SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
4 CH Catalina Radio Remote Control Electric Twin Power RC Sea Plane

Well lets start it off like this. im new to the RC Aviation world, and would really like to buy this plane, http://www.nitroplanes.com/new204chkara.html ,but i dont know if i should buy the standard version with the normal battery and brush motor for $70.00, or the upgraded version with a lipo battery and brushless motor for 140.00, but it has no charger and ac adapter. I want ur opinions on it, and which one i should buy, and if possible if you guys can find me everything i need to get this plane up and running.

this is the standard version plane:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/new204chkara.html

Upgraded version of the plane:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chcawdubrpo.html
butrflyblade is offline Find More Posts by butrflyblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:08 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,693 Posts
Just my two cents, and I'm sure there will be other opinions...BUT

If you're new, that probably means you 1.) don't have a lipo charger and 2.) you don't know how to use/maintain/store lipo batteries. NOTE: They are not safe if you don't know what you're doing. If you over charge, they catch fire. If you discharge to much, they die and get VERY hot.

I don't mean this to scare you away from lipos, as they are truly the best power/weight option. But it's not something you should START the hobby with.

Also, why this plane? It's twin engine, which will make it harder to control. If I were you, I'd start with a high wing trainer that's less than $100 bucks and will give you a flavor for flying before you decide if you want to jump in with both feet and go brushless/nitro/gas/etc.

If you are set on this plane and you're new...go with the cheapest version. It has enough power and it's a lot of fun to fly. PLUS, brushed motors don't die when they hit water. NiMh batteries don't catch fire like lipo's do.

For the performance you would obtain by going lipo, I'd stick with NiMh
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
Just my two cents, and I'm sure there will be other opinions...BUT

If you're new, that probably means you 1.) don't have a lipo charger and 2.) you don't know how to use/maintain/store lipo batteries. NOTE: They are not safe if you don't know what you're doing. If you over charge, they catch fire. If you discharge to much, they die and get VERY hot.

I don't mean this to scare you away from lipos, as they are truly the best power/weight option. But it's not something you should START the hobby with.

Also, why this plane? It's twin engine, which will make it harder to control. If I were you, I'd start with a high wing trainer that's less than $100 bucks and will give you a flavor for flying before you decide if you want to jump in with both feet and go brushless/nitro/gas/etc.

If you are set on this plane and you're new...go with the cheapest version. It has enough power and it's a lot of fun to fly. PLUS, brushed motors don't die when they hit water. NiMh batteries don't catch fire like lipo's do.

For the performance you would obtain by going lipo, I'd stick with NiMh
well, it seems like you know what your doing, but i have had past experiences with rc aviation, but its been a long time since ive actually flown.
thanks for your help,
happy flying. (ill be sure to post me flying the plane on its maiden flight)
butrflyblade is offline Find More Posts by butrflyblade
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
butrflyblade

As a beginner you should really visit this forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/

The forum you posted in is really for questions on batteries and chargers, not aircraft,motors,ESCs, and other equpment.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
that "cat" will last you one bad landing wich if you don't know how to correct the issues with these models can come really fast

walk bevore you try to run and get a durable trainer like the multiplex eazystar first.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder