HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:51 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
Nice planes there, skye8070. Mine has the straight tips and my new estimate on the AUW is now at about 74 oz. I am still doing some repair on one of the wing tips and will post some more pics in the next few days. I currently fly a friend's first-generation Onyx that I fixed up for him and it too has the MH32 wing. I am really beginning to love the effect that the camber changing has on the plane in thermals and in high winds. I have the camber setup on the throttle stick (up stick is no camber) so I can adjust the amount based on the thermal strength and wind speeds. It really slows down the plane with just 2 or 3 degrees of camber. I have it setup so that I can use a switch to select between camber (for thermal mode) or for flaps (landing mode). I can't wait to play with the camber on the Eraser.

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:59 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
541 Posts
Yep - even though it's a different plane, I'd say that sounds just the like the Eraser. I'm still playing with CG and amounts of camber. I can adjust it on the fly with a proportional slider, other times I'll just flip it over to a preset. I've tried adding in some elevator too, although I'm not convinced that's necessary. But like you say it'll really slow down which can make watching the plane react to lift that much easier (just my opinion).

Skye

ps - I only own one of those planes in the picture. I bought it from a friend who got it from the guy in the picture.
skye8070 is online now Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
It's been a while since my last post. I have been building as much as I can and am finally getting close to finished. At least to the point where I can fly the plane. I had to replace both aileron servos so I am now using the DS368 servo in the tips. Some specs up to this point.

Right Panel: 9.7 oz
Left Panel: 9.8 oz
Center Panel: 24.2 oz
Carbon Joiners: 1.7 oz
Fuse with V-tail: 30.2 oz

AUW Total: 75.6 oz

I still have to finish re-painting the wings, make some better servo covers and make a landing skeg. If I can end up with an AUW of 76 oz, I'll be happy.....Who am I kidding, I'll be happy anyway!! :>) I have lots and lots of pics to post. I'll try to get them posted as soon as possible. In the meantime, here's a few:

Scotty
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
Marauders Rule
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmorton View Post
It's been a while since my last post. I have been building as much as I can and am finally getting close to finished. At least to the point where I can fly the plane. I had to replace both aileron servos so I am now using the DS368 servo in the tips. Some specs up to this point.

Right Panel: 9.7 oz
Left Panel: 9.8 oz
Center Panel: 24.2 oz
Carbon Joiners: 1.7 oz
Fuse with V-tail: 30.2 oz

AUW Total: 75.6 oz

I still have to finish re-painting the wings, make some better servo covers and make a landing skeg. If I can end up with an AUW of 76 oz, I'll be happy.....Who am I kidding, I'll be happy anyway!! :>) I have lots and lots of pics to post. I'll try to get them posted as soon as possible. In the meantime, here's a few:

Scotty
Just finishing the build of 2 skegs myself.
One for the Topaz, the other for the Ruby.
If you looking for hints

Phil
flying_flip is offline Find More Posts by flying_flip
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
How are you building the skegs? Can you post some pics??

I've seen a few different techniques, from using a balloon and laying the fiberglass over that, to making a mold of the nose cone and using that to make the skeg. One technique I might use is to wax up the nose cone really good with car wax and lay the fiberglass over that. When done, just pop it off and trim.

Scotty
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
Marauders Rule
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
287 Posts
Quote:
How are you building the skegs? Can you post some pics??

I've seen a few different techniques, from using a balloon and laying the fiberglass over that, to making a mold of the nose cone and using that to make the skeg. One technique I might use is to wax up the nose cone really good with car wax and lay the fiberglass over that. When done, just pop it off and trim.

Scotty
Kind of a combination.

1. Wax the fuselage back to the hatch.
2. Cover the nose with a nitrile glove (finger or thumb) tape in place.
3. Wax the glove (light buff)
4. Wrap saran-wrap around the fuselage from the glove back along the fuse.
5. Cut strips of 3 oz. glass 2-3" width and about a foot long.
6. Apply resin to glass and with a razor blade first cut squares then cut the squares into triangles. (triangles conform better)
7. Layup about 3 layers of glass around the nose (no skeg at this point)
8. Either use saran-wrap or another nitrile finger, cover the fibreglass and tape in place.
9. squeeze out excess resin to the rear over the saran-wrap (step4).
10. when cured, pop off the mold and sand smooth (wet/dry paper).
11. cut taper (1" on top to 3" on bottom.
12. Mount your wing to the fuselage, and use as an alignment tool.
13. CA the G10 skeg to the mold. Fillet the skeg with CA.
14. Mix another batch of resin, half for the glass, and half that with you will ad filler too.
15. Fillet the sides with the filler/resin.
16. Resin and cut more fibreglass triangles and glass 2 layers on each side.
( I glass one triangle to the front and 1 on the rear, then layup the sides.)
17. When cured, sand smooth.
18. Paint.
19. Dob of silicone to attach to the nose.

Phil
Last edited by flying_flip; Jan 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Marauders Rule
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
287 Posts
Skeg

This is still needing final sanding, but you get a better idea.

Phil
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
541 Posts
The Eraser is really coming together Scotty. Will you fly it at Queen Creek next month?
skye8070 is online now Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
It's finally coming together. :>) Since we have had some rain lately, I couldn't fly it today. I'll have to wait until next weekend. That's fine, though. I still have some touch up stuff to do and some more sanding on the wingtip. And then more painting. If all goes well, I'll fly it at the Southwest Classic! :>) I'm already registered for "Open" Class, so I might as well fly the Eraser.

Phil: Thank you for the info and pics on those skegs. Those look great! And I can't wait to see them in person. John B. did a similar process to create his skeg for the Sharon. It's got me motivated enough to start making a skeg for the Eraser. I don't have any G10 (fiberglass plate) but I do have some fiberglass and ply laminate left over from another project that I'll use.

Time for some pics from the rebuild:

Fixing the wingtip. The right tip was just about wiped out. I had to cut most of it back an insert some balsa to get the shape back. A few small balsa patches here and there and some CA here and there.....looking good. I then sanded the tip and added the "Icing" to fill in the low spots and to try to get the shape back.

Scotty
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
Marauders Rule
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
287 Posts
Quote:
It's finally coming together. :>) Since we have had some rain lately, I couldn't fly it today. I'll have to wait until next weekend. That's fine, though. I still have some touch up stuff to do and some more sanding on the wingtip. And then more painting. If all goes well, I'll fly it at the Southwest Classic! :>) I'm already registered for "Open" Class, so I might as well fly the Eraser.

Phil: Thank you for the info and pics on those skegs. Those look great! And I can't wait to see them in person. John B. did a similar process to create his skeg for the Sharon. It's got me motivated enough to start making a skeg for the Eraser. I don't have any G10 (fiberglass plate) but I do have some fiberglass and ply laminate left over from another project that I'll use.

Time for some pics from the rebuild:

Fixing the wingtip. The right tip was just about wiped out. I had to cut most of it back an insert some balsa to get the shape back. A few small balsa patches here and there and some CA here and there.....looking good. I then sanded the tip and added the "Icing" to fill in the low spots and to try to get the shape back.

Scotty
I've got the G10 if you want some....

Phil
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:54 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
OK. More progress to report.

First up: The Skeg. Next week, I'll get a piece of that G10 stuff from Phil. In the meantime, I made the fiberglass base that the G10 will be attached to. I followed his technique in making the base. I cleaned up the nose cone with some wet sanding with 500 grit and then some heavy coats of car wax. I pulled a latex glove over the nose cone (used on of the fingers). I then waxed the glove the best I could. I cut a bunch of fiberglass strips and small triangle from some of the fiberglass weave that you buy at the auto parts place or Walmart. I used Z-poxy finishing resin to apply the fiberglass to the nose cone. After several layers of glass, I wrapped the nose cone in saran wrap and then applied another latex glove over that. Let dry overnight and presto...skeg base is complete.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:59 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
Second Up: I decided to add one more layer of 0.5 oz fiberglass cloth to one of the repaired areas. I had sanded through to the balsa in two places and didn't want to chance it. I'll sand the edges of the glass to better blend in with the wing skin. The center section is now ready for painting.

Scotty
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
USA, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2006
292 Posts
Third Up: Painting the bottom of the wing tip. I used the gloss black Krylon spray paint in a can. I applied two light coats and then wet sanded with 320 grit. I then applied another two light coats. After I put everything back together and re-weighed the tip, I gained 0.1 oz from the paint. The left wing tip now weighs 9.9 oz. This weight includes the top coat. I thought about added another coat on top, but I might skip it to keep the weight down a bit.

Scotty
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2006
105 Posts
eraser

Nice work. Makes me wish I could find a center wing panel.Thanks
gliderr2 is offline Find More Posts by gliderr2
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
USA, IL, Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
Great work!

I am in the middle of an Eraser repair as well. I am totally inspired to get this completed now as well. My repairs are not as extensive but do need to be completed.

Are you running 2.4? I am having to move my 2.4 wiskers outside the nose due to some serious blanking.

If you come across and old Eraser parts, we should talk and stick together. I love my bird. This is my first Modlie and she flies great.

Good luck!
Brew Glider is offline Find More Posts by Brew Glider