Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:44 AM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a new plane, Need Advice

Hey guys, I've been getting seriously sick and tired of my easystar, I want something new. The problem is, I can't find anything I really like or that just screams it would be great for FPV. So if anyone has any ideas, or if anyone wants me to play guinnie pig for a promising platform, let me know!

Some things I am looking for:

SIZE! I want this thing to be able to haul a ton, Big wingspan/wing area, Plus I need loads of room inside for all the av crap/extra batteries

Stability. Not much to elaborate on here.

Here are a couple things I've had my eye on:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store..._Spy_Plane_ARF
However, I've heard some bad things about this, plus, hard to repair on crash.

MAJA: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095996
Perfect... almost... its flipping outrageously expensive for what it is... plus I think the ppl who make it reported one of my posts in that post cause I said it was too expensive... so these ppl can kiss my arse

I've heard rumours of this EZWhale or something, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=45
here is a post showing it, it LOOKS great, but that's about all I have to go by... also... it isn't for sale yet heh... so that kinda puts a damper on this, but this is the right idea.
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I highly recommend the Maxi Swift flying wing, it has a 52" wing span with 868"s of wing area, it hauls a ton and then some. I use a 3s 4400mah battery and it maintains altitude at about 4mah, I can fly for 45 minutes without any problem.
Low Level FPV Flying (9 min 6 sec)
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Last edited by Tarro; Dec 30, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:24 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,295 Posts
Twinstar 2. I think It'll be my step up from the BWEX*.

Get a RR version so you don't have to fuss with matching "aircraft related" kit like servos and speed controllers. It is great for FPV, right out of the box. It's designed to haul 10 oz NiMH packs with 2 stock Speed 400 brushed motors. Use 2000-3000 mAH 2s Lipos saving up to 6 ozs while nearly doubling your battery capacity for extended flight time (15-20 min, easily). That weigh magine is than enough for FPV gear. Everything will be "under rated" which equals better durability: The plane will be lighter than designed. The motors will be running on less Voltage than designed. With a FMA CPD4 Co-Pilot, it will have the handling qualities of a trainer.

It's in stock everywhere.

And best of all...lots of room to grow! Brushless Motors would furhter improve the performance envolope...MORE weight, speed, endurance...

Hope that helps.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Agree, I like the sounds of these TwinStars, even though I've never flown/owned one!
They look a VERY capable bird, with ample fuselage space and with 2 motors, will lift a good deal of weight.

My current FPV craft is a 50" Flying Wing. Highly recommend the Wings too, more than capable as an FPV craft, as per Tarro's post above.

jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,230 Posts
I own the Predator. Yes, it is cool ! and fly nicely, almost as easy to fly as an EG class foamie. The stories about tip stalling and such stuff I guess are related to the other, the smaller, from Nitroplanes.
Not yet converted yet to FPV, because yes, I feel it fragile ! I don't master very well the landing, the field where I fly is not flat enough for this plane and I already crashed its nose. I definitelly don't see it hauling more than 200 grams !
Not more difficult to repair than foam, but you must master the classic build, balsa and covering !

Now it is gathering dust and me I am working to build a pod for a 48" flying wing, a GP Slinger.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Dec 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Yeah, I was worried the predator wasn't gonna carry enough weight. The twinstar however, I have been interested in this, but its just so "normal" to me... Also, I find myself shying from flying wings because they scare me lol, the ones i've flown are just tooooooo fast.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
I had great luck with my Twinstar, but I would not recommend the stock brushed motors. It flies well light with the stock motors, but its really a pig if you add any wieght without more power (even running lipos).

I need to rebuild mine, most of the wing and back is still perfect. Here's the view of mine going down. (Always use competent spotters and make sure they understand their job is important!)
Death of the Twinstar- FPV CRASH with Sony Webbie on board!!! (7 min 12 sec)
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
I need to rebuild mine, most of the wing and back is still perfect. Here's the view of mine going down. (Always use competent spotters and make sure they understand their job is important!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEeK5e6QOA
I don't understand why a spotters job would be that important if you know how to fly FPV. I only used a spotter 2 times, the 1st time was my 1st FPV flight and I did not need his help at all. The 2nd time was at the NEAT Fair and that was only for show, I never asked him for input.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
Houston Texas
Joined May 2008
763 Posts
Someone here has a 100" Telemaster. Is that big enough?

edragon is offline Find More Posts by edragon
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:43 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
Spotters are there in case you have a problem. In this case I asked another friend who was just watching my extra monitor to point the video antennea at the model, and for some reason I lost all video... when I asked where the plane was, my TWO spotters where not paying attention, and had no clue where it was! It was right up above me, I could hear it, but I couldn't see it in time to save it. It was a lesson in why spotters should be used. I don't care how good you are, you should always use a spotter. I don't agree with forcing everyone to have a spotter on a buddy box, but there should always be a spotter there, paying attention and helping you keep the model within direct visual range. Despite the temptation, I try very hard to fly within line of sight. I don't think long range, high altitude missions are wise, but to each his own!

You never need a spotter, until you need a spotter!

Maybe I don't qualify. I don't claim much, but I can fly an FPV heli from take-off to landing without ever looking at the model, at least its something

sorry to go off topic...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
Houston Texas
Joined May 2008
763 Posts
Don't just fly around aimlessly. Set mental waypoints and fly to those waypoints using landmarks. That way, you'll know where your plane is at all times. And if something fails, you know right away which direction to look. You just cannot rely on a spotter. Some spotter will get bored and stop paying attention. I also don't like to use OSD because it is too distracting. I became too dependent on OSD and spends too much time reading numbers when I should be looking for landmarks.
edragon is offline Find More Posts by edragon
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Back to topic... wtb awesome plane... someone here had one from multiplex that they stopped making, it was super awesome looking, i'll try to find pics of it, it was a Multiplex Sonic Liner, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172554 here is a thread. I'd like something like that, Big, looks like it can carry alot, has everything i need.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:48 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I don't understand why a spotters job would be that important if you know how to fly FPV. I only used a spotter 2 times, the 1st time was my 1st FPV flight and I did not need his help at all. The 2nd time was at the NEAT Fair and that was only for show, I never asked him for input.
Say you get disorientated up there and then you have a video problem because you flew a lot further away than you'd intended.......you haul off your video glasses then haven't got a clue in the sky where to begin looking for your plane.

Yup, spotters are very important to avoid loss.

Ian.
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
I like the sonic liner a lot too, but have never been able to track one down.

Have you considered the Multiplex Easy Glider? I think people have been pretty happy with them for FPV... and no afiliation, but I highly recommend SoaringUSA for any gliders... great stuff
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=266

How about scratch building or kit bashing? For instance I am considering how I could hack whats left of my Twinstar to make the nose like a glass bottomed boat.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:21 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,296 Posts
Is scratch building an option?

I built this one and later made a 60" wing. Flies like a dream. Carnivore build

This one was my first FPV airplane. It can carry a ton on a fairly small motor. Scout FPV build

Look at this thread for tips on scratch building: Alex's complete scratch build tutorial

There are more tutorials in my blog.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member