HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:38 AM
Got Adrenaline?
Ruskin, FL
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
Lhs doesn't have anything in 17 range. Ordered some and should be in by Friday. Just in time to maiden it this weekend.
TheRook76 is offline Find More Posts by TheRook76
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:42 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
You could go with an 18x6 and see how that goes also.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:22 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the timing of the ESC? Moving the timing from low to medium or from medium to high may help. I've had that screeching before too and the problem was with my ESC timing. I've only used Turnigy ESCs though so your issue may be different.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:42 PM
Got Adrenaline?
Ruskin, FL
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
I'm waiting for the delivery today of the castle link and watt meter. will test the 17x12 that's on there now and see how many amps it's pulling and if it's exciting the ice 100 limits also will be able to see what timing is set at with the castle link. New props come in on friday.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:57 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
If your hitting the limits on the 100 your flight times are going to suck on 6s.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:28 AM
Got Adrenaline?
Ruskin, FL
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
Ok so ran the bench test with watts meter and the 17x12 prop and wow. At 3/4 throttle it was pulling 97A at full throttle for the second it ran before shutting off it read 143A
That prop seriously pulls.
I get the 17x8 and 17x10 tomorrow. My guess would be the 17x8 like early recommended by another member.

Would it go alot faster if I get a larger ESC and stay with the 17x12?
But will my flight times suck?

Rimfire 120
CC Ice 100
6s 65c 5000mah Lipo
1500mah rx nimah pack
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:46 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I don't think it will go faster. Alot of the times higher rpm is better. I guess you don't have an RPM gauge do you? Forgot to mention. If you are pulling 97amps at 3/4 and continue to run it that way you will have shorter run times then you think. (BOOM!)
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:38 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
544 Posts
Wow, that seems way off. I have the same size and kv motor (different brand) and with a 16x14 pattern prop, which is really big compared to a E-prop, I don't get anywhere near those amps. With a 6s 50c 5000mah lipo. Maybe the kv is off on the motor?
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
Got Adrenaline?
Ruskin, FL
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
I haven't had much time to work on the model. But I did run the 17x8e prop and got 89 amps at full throttle. Going to run the 17x10e prop next. After I get all these things figured out and get better, I'll attempt the maiden. Been a little under the weather.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
That sounds abit better.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
No new maiden reports on this bird yet?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought one of these from Tower.

Using 5 S3004 Servos (2 for Elevators) with 6.0V Battery
Rimfire 1.20, Ice 100, Ball Links all around and Robarts for the elevator and rudder.

Still in the building process. Will have pics once she's ready.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Got Adrenaline?
Ruskin, FL
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
Sorry for nothing new posted. I got sick and it turned into a bad case of pneumnia. Ended up in the hospital this pass Sunday and still here this Friday morning. Looks I'm going to be discharged today. Going to run final test, snap pics of my setup, and trying to get my brother to film my maiden. Hopefully by Monday I should post up some pics, a vid, and a castle flight log from the esc.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Revolver vs. 3DHS model

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRook76 View Post
Sorry for nothing new posted. I got sick and it turned into a bad case of pneumnia. Ended up in the hospital this pass Sunday and still here this Friday morning. Looks I'm going to be discharged today. Going to run final test, snap pics of my setup, and trying to get my brother to film my maiden. Hopefully by Monday I should post up some pics, a vid, and a castle flight log from the esc.
Man that's hard! I've been there - last October, which has the best weather and is the most photogenic month here in the WV hills, I had a bunch of RC goals I was planning to tick. But on 10/2, my birthday no less, I went to the clinic about (what I thought was) a bad sinus infection I couldn't shake. But my pulse O2 was so low they sent me right to hospital #1. This obnoxious old doctor told everybody he thought I had pneumocystis(sp) pneumonia, which is associated with AIDS. They put me in isolation and informed me that - while I was there! - they were going to detox me off of the prescription pain meds I've needed and used successfully for a number of years. The staff was treating me like a street addict.

WV has its good and bad points...

I was able to transfer to a great hospital (in VA), where they determined it was some other type, I forget, but apparently I was bad off. I mostly remember these scary paranoid delusions I was having, from sedatives and not enough oxygen to the old gray matter. Anyway, they put me under full sedation for 3 days and pumped me full of high-powered antibiotics, and after 2 weeks plus in the hosp., I was so glad to finally get sprung. By the time I was strong enough to fly, it started snowing and didn't stop.

I never get sick, and there's no idea where it came from. Wierd!

Rook, I hope you get out soon! Push the docs and nursing staff for what you need/want. The squeaky wheel and all that!

Hey, gang, I do actually have a topical question. I've been looking hard at this plane. I'm about due for my fourth (first balsa/ply) plane. I want something sporty that I can get in the air within a few weeks, and keep the total budget as close to $500 as possible. Something fairly large that my aging eyes can follow (when I get in trouble these days, it always seems to be from losing orientation. Meanwhile, 3DHS has such great cred, and I could see spending a little more or sacrificing a little wingspan to get, say, an AJ Slick.

I could also see me crashing whatever I get. Oh well, gotta learn about repairing/covering wood sometime...

Any thoughts? Thanks.
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Last edited by misfire; Apr 15, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
misfire,

Check out the smaller Escapade. If one of your first three planes is fairly challenging, the Escapade might be a good next step. I have never flown one, but guys like it a lot.

The smaller Revolver is fun too, but landing gear is fragile unless you've mastered a 3-point landing, or tail-wheel-first landing. On that thread, you can read my saga with the LG of the smaller Revolver. Now that I've fixed it (a few times) I like the Revolver a lot.

I'd recommend the Great Planes Super Sportster too, as a first balsa plane, except it's landing gear stinks, and needs to be replaced by the red GP Electrostik landing gear that you can get from Tower Hobbies. They're fiberglass and very light and stiff. If you've got the drill press, you can drill two new holes in the bottom and replace the gear, no problem. The first time I flew that, it seemed SO FAST! If you search this forum for "GP Super Sportster" you'll find a very informative thread.

I just got a 46" Aspera from 3D Hobby Shop, and have flown it a few times. It's a super-easy landing plane (only weighs 3 lbs., same as my Super Sportster), yet it's bigger. I might have bought the last one, and it's soon to be replaced by a small Osiris, and that might be your next plane. Should be available in a few weeks.

That's my $.02.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Last edited by tlr-boise; Apr 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM.