HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub owner
Merseyside, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Question
Mini Super Cub Motor Problem... All help required !

Hello everyone me again!

I am a complete RC plane noob.

I have had my mini super cub for 2 days, today I lost the spinner in a field and have ordered a replacement. Since this has happened the motor is making a HORRIBLE noise on full throttle. It is really loud and sounds like a buzzing noise sort of...

It also sounds like the prop is spinning against something but I made sure it wasn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated people !
Happyflight79 is offline Find More Posts by Happyflight79
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Oh off the top of my head I'd say you bent a shaft or prop.

As bad as you discribe it, you should be able to see it by rotating the prop by hand.
Look for two things, the shaft moving up and down as it rotates, and/or the prop blades not running in a straight line, viewed from the side.
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Oh off the top of my head I'd say you bent a shaft or prop.

As bad as you discribe it, you should be able to see it by rotating the prop by hand.
Look for two things, the shaft moving up and down as it rotates, and/or the prop blades not running in a straight line, viewed from the side.
I did check for both of these things, everything seems to be in order

Sorry for the bad explanation!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
I see from your other thread you had a slight incident with mother earth. Forgot to mention that? Giving ALL the info related to your problem will greatly help you in getting help from us.

Did you get all the mud out?

First now that you checked it by hand, spin up the motor very slowly, and recheck it.
Work the throttle up and see if at a certain point the vibration/noise show up.

Look to see if maybe the prop got pushed back into the cowl, or if it's a gear box set up, look for a bind in the gears from your nose in.

And something else for your benefit, stick with one thread, you'll get a lot more help that way, instead of having three going one for each problem. Or find the thread dealing with the mini Cub, as the folks there will prety much have the problems all figured out and will be able to assist you a lot better.
Last edited by The Scarecrow; Dec 29, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
I see from your other thread you had a slight incident with mother earth.

Did you get all the mud out?

First now that you checked it by hand, spin up the motor very slowly, and recheck it.
Work the throttle up and see if at a certain point the vibration/noise show up.

Look to see if maybe the prop got pushed back into the cowl, or if it's a gear box set up, look for a bind in the gears from your nose in.
So i'll have to take the cowl off for that gear check ?

In terms of the mother earth incident. I got all of it out apart from some caked on bits on the inside of the cowl.

The heavy vibrations start at about 75-100% throttle. At low RPM the prop has always been a bit shaky which I reckon is normal.

It looks quite smooth at high RPM until the horrible vibrations start.

The prop is a bit frayed I will put the spare on and see how it goes. It could also be because of a loose nut or bolt although I have tried tightening them.

Once again thank you for your help
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:14 PM
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
I'll go back to my original thoughts on your problem now. Yep I bet you bent the shaft or prop. Why? now you say the problem gets worse as you throttle up. A bent shaft or bad prop will tend to magnify the problem as it speeds up, so even thou you didn't see a problem when you hand spun it, running it up shwed it was there.

Also the prop being "torn up" is another dead give away you have a problem there.

Yeah for safety sake and to be sure of your problem, you may have damaged both the prop and motor or shaft, take the cowl off.

Best of luck to you.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
I'll go back to my original thoughts on your problem now. Yep I bet you bent the shaft or prop. Why? now you say the problem gets worse as you throttle up. A bent shaft or bad prop will tend to magnify the problem as it speeds up, so even thou you didn't see a problem when you hand spun it, running it up shwed it was there.

Also the prop being "torn up" is another dead give away you have a problem there.

Yeah for safety sake and to be sure of your problem, you may have damaged both the prop and motor or shaft, take the cowl off.

Best of luck to you.
Before you go,

Where is the prop shaft? Is it the cased bit above the motor that runs behind the prop?

If it is a damaged Motor is it easily fixable?

Is a damaged shaft easily fixed?

Once again thank you so much.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:43 PM
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Hang on there. THis is the HobbyZone version right?

If so go here. http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...per_cub_parts/

This is the parts listing for it. 4th one down is the prop shaft, 16th one I believe is the whole gearbox assy.

This is very much the same set up as the old ParkZone Cubs used. Just smaller.

As I said before, you boink it, more then likely you bent either the prop or shaft, or drove the prop or shaft back and it's binding up, or you could have even broke the gearbox itself. Any of these would cause the noise/vibration/lack of power you are getting.

Let's start all over. Unbolt the prop and take it off. Now power up the motor, listen and look at the prop shaft. See if its wobbling and if you can hear/feel the vibration.
If not, you more then likely lucked out and just have a bad prop.

If you still hear/feel/see that you still have the problem with the prop off, now it's time to take off the cowl.

Spin up the motor again, and watch the big gear on the prop shaft, if it's wobbling you damaged the prop shaft. Also you may have done more. You'll need to check to see if maybe you damaged the shaft bushings, or gearbox.

