HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,558 Posts
Discussion
E-flite F-16 400 DF ARF - Extension Wires (and other various headaches).

Has anyone had an issue with the extension wires that they supply in the box with the E-flite F-16 400 DF ARF to go from the ESC to the motor? I am using the Delta V480 fan/motor combo and with the extension plugged in, the motor just chatters and will not spin. I even gave in and went to my LHS and shelled out the extra $$$ for the Eflite Pro 60A ESC that they recommend for this jet/motor combination on the advice of a local. Again, all because I just wanted to get this thing in the aire since I've had it for over a month and it's done nothing but take up shelf space. Unfortunately I did not test the motor with the extension before installing it. I mean it's just wires right Now, I have had it glued into the fuselage and taken it out twice because of this issue. This of course has left my pretty plane that I bought strictly on looks looking not-so-pretty anymore and really put a dent in my opinion of E-flite products. I have several other EDF's from other manufacturers and I have to say, this is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
If you connect the ESC to the motor before you glue the H stab on, you won't need the extensions. Slide the ESC as far back as it will go and make the connections through the top. If you've already glued on the H stab, never mind.
md11plt is offline Find More Posts by md11plt
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,437 Posts
I have the F-16 and used the motor extension wires and had no trouble with them. I have seen a couple others that used them as well without any problem. I turst you have run the motor without extension wires and had no trouble so you are certain your problem is in the wires. If not try that. If it works without the wires call Horizon service and advise them of your problem with the supplied extension wires. That is what I would do anyway. Good luck Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:12 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md11plt View Post
If you connect the ESC to the motor before you glue the H stab on, you won't need the extensions. Slide the ESC as far back as it will go and make the connections through the top. If you've already glued on the H stab, never mind.
That's actually not a bad idea. I'd hate for it to get up in the air and have some weird issue because of the extensions. I thought about soldering the extensions on and trying it too, but I don't know if taking the original bullet connectors off the motor voids the warranty. I think it said something about that in the docs that came with the motor.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
I have the F-16 and used the motor extension wires and had no trouble with them. I have seen a couple others that used them as well without any problem. I turst you have run the motor without extension wires and had no trouble so you are certain your problem is in the wires. If not try that. If it works without the wires call Horizon service and advise them of your problem with the supplied extension wires. That is what I would do anyway. Good luck Mike H
Yep, tested without the extensions and no probs at all.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
You know, I was just reading my post again and I meant the V stab. You don't glue the H stabs.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
Sorry, repost.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:13 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md11plt View Post
You know, I was just reading my post again and I meant the V stab. You don't glue the H stabs.
I knew what you meant, just assumed was a mistype.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 02:49 PM
NJ
Joined Nov 2008
175 Posts
The owner at my LHS tried this plane out with the 3s stock setup and it barely got off the ground, it wound up in a tree during take off. We got it down but it pieces. All interest in the plane was gone after that. I've noticed alot with these planes and much alike, u need to do a good amount of testing with the electronics, and replace things if needed. A y cable from parkzone was twitching one of my servos, and would lock it up or down, would have been real shyty to learn that mid air. I guess they may have done a bad crimping job or something on the wires.
JackDaWack is offline Find More Posts by JackDaWack
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:30 PM
Alberta
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaWack View Post
The owner at my LHS tried this plane out with the 3s stock setup and it barely got off the ground, it wound up in a tree during take off. We got it down but it pieces. All interest in the plane was gone after that. I've noticed alot with these planes and much alike, u need to do a good amount of testing with the electronics, and replace things if needed. A y cable from parkzone was twitching one of my servos, and would lock it up or down, would have been real shyty to learn that mid air. I guess they may have done a bad crimping job or something on the wires.
I was one of the customers that got burned by the recommended 3s set-up.
Just one crash and my airframe was near totaled, they have changed the recommended power set up 3 times!!!!
And if you go wrong, then you are in big trouble like me, I still haven't got it in the air yet!
bushpilot 26 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilot 26
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:08 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,116 Posts
The key to making a successful flyer out of this is to go with the Delta 480 4000 kv setup on 4s. I did this with mine from the outset and it has proven to be a good flyer
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4