Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:09 PM
Baldwin Park
Joined Dec 2009
98 Posts
Question
New to me Raptor E550, Help with set up.

Hello everyone.

I have lurked this site for a week, and appreciate all the info this site has to offer. I was into RC off road buggies in the years surrounding 1990, and have always been fascinated with Helicopters.

My first one (bought last week) is a H-M CP v3 which has only hovered for less then 10 minutes before it blew the ESC/Mixer/tail motor. My local HS should have the warranty parts for me soon.

During the down time I have done some research, and from what I have read the Raptor is one of the most durable and stable birds out.

I just bought a E550 Raptor (never been flown) from a private party, and wanted to get opinions on the current set up.

I have the following items.

"2379" OBL43/11-30H Ripper Motor. Is this a High Performance motor, or a good basic set up? I would prefer longer flight times.
"8043" ACE BLC-75 ESC
GY-401 Gyro. Is this one good? Does it work ok with these servos?
Spektrum AR7000 reciever
DS821 Servos x4
Hobbieco VoltWatch2

Things I still need to acquire.

Radio - Considering a Futaba 7C 2.4GHz with R617FS (I can get one for a good deal used), but am also open to a good deal on a spektrum since I already have the receiver.

Batteries - Considering the A123 style set up to save $$$ How many cells can I link per pack, and what voltage will it run?

Charger - What is used for the A123 type and possible LiPo for the future?

Spare parts, and a 10T pinion gear.

Thanks in advance.
Surg is offline Find More Posts by Surg
Last edited by Surg; Dec 26, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg View Post
Hello everyone.

I have lurked this site for a week, and appreciate all the info this site has to offer. I was into RC off road buggies in the years surrounding 1990, and have always been fascinated with Helicopters.

My first one (bought last week) is a H-M CP v3 which has only hovered for less then 10 minutes before it blew the ESC/Mixer/tail motor. My local HS should have the warranty parts for me soon.

During the down time I have done some research, and from what I have read the Raptor is one of the most durable and stable birds out.

I just bought a E550 Raptor (never been flown) from a private party, and wanted to get opinions on the current set up.

I have the following items.

"2379" OBL43/11-30H Ripper Motor. Is this a High Performance motor, or a good basic set up? I would prefer longer flight times.
"8043" ACE BLC-75 ESC
GY-401 Gyro. Is this one good? Does it work ok with these servos?
Spektrum AR7000 reciever
DS821 Servos x4
Hobbieco VoltWatch2

Things I still need to acquire.

Radio - Considering a Futaba 7C 2.4GHz with R617FS (I can get one for a good deal used), but am also open to a good deal on a spektrum since I already have the receiver.

Batteries - Considering the A123 style set up to save $$$ How many cells can I link per pack, and what voltage will it run?

Charger - What is used for the A123 type and possible LiPo for the future?

Spare parts, and a 10T pinion gear.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have have owned a 550 and they are a nice heli. Very robust.
If you can get a faster tail servo. That will help but the one you have will do.

I would go 1 x 6s 5000 lipo or 2 x 3s 5000 coupled together. Hobby King is a great place to get them. Turnigy lipos work great. Just remember that you have limited space for the batteries so measure first.
As for radio my prefference would be a JR DSX9 or S minimum a pectrum DX7 2.4.
Good Luck

P.S. dont try to fly it by your self if you havnt flown helis before. You WILL kill it. Go to a club and ask for help.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:36 PM
Baldwin Park
Joined Dec 2009
98 Posts
Thats a good price on the battery. How long do these take to recharge?
How fast can the A123 batteries be charged?

I'm a bit impatient, and don't want to be stocking multiple packs quite yet.

Thanks,
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:04 PM
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
624 Posts
That's going to be a nice heli, but if you are looking for looong flight times the A123's will have to be run in parallel as the are only about 2100 mAh per cell and a 3P pack will be quite heavy. I would suggest a couple sets of cheap 6S packs. On a 10T pinion that will give you about a 1950 rpm headspeed and maybe 8 minutes of hovering on a 5000 mAh pack. A 9T pinion would lower the headspeed a little and give another minute or so of flight. Another option for just starting out with your gear is a 5S 5000 mAh battery and an 11T pinion. That would give you just over 1800 rpm versus just under 1800 for the 6S and 9T pinion. Either would be fine for a sport/learning setup. For spares I would get the usual- main shaft, spindle shaft, tail boom, blades, 111T main gear, landing gear and maybe some pitch control hoops.
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:22 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, you need a minimum of two packs. Hyperion and various other manufacturers now have very fast-charging packs, but they still take around 20 minutes to charge, and a charger that can do that for a 550-class is pretty expensive. But, if you do that, you can fly packs about as fast as you should ever need to (a 10 minute break between flights is about right, flying gets intense pretty quickly).

Start learning patience... this hobby will help you with that, but it will be very expensive learning if you're not very careful. If it isn't right, don't try it, fix it.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:16 AM
Baldwin Park
Joined Dec 2009
98 Posts
20 minutes to charge sounds good to me for LiPo's...
Prices have come down for LiPo packs, but how about their cycle life?
My LHS scared me with the $300 per pack price!

It seems that the threads I have been reading about the A123 packs are a bit dated (all 2008 threads).. Are they still a strong option? How fast can they be charged?
What type of airtime with the limiting factor of my ESC (BLC-75 can handle up to 22.2V )
I guess this limits me to 6 Cells in series @ 2100mah = low flight time...
A 6c2p would give me 4200mah, but i'm not sure if it will fit.
I'm not interested in making it into a 620 quite yet...

This from TP.....

http://www.tppacks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=aCNV%2De500

"In an e550, with 550 mm blades, you can use a single 10-cell a123 pack, a Z30A-800, the stock 10T pinion and a Phx HV 45, for instance, and have a great lightweight intermedaite level setup. Headspeed will be around 2000 rpm, which can be dialed down, as desired, using the ESC's governor."

Keep me in mind if you know anyone who is selling a DX7 2.4 TX, or a fast charger...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
6 cell 2100 is going to die instantly at that current. You need about 4000 mAh minimum, something like http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6229 (remember you need 6s, for $190-odd each, or two 3s per set). I have a bunch of this series of lipos, take care of them (with a good charger and never, ever discharging them too deep) and they will last really well. They actually get better with use for the first few hundred cycles...

You'll need a charger: http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6634 or for 2x 3s packs this one: http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6633

The advantage of the dual charger is more power: that can actually do a 5s charge on two 3s 4000s at the same time, the first one is a cheaper solution but won't charge as fast.

A123s are good, and can charge almost as fast as the Hyperion lipos (exactly as fast, if you are charger limited). However, they're really heavy, and not sold in made-up packs at the moment.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:11 AM
Baldwin Park
Joined Dec 2009
98 Posts
Hmm. Nice chargers, but a bit pricey...

How about the iCharger 106B-plus 250W 6s Balance/Charger. How fast would this charge the Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 30C Lipo Pack?

Whats the formula for figuring it out?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:33 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
5000 mAh x 22.2 V is 111 Watt-hours (volts times amps is watts, the rest cancel out). The charging process is about 80% efficient, so you need about 139 Watt-hours. 139 Watt-hours divided by 250 W is 0.56 hours, or about 35 minutes.

But, the iCharger won't reach full power until pretty much the moment the pack reaches termination voltage and the current starts to drop again, because it is limited to 10A output, which will make it take a little bit longer than that. Hyperion chargers in this range are power limited, so the 720i for instance will put 250W into the pack until termination.

The dual-channel 615i I linked to will do it in 23 minutes, presuming it's a dual 3s pack. So, you get what you pay for.

The iCharger seems a fine gadget, good value, but it is not a match for the big Hyperions... and you have a big model to charge, so you're going to be trading off number of packs vs charger cost vs flight time. My choice would be to put the money in the charger, because chargers are not consumables and won't get crash damaged.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:31 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,609 Posts
If you can spend the money on a GOOD charger. It should you for a long time. I have 2 Hyperion chargers. The Turnegy batteries are All you need. Excellent bang for the buck. I got suckered in to buying EXPENSIVE Name Brand batteries. Waste of good money.
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:29 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,304 Posts
our iCharger 106B-plus 250W charges a 6000mah 6S Trex 600 pack in about 25 mins.At 10 amp it just manages it.
Using 2 Turnigy 3000 6S 30C packs in parallel it is a good combo.
great lipos,great charger.
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
If that's true, then either the iCharger is lying to you or you haven't timed it right... because the numbers don't add up. 10A or 250 can't actually charge that pack in that time, it's not possible. Are you not taking the pack to 80%? If you were at 60% capacity, that would make the numbers work.

As for the packs... I've wasted a fair bit of money on 'cheap' packs too. Not to say Turnigy packs are bad, I have no idea, just that someone with less experience needs to carefully weigh up the reported experience on here.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
624 Posts
One thing to remember on batteries is their useful life in months/years. Stored and used properly they will lose about 5% capacity per year and up if abused or stored at high temps and full charge. If you plan on flying daily you will probably use up the life through cycles, but if you only fly once a month then the A123s or some less expensive LiPo's might be better for you from a price per flight standpoint. At least now the technology has advanced and the priced dropped such that you aren't paying $400 for quality packs that will both work well and last. The last year and a half has been great for large E-helis!
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:26 PM
Baldwin Park
Joined Dec 2009
98 Posts
WOW, I just realized that the two LHS near me don't stock parts for TT E550's.
I'm just trying to buy the 10T pinion gear.

Where is the best deals online for parts?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:23 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg View Post
WOW, I just realized that the two LHS near me don't stock parts for TT E550's.
I'm just trying to buy the 10T pinion gear.

Where is the best deals online for parts?
Century pinions will work. I think they truer so thatís all that I use.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man