Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Discussion
AMA Convention in Onterio, CA January 8-10

Just letting everyone in So Cal know its that time of year again. I will be attending but am a little reluctant to buy my ticket. For my girlfriend and I to attend its going to cost us almost $40 just to get in the door. $15 a piece for tickets then some BS $8 to park my car. Does anyone else think its a little bit of a rip? I mean they are charging me to spend more money...how does that work?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/amaexpo.aspx
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:16 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Have your girlfriend bring a friend, then carpool with someone, drop them off at the Ontario Mall, then you and your buddy go to the Expo.

The cost is what it is, what can you do about it? Go and pay what it costs and have fun, or don't go, those are basically your two choices.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:28 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomer View Post
Have your girlfriend bring a friend, then carpool with someone, drop them off at the Ontario Mall, then you and your buddy go to the Expo.

The cost is what it is, what can you do about it? Go and pay what it costs and have fun, or don't go, those are basically your two choices.
yeah, its kinda like up a creek without a paddle. I'll end up going, but I'm going to try and do the old park and walk. My GF is a trooper, so she won't mind the walk.

And, I'm hoping the show deals will make up for the admission price. I wish they would tell us what vendors would be there...need myh first 3DHS plane...but I don't know if they will attend.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:12 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
The list of vendors is on the AMA website, and Rob from ADC Hobby Store, a 3DHS dealer, will have planes for sale there.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/amaconv...torlisting.pdf

In all the years I have been there, there are some decent show specials with some vendors, but if you look around on the net, you can usually find cheaper prices. If you're going strictly to buy, you may be a little disappointed. You will find a ton of stuff for sale, but not necessarily at the lowest prices. But you can find some great deals if you know the market and what items usually sell for. If you're going to buy, look, and have fun, it's definitely worth the admission price.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:47 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
Don't forget to drop in to the Indoor Flying Area too. Fred Bronk, Pismo, PGR and myself will be operating the venue as usual and we're even going to be putting on some low-light night flying demos!

mw (event ATC)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:03 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,405 Posts
Look forward to seeing you guys in the flight area on Saturday. I will have the new nano size Heli-Max SeaCobra with me for a flight or two. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:54 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
I wish I could fly at the event...but alas I'm not AMA.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
I wish I could fly at the event...but alas I'm not AMA.
This is not a flying event. The only flying that will be going on will be done by the various registered vendors who will be doing product demonstrations. It is not a Fun-Fly or any kind of competition.

AMA and non-AMA members alike are welcome at the show. AMA members do get a discount on tickets however.

And with respect to the parking fees, AMA has nothing to do with the. The Ontario Convention Center charges those fees.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:00 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
This is not a flying event. The only flying that will be going on will be done by the various registered vendors who will be doing product demonstrations. It is not a Fun-Fly or any kind of competition.

AMA and non-AMA members alike are welcome at the show. AMA members do get a discount on tickets however.

And with respect to the parking fees, AMA has nothing to do with the. The Ontario Convention Center charges those fees.
Don't that have some outdoor flying field or something? Or did they cancel that, too with the swap shop last year?

I don't care who is in charge of the parking fees. They are too high.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:19 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
Don't that have some outdoor flying field or something? Or did they cancel that, too with the swap shop last year?

I don't care who is in charge of the parking fees. They are too high.
There has not been any organized public participation flying at either the AMA Convention or the prior IMS in Pasadena for as long as I have been attending. But that only goes back to 1989, before that I cannot say. At Pasadena they used to have outdoor vendor demos, but I do not recall there ever being any public flying allowed or offered as part of the show.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R