HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:44 PM
TOLEDO
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
Discussion
How do you install Solartex

I'm getting a 1/4 sopwith pup. I don't know anything about how to do this. You can put the same color on the same plane and then paint it too right?

Thanks in advance

JB
JEREMYB is offline Find More Posts by JEREMYB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:16 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,391 Posts
I covered my Sig Spacewalker with white Solartex. The model was then painted in red and blue.

You should encounter no problems with painting Solartex.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,391 Posts
Starting on this page, the fuselage covering process is illustrated. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...956429&page=16
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:58 PM
TOLEDO
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
spraying that with paint didn't add too much weight? Looks really good tho.

JB
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:10 PM
TOLEDO
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
I was looking at the link that you sent me. I see that the Solartex is ironed down just like monokote, but how do you prep the surface? Do you have to paint the dope on? then just cover as normal?

Sorry for the basic questions.. Never done a scale build.

JB
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,391 Posts
Jeremy

Solartex has it's own adhesive, just like MK. For an added comfort level, I used to use Balsarite, that is similar to dope. It was painted on, but allowed to dry. The heat from the covering iron, melts the product, adhering it to the covering.

Jerry Nelson suggested that I substitue Aqua Net hairspray for the Balsarite. I lightly spray it on, and it is dry in less than 5 minutes. I then cover, using the same procedure as MK.

There are at least two significant difference, from MK, however

Solartex is much easier to apply, going around curves much more easily.

Solartex requires some form of sealant, even if you are using the colored fabric. The fabric is fuel/gas proof, but the weave attracts dirt easily.

Sealing with clear, or painting with color, is mandatory, at least in my opinion.

This makes the weight question, mute, as it must be done.

As far as the weight of a painted model, versus one covered in film, I have never done any testing, weighing two similar panels, one done in each method.

I feel that a painted surface looks better than one covered in plastic.

Painting the entire airframe also eliminates the problem of matching paint to the covering color, that is needed for cowls, etc.
Last edited by TomCrump; Jan 01, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:32 AM
TOLEDO
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
Ok. That makes sense now.. For some reason I didn't think that it had its own adhesive. Thanks for the info

JB