Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
Totally!!
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2009
1,065 Posts
sounds like you will be flying a realllllly fast texan.......
bolibruch1 is offline Find More Posts by bolibruch1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Hey, I just got the WM Texan. Haven't started the build yet; but, I did see the build thread and flight video. Looks pretty capable, if a bit low to the ground. Wing tip scuffing looks very possible. lol

I've been flying a 780g foam bipe using the 480Plus from HeadsUpRc, and I think I'll be going with that in the texan w/ a 10x7e APC.

Luck to all with your projects.

Steve
I think you're going to love that WM Texan. I just maidened mine last week. I have a GWS Texan that's about the same size but because this is a balsa plane I think was 3x as nervous. She flew great though! You're not going to lose her in the sky! However I did get pretty far out once and couldn't tell if it was up or down for a moment!

Here are some pics. Powered by a Turnigy SK 35-30 1400kv 9x6 APC. It's a zippy setup! You can also see the jealous EF P38 back there..

One note.. retracts were a pain but worth it.. changed out the stock tires with something a bit bigger, barely fit the wells but works.

It also tip stalled and I had to keep my speed up (typical warbird) but taking the rates down helped a lot.

As I stated earlier I've gone absolutely Texan nuts! I fell in love with the AT 6 lines.. My Eflite Texan is prepped for maiden this weekend. Lol..
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
HKing, thanks for posting. Yeah, kinda nervous since this will be my FIRST balsa...well, actually I also got their Ultimate EP bipe....but, then the Chipmunk went on sale for $50. I am cursed/blessed (??), because I live 45 mins. from Airborne...and, I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't share my passion.

Haven't started on any yet, but soon.

Any problems mounting that Turnigy?? I have a 3536-1100 on the way that I am also considering - very similar to the one from HeadsUpRc. It's 3mm longer than yours.

Thanks again.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
HKing, thanks for posting. Yeah, kinda nervous since this will be my FIRST balsa...well, actually I also got their Ultimate EP bipe....but, then the Chipmunk went on sale for $50. I am cursed/blessed (??), because I live 45 mins. from Airborne...and, I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't share my passion.

Haven't started on any yet, but soon.

Any problems mounting that Turnigy?? I have a 3536-1100 on the way that I am also considering - very similar to the one from HeadsUpRc. It's 3mm longer than yours.

Thanks again.

Steve
No prob..!

I know you're going to love it. It's the smallest wood/balsa plane I have but I was very impressed with how well they put this one together! Like you I was a little concerned about the low landing gear clearance but I think you'll get used to it. The biggest issue i had was how much this thing floats on approach! I have to point the nose down with some throttle to get it to land.. the tricky part is not letting it float to a point it stalls (sounds weird.. but there is a drop off point!)..

I think your 35-36 will be a perfect drop in. With my 35-30 I had to use two spacers and my prop barely clears the cowl (these were 3mm spacers) so you're dead on. However.. some people like their planes super light, I didn't care too much since I fly it with a 2550-2640 3 cell batteries, so weight would be the only issue if you like your planes very light (and your cg.. you may have to shift your battery back alittle). I know one thing.. you won't be underpowered!

It does have some warbird tendencies but I'm sure you'll have no problems with it. If your're like me, you'll probably take her up real high and see where she stalls and at what point she'll snap (and yes.. too much elevator and wham-o!)

Oh.. and BTW I expoxied my pilots in.. I don't know why they used double stick tape! And my covering was REALLY wrinkled up!

Hmm.. i wanted that chipmunk too... lol..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:26 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Yeah, my covering is wrinkled too. I have an iron, so before I put the decals on, I think I'll give it a bit of a going over. Man, if this plane were any other color I think I might have passed, but in yellow and with that black accent, it is one of the most striking I have seen. Since then, I have become more tuned in to the Texan allure.

How aggressive were your control rods set up on the servo arms and horns; and, did you dial in some low rates and/or expo to begin with?

Thanks.

Steve
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:57 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
the wrinkles are from it being shipped and the change in temperature/moisture. Try using the lowest setting on the iron and slowly turn it up if needed. I like the look of the WM texan
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:02 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, my covering is wrinkled too. I have an iron, so before I put the decals on, I think I'll give it a bit of a going over. Man, if this plane were any other color I think I might have passed, but in yellow and with that black accent, it is one of the most striking I have seen. Since then, I have become more tuned in to the Texan allure.

