HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2009
136 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 40 size ARF

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN4440

Picked up one of these today - didn't see a thread on it after I searched "mustang" and "P-51". I'm guessing it's because either it's "oh great, another Mustang" or the fact that this airplane is really an ARF version of the PTS glow bird that Hangar 9 has been offering for some time now...or maybe I just suck at searching! But this one's got an electric option from the outset and from the looks of the manual it's a pretty straightforward build as an electric airplane.

I just maidened my Pulse XT40, and this plane seems like a good logical next step to flying my H9 Bluenose...which is built but won't be flown until I'm ready to fly that 11 lb. nightmare.

The build on this Mustang seems very similar to my Pulse. The manual suggests a 60A ESC, E-Flite Power 46, and a 4S 4500 mah battery. I'll probably build with a higher-power ESC, the Power 46, and will use my dual-2S-4500 mah setup from the Pulse.

A quick check of the box shows great packaging, and a high build quality on par with the Pulse....and better than most found (me included) with the bigger Bluenose Mustang. Optional are the installation of flap servos and installation of Robart retracts. I'm not going to do either initially in order to keep the AUW down. Maybe I'll do them later. I was happy to see that the factory pre-hinged the aielerons, flaps, and elevator.

Anyway..figured I'd start a thread on it...it appears it's selling as most of the site have it back ordered...but it's obviously available since I picked it up at my LHS store today. Interestingly H9's site says "available January 2010".

I'll update you guys as the build starts!
s.lang is online now Find More Posts by s.lang
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:18 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
I have the H-9 60 size P51 Marie. Power 60, E-Flight 60 ah ESC(Switch Mode), 6 cell 4200 mah battery, 15-10 APC-E prop, AUW 8 1/2 lb. Airplane flys great. E-Flights 60 ah ESC and Power 46 on 4 cell would probably work great on the PTS version. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.lang View Post
http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN4440

Optional are the installation of flap servos and installation of Robart retracts. I'm not going to do either initially in order to keep the AUW down. Maybe I'll do them later.
Does it look like any other retracts can be used?
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:15 PM
Lake Havasu Az.
Joined May 2008
65 Posts
Hangar 9 P-51 Sport 40 Arf

Maiden mine today,Great Flyer
Thad Eckland is offline Find More Posts by Thad Eckland
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
136 Posts
Nice, Thad...any issues to report on the build?? Did you build "by the book" or use your own power system spec?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Dunno, haven't bothered to research yet since I'm not planning on retracts initially.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
Lake Havasu Az.
Joined May 2008
65 Posts
Really nice build, used HS225BB for ail,flaps HS322HD's for elev,and rudder, motor lighting 50 outrunner, 70amp esc with no bec, receiver spectrum ar6200 a123 receiver batt. and a turnigy 4s 14.8 5000,as of now I have the stock gear in, and they are awesome.Using a 13x8 apc prop. with lots of room.
Last edited by Thad Eckland; Dec 30, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
Really, I meant to do that...
Pensacola, Fl.
Joined Feb 2008
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
I'm in the process of putting my P-51 together and have just installed the stock fixed landing gear and am considering mechanical retracts instead of the recommended retract setup. It doesn't look like it would be too much of a problem at all as there is plenty of room in the fuselage to install a retract servo where one would be required. A plane that looks as nice as this should definitely have the gear up when in the air...

I'm using the Power 46 which bolts right on, a 60 Esc, and I'm setting up the plane to fly with the flaps which will be nice to have considering the size of the field I fly at.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plane will be accepted and any modifications the plane may eventually receive. So far, it is my best warbird yet, and I can't wait to get it in the air...
CKD315 is offline Find More Posts by CKD315
Last edited by CKD315; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2009
136 Posts
I'm interested in seeing how you fare with a mech. retract setup, please update the thread!

I've been flying mine for a few weeks now...in fact it's in the truck here at work for a little lunchtime flying today!

I did end up going with the flaps and the Robart retracts. As I said in PM, the Robarts are working well but airing them up is a bit of a pain....just another thing to deal with. Flaps work great.