Easy enough to do. First look real close at where the shaft runs in the gearbox for cracks or splits. Then look at where the motor mounts for the same.

If you are good there, it's time to check the shaft bushings. Remove the motor screws that hold it to the gearbox, you may need to unbolt the gear box to do so, no big deal.

Once you have the motor off, spin the prop shaft. It should spin very easily. If not, you damaged the bushings, again no real problem. Pop the prop shaft off, and look at the bushings, there will be two, one at the back and one at the front of the gearbox.

If they are damaged, they are easy to replace, but if you hit it hard enough to damage them, you may be better off to replace the shaft and bushings both, or the whole gearbox.

Let me know what you find, I'll keep checking back.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
Hang on there. THis is the HobbyZone version right?

If so go here. http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...per_cub_parts/

This is the parts listing for it. 4th one down is the prop shaft, 16th one I believe is the whole gearbox assy.

This is very much the same set up as the old ParkZone Cubs used. Just smaller.

As I said before, you boink it, more then likely you bent either the prop or shaft, or drove the prop or shaft back and it's binding up, or you could have even broke the gearbox itself. Any of these would cause the noise/vibration/lack of power you are getting.

Let's start all over. Unbolt the prop and take it off. Now power up the motor, listen and look at the prop shaft. See if its wobbling and if you can hear/feel the vibration.
If not, you more then likely lucked out and just have a bad prop.

If you still hear/feel/see that you still have the problem with the prop off, now it's time to take off the cowl.

Spin up the motor again, and watch the big gear on the prop shaft, if it's wobbling you damaged the prop shaft. Also you may have done more. You'll need to check to see if maybe you damaged the shaft bushings, or gearbox.

Easy enough to do. First look real close at where the shaft runs in the gearbox for cracks or splits. Then look at where the motor mounts for the same.

If you are good there, it's time to check the shaft bushings. Remove the motor screws that hold it to the gearbox, you may need to unbolt the gear box to do so, no big deal.

Once you have the motor off, spin the prop shaft. It should spin very easily. If not, you damaged the bushings, again no real problem. Pop the prop shaft off, and look at the bushings, there will be two, one at the back and one at the front of the gearbox.

If they are damaged, they are easy to replace, but if you hit it hard enough to damage them, you may be better off to replace the shaft and bushings both, or the whole gearbox.

Let me know what you find, I'll keep checking back.
You have been amazing help !

It is the HZ version and I am currently searching for a phillips small enough to get the cowl off !
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
If you can't find a phillips, a very small straight screwdriver will work. Anyone at you place wear glasses? If they have an eyglass screwdriver kit, one of those would work just fine.

Or, and I've done it myself. Take a small nail, and hammer the pointed end flat, till you have a point that will fit the screw. If the screws are tight, use a pair of pliers on the nail to twist it.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2009
30 Posts
Quote:
If you can't find a phillips, a very small straight screwdriver will work. Anyone at you place wear glasses? If they have an eyglass screwdriver kit, one of those would work just fine.

Or, and I've done it myself. Take a small nail, and hammer the pointed end flat, till you have a point that will fit the screw. If the screws are tight, use a pair of pliers on the nail to twist it.
Ok did everything, checked all you told me.

The bigger gear when disconnected from the motor span freely (however it only spun for a second before stopping, it definatlely wasn;t stiff)

I put it all back together and the loud better but still there slightly and so are the vibrations. I think it was the prop and everything is 80% smoother than before I fiddled.

Thank you for your help, as soon as the weather picks up and I get my new spinner Ill let you know how it goes !
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
I looked at the picture of the gearbox. Your's uses bearings and one what appears to be a bushing. It should allow you to spin the prop shaft very easily, and it should spin for quite a bit just by using your finger to flip it into motion. Keep an eye on it once you get it back together.

Lotsa luck to you.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2 Posts
I got a mini supercub and unfortunately the front end has come loose. When I look underneath the front cowling I see that the spikes the go through the sterofoam fuslage easliy slide back out.

My question is what kind of glue should I use that will not damage the strofoam but probably hold the spikes back in place.

thanks for all of your help
olegmilligan is offline Find More Posts by olegmilligan
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:18 PM
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegmilligan View Post
I got a mini supercub and unfortunately the front end has come loose. When I look underneath the front cowling I see that the spikes the go through the sterofoam fuslage easliy slide back out.

My question is what kind of glue should I use that will not damage the strofoam but probably hold the spikes back in place.

thanks for all of your help
I have fixed half a dozen or so this way. Clean all of the old glue off of the fus front and the firewall. Use some 60 grit sandpaper and scuff up the side of the firewall that will sit against the fus. Then clean it with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Use RTV Silicon Rubber (Lowes, Menards) and coat the firewall with a thin layer. Put some RTV in the holes where the spikes go also. Press it together and let it dry for 24 hrs. Mount motor/gearbox and you are good to go.
Jeff
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman