SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:48 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Heh heh, you like power in your planes.

By the way, I got the yellow one - I love that "prewar yellow" paint scheme. Now you guys are shaming me into building mine.

You think that thread is long? check out the blue baby thread. Or better yet, don't, it puts Tolstoy to shame.

By the way, these guanli planes crack me up. You will see ads for the "ME109 mustang". Somewhere the translation of WWII history into Chinese didn't go very well. Other "minor" errors abound.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
philba, I like to have a little something under the hood!!! I wish I had gotten the yellow one now. I decided to get the silver one because I already have a yellow Cub.
I'ld say they could use someone good at speaking english for sure. My favorite part of the manual was the part about "Fly in spacious ground without obstacles and boscage." I had to do a search to find out it's old german for trees and shrubs, or forest!!! The part about crowed people cracked me up too!!!
Quit fooling around and get your plane built!!!
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
Last edited by radialarm; Jan 11, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Yeah, gotta love that Chinglish. The Sky Artec Pitts manual says not to fly in cars. A number of manuals call the CG the Barycentric point (or some such). What dictionary are they using?

I have to make some space on my bench - it's got 2 repair jobs on it now and a new T28 has been begging me for attention.

By the way, I've finally gotten my vacuforming setup done so I'm going to try and make a mold (actually a plug) for the cowling so I can make one that doesn't break when you look at it sideways.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:50 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I want a T28 so bad I can taste it!!!

I have put some thought into vacuum forming. I figured you could make a plaster of paris plug with the cowl.

I was also thinking about making a fiberglass mold of mine before it gets damaged, so I can make a few spares and maybe a few bucks selling them!!!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I've heard the plaster of paris isn't strong enough. I used Water Putty instead. It is really strong. You can sand, drill, cut it pretty easily.

Vacuforming is surprisingly easy. I built loosely based on Dr Crash's design and it was surprisingly easy. If you make a mold (concave - you pull into it) for vacuforming be aware that it needs to be pretty clean as the plastic sheet will show every imperfection. A plug (convex - pull over it) is more forgiving in that flaws in the plug get smoothed out (they show more on the inside).

I made a plug from my E-Starter cowling using water putty and it came out really well on my first pull. The E-Starter cowling is amazingly flimsy. It must have been made with 0.02 thin styrene. While replacements are pretty cheap and available (gotta love GWS) the flimsiness is just not acceptable. I reinforced the original with 2 layers of fiberglass and it sort of survived a nose first crash with only minor damage. Had I not, it would have been toast.

When making a plug from a cowling or canopy, make sure you use a really good release agent. Don't ask how I know this...

Man, you've got the RC bug. My kind of guy!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:57 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
well if you guys decide to make some replacement parts i rather give you guys my money. Cause i defiantly will need a new cowl. I think im going to pick up the yellow one and get some RCAF decals.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
well if you guys decide to make some replacement parts i rather give you guys my money. Cause i defiantly will need a new cowl. I think im going to pick up the yellow one and get some RCAF decals.
Don't wait too long to order one. I was checking lastnight and the only ones with add to cart buttons were the AT-6s and the white corsair. I was thinking of doing mine up in Royal Thai Airforce insignia because the wife is from Thailand. I saw on wiki where we sold them 10 of them before WW2. I can't find a photo of one though!!!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
heres 20 different texan schemes on the right from Thailand

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/o/80/69
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:12 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Thanks, Santoneski, That was great!!!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
Np! thats an awesome reference site its got almost every plane and almost any scheme. since you got the silver one this may work in your favor looks like a majority of them are silver based
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:33 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Yeah, because I didn't want to add more weight to it with extra paint. Did you look at that thread philba linked? They are using a different motor than me, and getting good results. It's one of those bell motors. I don't care much for that design though. have you had a chonce to decide what motor your going to use? i'm still trying to decide between a 8"x6"e or a 9"x4.7"e prop. The 9x4.7 will give me a little less than 2:1 ratio thrust to weight.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
What kind of mount do they use? stick? I'm probably going to use a hobbyking motor not sure what kind tho. Im just starting to understand the concept for ARF kits. This will be my second plane next to my Super Cub and my first ARF. As for props i wouldn't mind trying to use a 3 blade to give it more scale.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Yes, they're using a stick mount. I saw something about using an eflite stick mount on another site. It's supposed to keep the prop on the same thrust line for planes that are intended for gearboxes.

I'm probably going to make a plywood mount and glue it to the firewall.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
the e flite stick mount is available again EFLM1915. i bought a handfull just in case. they do in fact work for maintaining thrustline when the model was set up assuming gearbox would be used, they are tough too
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

this is the motor i use on my gws epo t6 with a 39" wingspan, fits great on the e flite stick mount
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:58 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
So I pulled out my texan and started fussing with it. Gotta get a bigmofo motor. I'm thinking a TP 2409-12T HK has it but Headsup is only 2 bucks more and it's USA shipping (arives quicker). With 3S lipos and a GSW 9050 it will produce 32 ounces of thrust. woowee... http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail I like headsup and throw him business when it makes sense. He really is an asset to the community.

I took off the cowling and man is it thin. I mean T H I N. Did I mention it's thin? So I did the water putty plug thing with it. Hopefully I can pull the original off with out damaging it - it's on way tight. Worst case, I cut it off and pull a new cowling. I should know tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radialarm View Post
I want a T28 so bad I can taste it!!!
dang. I lied. It's an exceed T-34 Mentor. Don't know what i was thinking. It was another of those nitro black friday specials $66 for a receiver ready brushless package. http://www.nitroplanes.com/arf-t34-mentor.html

Santoneski, Khap Koon Mak Kap for that site. Dee Loi!