HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:40 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Discussion
Ziroli Hellcat

Hey fella's, i have just started to frame up a Ziroli Hellcat, it is 1/5 scale, 95 inch wingspan, i thought i would share the build with you folks on RC Groups. There have been some other build threads done on this plane on other sites but the best i can tell none on here, RC Groups is one of my favorites. Just a little background. I am currently unemployed so this may be a long term build project. Fortunately, i had purchased a lot of the parts before the lay off occurred so i have a jump on that part of it. If any of you are building one or you have questions or comments please join in. Let's have a good time with this. Pictures are of the fuselage crutch. Will follow up soon with additional pictures as the build progresses.
Steve_O is offline Find More Posts by Steve_O
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Sorry to hear about your layoff.

Like you, I plan/buy ahead. In the past, when out of work, I've been able to build, with little additional expense.

Are you cutting your own parts, or using a kit cutter ? If using a cutter, who ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:41 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Hopefully there will be a job come along early this year.
Typically i cut all my own parts but on this one I have Laser Lizard's fuselage formers. I am working with him in an effort to get the wing and tail ribs cut. Other than that i will buy the sticks and sheeting. Going to Home Depot today to buy a 1X8 to use as a fixture to set up the crutch and formers.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
winfield Ia
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
I will follow along to see how your build goes. If ya lived closer we will be hiring shortly. But the starting pay really ........ Well you get the point. Looks like we both have warbirds in the early build stages. Looking forward to the adventures, Shaun
Reddog170 is offline Find More Posts by Reddog170
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:08 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Reddog170, i am very open at this point to any job options.
The crutch fixtures are finished, the crutch is just sitting loosely on the fixtures at this point. The fixtures are just 1 X 8 pieces cut to length with 3/16 scrap balsa glued to the bottom of them for a little more height and something to pin to.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:03 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Some progress made today. The formers are glued to the crutch. There will be a short delay now as i have to order some wood for the stringers and sheeting.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
It may be just the pic, but the 5th former from the front, looks slightly warped.

When you get ready to glue the stringers, take steps to straighten this former.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:43 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Happy New Year!
Nice catch Tom, yes it is slightly warped. It is the largest of the formers and i suppose with age it has caused the problem. I basically took the "middle of the road" when glueing it to the crutch knowing i would have to work with it to get it straight when adding the stringers. These formers are just 3 ply/liteply, which is good and bad at the same time. They are lighter than 5 ply but some strength and integrity is traded off. For those of you that may not fully understand just how large this plane is, i have added a Dasani's water bottle for reference..... Now where did i put that beer..
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:52 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Beer ? Did you say beer ???

How about these Bud cans that Glenn McIntosh made for my 1/4 scale Cessna 195 ?
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:57 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
I like those. Can't drink and drive though....
Is there any detail somewhere on how he did those?
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:04 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Glenn and I have a Hostetler Cessna 195 thread, in the Scale Forum, but he didn't post his procedure. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005782

He measured up a full size beer can, and divided the dimensions by 4, giving it quarter scale.

He turned the cans on his lathe, from aluminum stock. The labels were grabbed from the net, and sized on his computer. They are printed on photo paper, and glued to the cans.

A comment was made, saying that we can't fly and drink the beer. They were afraid that we would spill the beer.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:15 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Glenn and I have a Hostetler Cessna 195 thread, in the Scale Forum, but he didn't post his procedure. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005782

He measured up a full size beer can, and divided the dimensions by 4, giving it quarter scale.

He turned the cans on his lathe, from aluminum stock. The labels were grabbed from the net, and sized on his computer. They are printed on photo paper, and glued to the cans.

A comment was made, saying that we can't fly and drink the beer. They were afraid that we would spill the beer.
Oh yea,,, you have to be careful.....you don't want to spill any for sure.
A couple of them would be fitting sitting in the cockpit of a warbird after a long day of flying though. That might be cool. Something to think about. Maybe after an event, i could sit a couple on the cockpit rail or wing.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Glenn has already made a cooler,that will contain simulated ice, along with the cans.

The thought is to put it outside, under a wing, while the model is on display.

The thought is to do some sort of diorama, replicating a scene that you might see at a full scale flyin.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:18 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
337 Posts
I have been browsing your build thread. That is a beauty!!!
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Thanks !!!

It's a long, slow, build, but Glenn and I are enjoying it.