about making one!!!
I prefer to think of that as the loose nut on the stick.

I did a couple of pulls on the cowling. Just as I thought, I need to go to 40 mil styrene. Time to order more styrene. I also need to get larger sheets and frame plus use a riser - it webbed in one spot.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:31 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
turned out pretty good.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Good job for the first pull, Phil!!! I didn't get around to doing anything with my cowl yet!!! Now you're trying to make me look lazy!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
thanks guys. I'm not satisfied though I can see how to get there.

Radial - you'll be flying your Texan before me so I'm not sure who's looking lazy...

By the way, it looks like you could put a layer or two of fiberglass on the inside of the cowling to reinforce it. I've done that before and it works pretty well.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I'm about ready to start the mold. I found a scrap piece of that vinyl coated shelf board today to sink half the cowl in for a two piece mold. Since this is not a foam part I think I'll use polyester resin for the mold. It's taking me a while because I like to think out all the steps in advance before i get started.
I glued the Horizontal and vertical stabilizers on lastnight and got a light coat of silver on most of it today. I also painted the firewall and motor mount black.
I've been testing the motor and it's going to have plenty of power. T-6 burnin up the sky!!!

It's on the parting board!!!

Last edited by radialarm; Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I've got half of the mold glassed, when it sets a little more I'll trim it. Tomorrow I'll start on the other half.
Lastnight I started determining where in the fuselage everything will go, started sticking down the velcro. It's looking a little tail heavy. I might add a little extra glass cloth to the cowl so I can keep the battery in the batterybox.
I'll get some pics up when I get done painting.

Did some tests with everything in lastnight, and it's going to have a pretty good vertical climb a WOT.

Last edited by radialarm; Jan 15, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:21 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
You could play with battery position to balance it. I don't think glassing my E*Starter cowling added more than a few grams... The Texan cowling a bigger but I'd be surprised if it added that much weight. As I recall from the other thread, people were having CG problems until they moved the battery forward.

Keep us up to date on your cowling efforts.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:16 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
finally put my order in. good job on the cowl radialarm looks great!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:27 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
finally put my order in. good job on the cowl radialarm looks great!
Great news,Alex!
Don't give me too much credit, yet! The mold had way to many defects, so I started over. This time I think I've got most of the problems solved. I did turn out one cowl. Not great but it would work, I just wouldn't give it to anyone, much less sell it.

By the way you don't need high dollar carnuba wax for mild release. Plain old Turtle wax works great, with only one heavy coat.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
hey did it take a long time for them to process you order? What do you think should i give this set up a shot? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-%26/Detail
Last edited by Santoneski; Jan 18, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
headsup is pretty quick. You will get your shipment form them a LOT faster than HK.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
with shipping its 27 from heads up and from HK its 22 with shipping. I'm just not sure if this willing give me the power i need. I'm not looking for crazy speeds but not a slow flier.