SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2003, 03:17 PM
illigitimi noncarborundum
San Fernando Valley
Joined Apr 2003
46 Posts
Slow Stick - are they serious?

I bought a slow stick yesterday and have been scanning the boards looking for information. I have two questions cioncerning the "official" way to build the plane.

1. Are they serious about holding the tailfeathers on with double-sided tape? I haven't read all the post about this airplane but I have read many and I don't see the subject mentioned. I would imagine at the least I should craze (roughen up with emory paper) the aluminum stick. I might add that I watched one fly at RCX last week and the tailfeathers came loose, which caused great excitment among the GWS people watching. They ran out and grabbed the thing and did something with it. I was waiting for the Iraqi information minister to come out and say there was nothing wrong with the plane.

2. Are they serious about using a 6 cell 2/3AA pack? I've read many posts on this site and everyone seems to lean towards 8 2/3A NIMH cells or Li-polys. Has anyone actually tried the "recommended" pack?

Thanks
Carl in the San Fernando Valley.
Carl Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Carl Weaver
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2003, 03:22 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
?'s

Question 1: Yes, you use double stick tape to put the tail feathers on but you screw 2 screws under the stabilizer onto the fuse. Just double stick tape the vertical stabilizer on. I've had mine for a little over a year and its still on there.

Question 2: I've used a 6 cell on it before and it worked but only for about 5 minutes. I use 8 cell 800 mAH and I get about maybe 20-30 minutes. Sometimes longer if I thermal it.

I hope this helps a little. Thanks!
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old May 10, 2003, 03:52 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Carl,
Do yourself a favor and stick the tail feathers on with the double sticky then put a little Thick foam safe CA or use the GWS glue if you must on the plastic strips and stick them to the foam... then drill your holes and use the screws provided! I have built 6 and never had a tail feather come loose! Use a 8 cell NiMH battery pack... 800 or larger and a 12 X 6 prop if you want performance. Put a 400 esc on the sucker from the git-go as I had one of the 100's burn out and thankfully I was taxing for ROG so no carnage! DO NOT CUT THE FUSE and install the plastic connector!!!!!! Glue the fiberglass rods into the tubes (brass tubes bent to shape instead of the aluminum is better) and then glue with thick foam safe CA or epoxy the fiberglas assembly to the leading edge and trailing edge THEN wrap with tape! Otherwise you have a good chance of the wing folding in flight and it becomes a lawn dart! Happy Flying!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 10, 2003, 03:56 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Oh and after you mount the motor be sure to drill a hole in the plastic and fuse and put in a screw! Glueing will not hold! (adding 3 degress down and right thrust looking toward the front of the plane is a great idea either by carefully bending the fuse or better yet make a motor plug out of hard wood and glue in)
boomer
Old May 10, 2003, 03:57 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
1. Use the ds tape to hold the tail in place long enough to use the plastic strip w/ a couple of screws, otherwise......it will eventually fail and cause you to invest in epoxy and packing tape to do the necessary repairs

2. 6 cells (+/- 7.2 volts) will allow the motor to live a lot longer than 8 cells (+/- 9.6 volts); however, the performance will be less than peppy....the happy medium for most seems to be a 7 cell pack (+/- 8.4 volts)

most of us have gotten 40-60 flights out of a stock mabuchi motor on the SS...those that have run 8 cell packs that can deliver serious amps (ie. HE or KAN cells) will kill a mabuchi in just a couple of flights

The SS is a great plane/camera platform/bomb or parachute dropper.....however, the little mabuchi will die eventually, depending on how hard you make it work...

I was killing one a month before I finally decided to go brushless with an RZ350 in the GWS gearbox...I know.....a $140 motor and controller in a $35 plane

I don't see a problem with that....the Slowstick is a great plane and in my opinion deserves the motor
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old May 10, 2003, 04:01 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sierra aardvark
1. Use the ds tape to hold the tail in place long enough to use the plastic strip w/ a couple of screws, otherwise......it will eventually fail and cause you to invest in epoxy and packing tape to do the necessary repairs

2. 6 cells (+/- 7.2 volts) will allow the motor to live a lot longer than 8 cells (+/- 9.6 volts); however, the performance will be less than peppy....the happy medium for most seems to be a 7 cell pack (+/- 8.4 volts)

most of us have gotten 40-60 flights out of a stock mabuchi motor on the SS...those that have run 8 cell packs that can deliver serious amps (ie. HE or KAN cells) will kill a mabuchi in just a couple of flights

The SS is a great plane/camera platform/bomb or parachute dropper.....however, the little mabuchi will die eventually, depending on how hard you make it work...

I was killing one a month before I finally decided to go brushless with an RZ350 in the GWS gearbox...I know.....a $140 motor and controller in a $35 plane

I don't see a problem with that....the Slowstick is a great plane and in my opinion deserves the motor
You are the unlucky one I lost my first 300C-D motor after at least 30 flights on 8 cell 800 packs the other day! Not bad for a cheap motor however I sure don't discourage going to a brushless as you well know!
boomer
Old May 10, 2003, 04:10 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Boomer,
I've seemed to have always lived my life as an example to others of what not to do.....that's ok though, at least I'm a useful mammal
Old May 10, 2003, 04:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sierra aardvark
Boomer,
I've seemed to have always lived my life as an example to others of what not to do.....that's ok though, at least I'm a useful mammal
Well you have the kind of occupation I always thought I would like as I loved my time in Alaska! But my engineering and managing development of major airport, hydoprojects and subway systems was rewarding as well but I'm sure not as restfull nor as much fun!
boomer
Old May 10, 2003, 08:57 PM
illigitimi noncarborundum
San Fernando Valley
Joined Apr 2003
46 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

This is a great group. I will follow the advise and screw in the tail feathers (I don't like the sound of that). I wonder if 4-40 nylon would work better.

I was surprised about the motor failure though. I have lots of loose cells and plenty of solder so I may experiment with different pack sizes. Is there a good, cheap and available motor such as Graupner or Wattage - both available from Hobby People. I may start with the 6 cell AAA from my Mini-Max and work my way up to 8 HEcells 1100 that I bought at RCX. Just thinking out loud.
Carl Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Carl Weaver
Old May 10, 2003, 10:12 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
The Graupner Speed300 6V is a direct replacement for the GWS motor (it's a mabuchi as well) and if you're going to solder up some packs, I was very happy with the HE cells in a 7 cell hump pack...easy to get the CG correct just behind the landing gear and I was getting anywhere between 20 and 60 flights per motor...there's a lot of variability in the quality of those motors; however, the graupners seemed to last longer than the GWS motors although they are made by the same company (if you pull off the Graupner decal, Mabuchi is stamped underneath)
Last edited by sierra aardvark; May 10, 2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 11, 2003, 08:44 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,450 Posts
As far as battry packs, I fly my SS with anything from a 6v 350 nicd to a 7 cell 600 nicd, or a 9.6v 800 5/4 nmhi pack. Of course the 350 is the lighest and does nice in no wind conditions, the 600 is the heaviest, and the 800 AAA has the longest duration
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old May 11, 2003, 10:50 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
So far I've used the sticky tape alone for my tailfeathers. It does loosen in warm weather, however. Guess the only thing going for not screwing them down is that in a hard knock, you just apply more tape - I've lost my elevator once to hangar handling, and once to blowing over on the ground. No creases, just keep tape handy.

Karl
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old May 11, 2003, 05:48 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
TRY a 010 with a 4:1 GB and 9 KANS or Hecells I think this is the Best combo for this Plane. second best is a Hacker B20 15L with 4:1 GB I fly well over 20 mins with this setup.

Kush
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old May 11, 2003, 05:58 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Interesting. I just scuffed and epoxied the tail feather on, then the boy proceeds to tear them off flush with the tube... A little Zap-O, and he'd back in the air... He also seems to shatter the gearboxes faster than the motors can burn out, so spares have yet to be a concern

It's not that he's a bad pilot, but the SS just invites you to try stoooopid stuff!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old May 11, 2003, 06:01 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Kushal,
Not to disagree to no point; however, the Razormotors RZ350 will also take the Slowstick vertical with a 10x8 4 blade prop and an 8cell KAN950 pack and pull it along at 25mph

I'm flying this combo with a CC Phoenix 25 and haven't been happier....