SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEinSKY View Post
Great Planes recommends up to .75 for 2C, and the video on this page sounds like a 4C.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1019.html

I think if you had high torque servos to handle the load, and avoided real radical moves at full speed, you would be fine with a bigger engine. The prop clearance is great. I used a 15 X 7 for electric, and there was excellent ground clearance.
Tom
I sent GP an e-mail when the video first came out. It is an OS 91FS Surpass II.
albsurfer is offline Find More Posts by albsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whahoo13x View Post
I got the revolver in today and let me tell you. This is one sweet looking plane. I'm sure it flies as sweet too. Not only is this a great looking plane, it is built like a tank. Wings are sheeted foam and both stabs and all control surfaces are either solid wood or completely sheeted. Can't wait to get this one out to the field.
She's a great looker and flyer but its weak point is the landing gear.

It will fail. I suggest reinforcing it before ever flying it.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superem View Post
She's a great looker and flyer but its weak point is the landing gear.

It will fail. I suggest reinforcing it before ever flying it.
The mod I provided - started here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=38

... has held up on rough grass fields very well.

I totally enjoy flying the plane... way fun...
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:13 PM
Macungie, PA
Joined Dec 2004
194 Posts
I also have reenforced the landing gear area but did it a bit differently. I used 3 pieces of 1/4" ply which were shaped to fit between the bulkheads. I then cut a 1/4" wide slot in the battery tray along the centeline of the fuse so that I could slide them into place. Two of the plates were a bit shorter so that I could drop them down and then slide them into position across the width of the fuse. The last one was made longer so that it was flush with the top surface of the battery tray and is located in the center of the fuse. I taped over the 4 blind nuts that attach the landing legs to keep glue from blocking the threads. I glued the web plates using white Gorilla glue as I wanted the expanding glue to fill any gaps due to imprecise fit. After the Gorilla glue had dried I applied some thin slow setting epoxy so that it would soak into the plywood and balsa and further strengthen the area. I did not use wood screws as the 1/4 ply was a bit thin to screw into and I'm relying on the Gorilla glue and epoxy to provide the attachment strength. I also dripped in some thin white wood glue into the bottom structure on either side of the fuse to help attach the outer surface of the two webplates to the structure of the fuse.

The landing gear attachment area is channel made from 1/4" ply and the my added webplates are attached across either end and the center of the channel which then makes it more of a box shape. This fix did not add much weight but has greatly strenghtened the landing gear attachment area. I'm going to be running 8 cells on a Hyperion Zs 4025 10 and so I wanted to make sure that the gear would stay attached on our grass field.
djcb is offline Find More Posts by djcb
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
161 Posts
I beefed mine up with epoxy at all of the joints, I am a little weary of adding bracing though. In the event of a (mistake) hard landing, I would be afraid of the extra bracing causing more collateral damage to the fuse then just losing the plate. My 2 cents.
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
702 Posts
And a good 2 cents too!
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, NY, Stony Point
Joined Nov 2005
35 Posts
I'm in the middle of setting my Revolver 70. I'm using the Rimfire .80 with a Castle Phoenix 80 ESC. Can someone post what settings I should use within the ESC.

Thanks
nycatt is offline Find More Posts by nycatt
Last edited by nycatt; Jan 23, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:54 AM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
702 Posts
Welcome Nycatt. I use all the defaults for the ESC. They work just fine.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
161 Posts
Brake off, windmill effect helps slow the plane for landing.
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot View Post
The mod I provided - started here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=38

... has held up on rough grass fields very well.

I totally enjoy flying the plane... way fun...
You are correct RCJetPilot. I was refering to your mod.

The plate held up but the gear itself broke. You cant win.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Been a few months since I've had the Revolver up. Looks like a pretty decent day, think I'll charge some packs, knock the dust off her and get a few flights this afternoon.
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
I've got a turnigy sk 50-65-380K and 6S 5000mah 40c lipos, turnigy 85A esc with built in 5A bec. I'm wondering if this is a good match for this airplane or if it'll be too heavy or hard to balance. I'm considering this or the new Phoenix 540T .91 to 1.20.

Anyone flying this combo or have any insight? Thanks.
truevine77 is offline Find More Posts by truevine77
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:51 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,426 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned that the motor was too big. Rather, whether running it on 6s would be enough for this 9 lb. plane. I could see using that motor on 7s or maybe even 8s, with the right prop combo.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog View Post
i wouldn't be concerned that the motor was too big. Rather, whether running it on 6s would be enough for this 9 lb. Plane. I could see using that motor on 7s or maybe even 8s, with the right prop combo.
+1.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truevine77 View Post
I've got a turnigy sk 50-65-380K and 6S 5000mah 40c lipos, turnigy 85A esc with built in 5A bec. I'm wondering if this is a good match for this airplane or if it'll be too heavy or hard to balance. I'm considering this or the new Phoenix 540T .91 to 1.20.

Anyone flying this combo or have any insight? Thanks.

It will fly just fine on that power system. I flew mine for the longest time on 6S propped for about 1500 watts. Set it up with decent batteries and prop it to the motors potential (1800 watts per HK) and she will fly great.
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter