SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
Discussion
Propel Toys® Mini Apache® Remote-Controlled Helicopter

Hi all,
i picked up a two of these $20 Heli's from Kohls for my kids for xmas. they run great and have no complaints except for i can not find a way to change the IR channel on the helicopter. both are set for the b channel and the remote shows an a, b ,c switch on it but i cannot see a switch on the helicopter. does any one have any experience with this helicopter and know how to switch channels? i went to rooftopbrands website but the they are under construction for the next week?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/elec...elicopter.jsp#
mikeyaz is offline Find More Posts by mikeyaz
Last edited by mikeyaz; Dec 27, 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add more detail
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Jun 2004
86 Posts
The helicopter channel is not changeable, only the transmitter is. You have to take one back to the store and buy a different one with a different channel on the box. The only reason I can think the transmitter is changeable is for ease of packaging or making. I got mine from JC Penney and it is an awesome little toy for 20 bucks. Mine is C channel and it says it right on the front of the box.
Bryan E is offline Find More Posts by Bryan E
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
The helis I got from Walgreens will let you use any of the 3 channels you want to.

I just set the channel on the transmitter, turn on the heli and the blue light starts blinking, then turn on the transmitter and the receiver sets itself to that channel (blue light goes solid). If the blue light still blinks after after a few seconds I give the throttle a quick blip and the heli's receiver locks right on.

If that doesn't work, go to Walgreens and get a couple from there. They are 3 channel and are $20. There is a huge thread about the Walgreens heli here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127618

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Rooftop Brands Apache

This is the best 20 bucks you can spend on a toy. I've had mine since Christmas and can fly it like a pro and land it within the confines of a CD case.
I can't fly it on any channel, though. It's a B channel. I had a Micro Flyers Huey and a couple of it's cheaper and not-as-accurate imitations and this Apache flies longer, looks cooler (minus the two props and no tail prop) and is easier to bring in for soft, realistic landings without the spin and blowback drift of the Huey. It comes with 8 replaceable blades, extra main stabilizer, 10 screws, a mini screw driver and stabilizer connectors. It's nice to see a company put out so much for so little!
ArmchairFlyboy is offline Find More Posts by ArmchairFlyboy
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
Got a link for it?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Last edited by Sir Raleigh; Jan 10, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:46 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,507 Posts
The Kohls copter is just a 2 channel, my nephew got it for christmas. I flew it and it flies better than the Air Hogs, but most three channel Like the Walgreens copter will still fly better with more control.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
The 'typical' arrangement for IR helis (Airhogs, Walcopter) is that the receiver binds to whichever channel is set on the transmitter at powerup.

Unlike radio helis, IRs want the aircraft powered before the transmitter.

No firsthand experience with the Apache though, anything is possible.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Propel - Stealth II Heli -Trim

My Stealth heli purchased at Walmart now rotates to left and trim has no effect. I changed to upper rotor assembly but did not help. How does the trim work? Any suggestions how to repair would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Lmartin is offline Find More Posts by Lmartin
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Got one, it flies great, has spare parts, but I broke the main rotor shaft assembly, and they do not include a spare. Nothing else broke at all. No luck finding a replacement anywhere on the net. So I am grounded. This site is still under construction? Unit was purchased at best buy.
mpdoll is offline Find More Posts by mpdoll
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:08 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
hi purchased a propel 3 channel ir gyro helicopter. i 'm having problems taking off
it acts like its off balance or something. can someone please help rooftop isn't available
until next week. propeller turn but no lift off.
prettygirl is offline Find More Posts by prettygirl
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
first hand exp. with this bird....no, the controller will not change...the switch is there but the 6 i opened up only had 2 wires thru the switch while the same brand "shark 3 channel" has 3 in and 3 out...

gotta look at the box...
we got 3 boxes of the apache and they did not mark the paint scheme on the heli box...i guess they dont give those assem guys pens, more wire...
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Last edited by boxhead530; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: i cant smell...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
chopper gone

my chopper just took off and flew by it self untill in disappered !
I'm guessing it pick up another chanel from somewhere and just followed it, my son is is very upset! now the BJ's i bought it from is out bummer !
desper is offline Find More Posts by desper
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:49 PM
Boothwyn, PA
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Try Walgreens. They have this same type by Propel called the Micropter. It is $20. I picked up one today to replace the blue one i got at Kohls that didn't work.
zeros is offline Find More Posts by zeros
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
uncontrolled spin

My son's helio spins uncontrollably and the trim controls do not help. any help?
bump1629 is offline Find More Posts by bump1629