The setup I went with is a power 46, Phoenix Ice Lite 100, and 2 each 4500 mah 2S batteries in series. Plane has plenty of power for me with that setup. Probably not the setup for someone who wants to break the sound barrier, byt WAY more than enough for scale flight.

I had to add quite a bit of weight to the nose, even with the batteries pushed all the way forward. Still, my cg is about 3/8" aft of where the manual states it should be, but the plane does not fly tail-heavy. In fact, it still feels a bit nose heavy. I'm going to remove weight in small increments from the nose and fly until I get it right on. When I get there, I'll post up my cg but keep in mind it'll only be applicable to planes set up with the retracts and flaps, because of the additional weight they add.

I really like the airplane, it's becoming my favorite......
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:14 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
I will be running an SK 50-55/480 which is the rough equivalent of the Power 46, an 80amp ESC & a Flightmax 5S4000/5000.

Was waiting to see what Eflite does with the heavier electric jack screw retracts they are supposed to be releasing in the spring. Guys using the lighter versions on the 15 size Bonanza seem to be happy with them.

Noticed that hobby city just released a series of them, but trying to get size & weight capacity measurements looks to be a problem as the descriptions don't look to match the actual hardware.

Have a few other planes to finish up so have time to sit on the P-51.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:51 PM
Lake Havasu Az.
Joined May 2008
65 Posts
great aircraft

Been flying mine since the new year, what an awesome plane.Installed robarts in mine, hangar 9 has made them to fit right in.One thing though the stock gear is really good. Had to cut the pressure back alittle because the gear kinda slams up.Also went to a masterscrew 13x8 electric prop, what a differance in power.I use my flaps on every landing,it takes up alittle real estate.
Last edited by Thad Eckland; Feb 03, 2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:35 AM
Joined Sep 2009
136 Posts
Agreed Thad. I use 1/2 flap on landing and she lands perfect. I run about 55 PSI on the robarts and they work perfectly.

I think the manual has the cg set up too far forward. I had to add quite a bit of weight to the nose to get to their cg, and the plane flew fine, but taxiing through grass, there is no way to keep it from tipping on its' nose. Plus, I had to use a lot of up elevator on takeoff and landing to keep the prop from striking.

Moved the battery rearward, no appreciable effect. Took about half the wieght out of the nose, and it's better, and it has moved the cg rearward, but NO effect on flight. I think I'm going to take all of my added weight out of the nose and see how she flies. The effect on flight has been unnoticeable so far. Once I get it how I like it I'll post up my final AUW and cg.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
I'm putting the finishing touches on mine now. I'm using a Power 46 with E-Flite 60A ESC and the 13x6.5 prop recommended in the manual. Does anybody have any thoughts on a 5S pack with this configuration? I happen to have one but would need to buy a 4S.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:44 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
I'm putting the finishing touches on mine now. I'm using a Power 46 with E-Flite 60A ESC and the 13x6.5 prop recommended in the manual. Does anybody have any thoughts on a 5S pack with this configuration? I happen to have one but would need to buy a 4S.
5s would be OK. Use your watt meter and find the right prop for it and you are in business.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:05 PM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Thanks pmmartin.

I ran it up on the Wattmeter and it looks like 5S paired with the 13x6.5 will be just fine. The problem however is that access to the forward portion of the battery compartment is very limited, so I'm thinking I may need to bite the bullet on a 4S battery simply for size reasons (can't get my fingers in there to tighten the forward battery strap.

Overall I love the design of this model, but I wish H9 had extended the hatch forward a little further to easily secure the front strap.

Other than that my build is done. Some observations:

1. Really solid build quality, thick, sturdy pushrods - just feels top notch throughout.
2. The fixed gear and mount system is about the best I've ever seen in an ARF. Would love to get the Robarts, but another $150 . ouch ..
3. I ended up using a Hyperion spinner because I couldn't get the collett to bite properly on the recommended Dubro plastic spinner. Just couldn't get it tightened properly. With the Hyperion one it locked down just fine.
4. Looks like she's going to need a LOT of weight in the nose! Mine currently balances about 1.5" back from the recommended point and that's with the 5S battery in place. Yikes!
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785