How aggressive were your control rods set up on the servo arms and horns; and, did you dial in some low rates and/or expo to begin with?

Thanks.

Steve
Hmm.. i still haven't got an iron yet...lol.. then again I just started getting into this stuff like 3 months ago.. yeah. i got hit bad!

I used the outermost servo horn hole and the second to the outermost hole (3rd hole away from the control surface base) on the control horn.

I actually used the book's recommended throws for my low rate and about 5% more for ailerons and rudder on high rates at 40% expo (I used HXT900s which are fast for me). Was fine, a little mushy for my buddy but he's a 3D guy. I ended up taking down the rate a bit and decreasing expo on elevator to 25% but that's a personal preference.

Even though i mentioned the warbird tendencies it's really pretty stable (don't say i didn't warn you!) lol.. you're probably a more seasoned pilot than I am.

When do you think you'll maiden? That motor is going to be fast!

And yes.. that color scheme rocks. It always gets a lot of attention.. in fact.. too much attention.. especially when I come in to land!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Santoneski, thanks for the tip on using the iron. This will be my first effort. Should I use the sock any time I use the iron? Any need to puncture the bubbles to let the air escape? Seems like it needs to go somewhere.

HKing, No, I can guarantee you that I am not a more seasoned pilot than you. lol If you could see the foam Pitts bipe beater that I'm flying/crashing right now, I'm certain you would think "What the heck is this guy doing with a balsa? Yeah, that'll last one flight, if he doesn't drop it on the ground even before he tries the first take-off!!"

We're doing some remodeling right now, so I won't even begin the build for another couple of weeks. That puts the maiden off a bit. But, I will post here when the build starts.

I read the build thread, but I'm wondering if you found it to be straightforward, or if you discovered any tricks during your assembly?? One thing I was wondering - the thread in the ca hinges, which I guess is there to keep the hinge centered, did you remove that before you glued the hinges?? And, any problems on the fit of the HXT900's, as that's what I'll be using? Those cheap servos are just the best ones going, in my opinion. I have crashed any way imaginable, but have yet to even strip one. As for speed and torque, they more than meet my abilities!!

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
Yea Sgomes use the sock it will make it slide better on the covering, as for the air bubbles not sure if you should puncture them. I'm using the tge servos haven't crashed yet so not sure how the durability is with them. If they do fail tho i will pick up some of those hxt900
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:26 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Santoneski, thanks for the tip on using the iron. This will be my first effort. Should I use the sock any time I use the iron? Any need to puncture the bubbles to let the air escape? Seems like it needs to go somewhere.

HKing, No, I can guarantee you that I am not a more seasoned pilot than you. lol If you could see the foam Pitts bipe beater that I'm flying/crashing right now, I'm certain you would think "What the heck is this guy doing with a balsa? Yeah, that'll last one flight, if he doesn't drop it on the ground even before he tries the first take-off!!"

We're doing some remodeling right now, so I won't even begin the build for another couple of weeks. That puts the maiden off a bit. But, I will post here when the build starts.

I read the build thread, but I'm wondering if you found it to be straightforward, or if you discovered any tricks during your assembly?? One thing I was wondering - the thread in the ca hinges, which I guess is there to keep the hinge centered, did you remove that before you glued the hinges?? And, any problems on the fit of the HXT900's, as that's what I'll be using? Those cheap servos are just the best ones going, in my opinion. I have crashed any way imaginable, but have yet to even strip one. As for speed and torque, they more than meet my abilities!!

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Heya,

I left the thread in. For some reason I couldn't get them pulled out and almost ripped one.

The build is very straightforward, the only thing I didn't like was how the aileron servos were mounted (those small plastic mounts). CA and Epoxy didn't take so I just glued blocks of wood since I didn't want to glue the servos on.

Maybe you'll have better luck with those!

I think you'll find it's a quick build... darn good looking plane! I thought I'd add some pics of this past weekend's flight.. great pics taken from some guys at our field..
Last edited by HKing_PwnsMe; Apr 20, 2010 at 03:56 AM.