SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:07 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
the e flite stick mount is available again EFLM1915. i bought a handfull just in case. they do in fact work for maintaining thrustline when the model was set up assuming gearbox would be used, they are tough too
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

this is the motor i use on my gws epo t6 with a 39" wingspan, fits great on the e flite stick mount
That motor should do nicely. I may break down and get the eflite mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
So I pulled out my texan and started fussing with it. Gotta get a bigmofo motor. I'm thinking a TP 2409-12T HK has it but Headsup is only 2 bucks more and it's USA shipping (arives quicker). With 3S lipos and a GSW 9050 it will produce 32 ounces of thrust. woowee... http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail I like headsup and throw him business when it makes sense. He really is an asset to the community.

I took off the cowling and man is it thin. I mean T H I N. Did I mention it's thin? So I did the water putty plug thing with it. Hopefully I can pull the original off with out damaging it - it's on way tight. Worst case, I cut it off and pull a new cowling. I should know tomorrow morning.

dang. I lied. It's an exceed T-34 Mentor. Don't know what i was thinking. It was another of those nitro black friday specials $66 for a receiver ready brushless package. http://www.nitroplanes.com/arf-t34-mentor.html

Santoneski, Khap Koon Mak Kap for that site. Dee Loi!
Is that cowl thin???

Where did you learn to speak Thai???

I lived there for about 3 years!!!

Hope you don't damage your cowl, but no biggy, now you got a pattern!!!
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:18 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I lived in Bangkok for a year when I was 17. Can you say great coming of age story? 'nuf said!

I got the cowl off the plug no problem but the plug doesn't look very good. Too many air pockets though it may pull ok. I think I made the water putty a bit too thick. I'll try patching up the worst ones. Little ones don't seem to cause a problem. Otherwise, I may try again.

By the way, did I mention that cowling is really thin?

Phil
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
I lived in Bangkok for a year when I was 17. Can you say great coming of age story? 'nuf said!

I got the cowl off the plug no problem but the plug doesn't look very good. Too many air pockets though it may pull ok. I think I made the water putty a bit too thick. I'll try patching up the worst ones. Little ones don't seem to cause a problem. Otherwise, I may try again.

By the way, did I mention that cowling is really thin?

Phil
Hey Philba, really curious how your cowl pull goes. I wonder if i made a plug of a gws p 40 cowl if you could pull it. there is a little more to it, not quite the simple shape of the t6 but maybe possible. let me know if you are interested, the gws p 40 cowls are out of stock everywhere and usually sell for 5. 95. you could make a little money off of them probably, and if your interested i'll make a plug and send it to you. let me know.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:54 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I'm still waiting on my stuff from HK! It's my fault I couldn't justify $25 EMS shipping on that small an order. I may make a fiberglass mold of my cowl this week.
I went to the LHS today(30 miles). He doesn't stock builder supplies just spare parts and RTFs. The guy is not too friendly. Kind of makes you feel like you're bothering him. I was trying to get some info from him about suppliers for my website and talk about flying, etc... I finally thanked him and left. I would think he could be a little more friendly and informative!!! Maybe he don't like clowns!!!
Last edited by radialarm; Jan 12, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:41 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
i hate people like that lol.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:12 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
@ryramz. If you make a plug, you are about 50% there. When you add in all the costs of shipping and materials, you are better off building a little vacuformer. It's ridiculously easy. any shop vac, upright or even canister vac will work. You can heat the plastic up in your oven. Look up Dr Crash - his user name here is drcrash and here's his web site/blog - http://www.vacuumformerplans.blogspot.com/ His design is far and away the simplest and it works really well.

The plug went ok. I added a thin layer of water putty to fill in all the holes and it's drying now. A good sanding and I'll be ready to give it a pull. I may need to get .04 styrene though (all I have is .03, a bit thin) though the AT-6 cowling was made with .02. I think it will come out ok but not insanely great.

If you don't want to get into vacuforming, you could make a fiberglass mold of your cowling. grease up the plug and then lay down 3 or 4 layers of 1.5 oz cloth. Finish it and then pull it off. I use waterbased polyurethane and it works ok. glassing is pretty easy.

Another approach that works is called lost foam - you make the cowling from foam (styro is good), glass it with a bunch of layers, completely finish it (paint an all) and then use a chemical to eat the foam away. MEK or acetone works really well.

@radial - you weren't slapping down $129 for a parkzone so he wanted no part of you. short sighted money grubber.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:32 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I guess you're right, phil! All I picked up was some solder on 2-56 x 1/16" wire couplers so i can use a better grade of clevis on the Texan, and a few props. I upgraded the wing bolt to a 10-32 nylon and added a 3/32" piece of plywood with a 10-32 blind nut. I saw in that thread where the wing bolt was pulling out the nut and a chunk of foam on their planes. I guess when mine goes it will either break the bolt or pull out a bigger chunk of foam. I picked up an airbrush today too. The silver paint didn't look too good brushed on. I've got a website. It's not much now, but I'm going to get it rolling this year. Check my profile for the link.

Robert.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:55 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
You'll love the airbrush. It makes a world of difference. I have almost zero airbrush skills and my stuff looks pretty good (to me anyway...).

My philosophy on wings is let 'em break free. Better to sacrifice a rubber band. Of course, you need to make sure the wing is going stay on in the air. damhikt
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:13 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
i just picked up an airbrush kit today also. its by Testors its a pretty decent newb airbrush. I just painted my guillows Hurricane today ill put up some pics tomorrow.

Alex
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:28 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Mine was a $25 paasche from Hobby lobby! I don't think it's the same Hobby Lobby R/C guys use. Here in Texas it's a craft store. Bunch of housewives buying silk flowers and junk!

I'll try and get some pics of the mods I'm doing to the Texan.

Robert
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I'm interested in seeing your guy's work.

It's funny, I've got a badger 350 (list $140, street 70-80), a harbor freight paasche clone ($15 on sale) and a single action HF "quick change" airbrush ($8 or ). I wind up using the cheapo single action HF brush the most because it's really easy to clean and does most jobs just fine.

Funny*2 - I like the HF paasche clone better than the badger. go figure.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:44 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Got my motor, ESC, and servos from HK, and my LiPos from ebay today. I had little trouble soldering on the bullet connectors. Two of the females had small holes all the way through. I just stuck a toothpick in and clipped the end off a little, and then the solder would stay in the cup. Decided to make a plywood motor mount. I just glued it to the stick so it will breakaway and not bend the motor shaft, if I'm lucky. I've still got to touchup the paint and paint the insignia. Then I'll start putting in the hardware. I also cut out the CA hinges on the rudder and elevator and put in real Dubro ones. The tail wheel needed some work too. It wasn't on the pivot point and was binding, so I cut some of the glue and set it correctly. I bent the piece of wire so the wheel tracks down the centerline of the plane. It's starting to take shape!!!
Last edited by radialarm; Jan 13, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
do you have to buy pushrods and control horns etc or are they included?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
do you have to buy pushrods and control horns etc or are they included?
No, all that is included. I did buy some Dubro brass threaded couplers so I could use better clevises though. The ones that come with it are weak. I already had some 2-56 GP clevises. The couplers are to adapt the 1/16" wire pushrods to 2-56 thread.

Check out the mock up!!!

Last edited by radialarm; Jan 13, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
lookin good just needs a dummy engine.