HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Discussion
Steorn's E-Orbo Electric Motor - No back EMF and "Overunity" performance?!

Hello Everyone,

As someone interested in DC motors I found the following video interesting. It is a video by an Irish company named Steorn that has developed a new type of DC electric motor. Their motor uses toroids as stators and through a careful arrangement of magnets apparently does not experience back EMF and has overunity performance. They claim you can get more energy out of this motor than you put in.

In the video you will see scope traces of the current and voltage staying flat regardless of speed.

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nae_I_Mus

It is a fairly simple and straitforward motor design. There are folks right now on Youtube and other websites that are replicating it. Some folks on overunity.com are claiming that it is unlike any motor they have ever built before.

What do you think?
dcmotordude is offline Find More Posts by dcmotordude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
London UK
Joined Jun 2006
100 Posts
Yawn.........
MilesH is offline Find More Posts by MilesH
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Maxwell's Laws are pretty established, even in the Quantum Domain.

Not to mention conservation of energy.

Why believe in crap?
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:51 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmotordude View Post
What do you think?
i honestly don't know what to think... if this is what they say it is, it will be a turning point in the evolution of human technology.

it would have been more convincing if they had setup their demo rig where all input & output connections were clearly visible. is there a version of this video in HD? the video has a funny vibe imo... maybe its just their lack of production experience.

some very strange results when googling "orbo"!
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
You will never get more out than you put in! Anyone claiming otherwise is either dishonest or technically dull. Either way, they are not a good investment.
jpatton4 is offline Find More Posts by jpatton4
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
If you understand what an over unity generator is, it generates VARs, not Watts. The reason these appear to be putting out more power than they put in is that the measuring equipment doesn't take power factor into consideration.

Every once in a while one of these thing pops up. It is based on total crap. As P.T. Barnum put it: "There's a sucker born every minute".

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
Most of you guys around here are way above me technically and even I no better then considering snake oil.
e
Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:55 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
These demos are very pathetic. They have what looks like a motor they slapped together from parts off ebay. Then with this contraption they claim they are getting free energy without actually showing it. Pictures of traces on an Oscope aren't proving anything but how lame these guys are. Yawn...
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:31 AM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post
These demos are very pathetic. They have what looks like a motor they slapped together from parts off ebay. Then with this contraption they claim they are getting free energy without actually showing it. Pictures of traces on an Oscope aren't proving anything but how lame these guys are. Yawn...
The demo is supposed to start back up on Tuesday. Steorn claims that they will be performing additional experiments. We should start learning more about their technology.

The pictures of the traces on their scope does seem to indicate the system is not experiencing CEMF.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:53 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
anyone remember their original "perpetual motion machine"?
the day it was going to be displayed, it had a "bearing failure due to hot lighting" and was never seen again. soon after the company dropped off the radar. they had some weird contraptions claiming to be creating energy by unknown means through magnetic forces but that never got far either.
i would be EXTREMELY skeptical of anything coming from them without outside inspection and confirmation.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:53 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
You're all wrong. It was on Youtube so it MUST be true.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:34 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Even the great scammers agree that the over unity machine is total crap that is completely worn out by now.

I violates Maxwells laws and the law of conservation of energy. This thing generates VARS, not Watts. Take it from an electrical engineer who specializes in motors, this is garbage.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:26 PM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
Back EMF is GOOD. So having built a motor with very little back EMF, he'll have a very inefficient motor. The reason he's seeing no drop in current as the motor speeds up is that all his losses are electrical. (resistance in the coils....)
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:41 AM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Steorn has posted another video of a "talk" to Youtube.

Steorn's Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction COP is greater than 1. Part 1 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcZDr1AcEU

The Q and A at the end of the last part of the talk is especially good.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:43 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
until he puts a load on it he can claim anything he wants. just sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo so far.
don't rule out a overunity device, this one probably aint but they are out there. my dad's neighbor built a motor that charged the battery it was running off of and you couldn't stop the motor turning with a pair of pliers. he explained to me how he built it but I'm not taking the chance that the same orginization that came and took his and threatened his family wouldn't show up here. but think stepper motor with a set of points and no controller, just hooked up to a battery. the thing glowed when it was running too. would make a neat airplane motor. but for every 1 real advance that gets overlooked or hushed up there must be 500 or more fakes. we got to think outside the box sooner or later.............

Jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk